Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alec Morris

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Alec Morris

This year's QB crop is very deep. While Saban's reputation as a talent developer at many positions slots guys up a round many cases, I do not think Saban's reputation with quarterbacks would gain the same response from GMs. AJ would likely fall where his draft grade by the prognosticators dictates. Also, I don't think the need for QB is as high as it was a few years ago when the quality of QB play was not very deep past the "elites." A lot of rebuilding programs are invested in recent high draft picks and that will likely put guys who are having quality seasons a little lower than their pure talent dictates. Other middling franchises seem to have QBs that they still believe can be their signal caller, too.

A deep class of QBs combined with a lack of wide QB need in the NFL kind of spells it out for AJ McCarron. He would be best served returning for his Senior season and being the best Senior in college. Another year similar or better to this year's season would solidify him as a first round pick in my opinion.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

To add on some more: there are 4 NFL teams by my estimation that may consider drafting a QB early: Buffalo, Arizona, Kansas City, and the Jets.

Two of those teams I have my doubts:

1. Buffalo isn't getting poor play from Fitzpatrick, he isn't elite but he's good enough to let them draft at higher levels of need before reassessing him as a long-term solution.

2. The Jets just signed Sanchez to an extension and traded for Tebow. I think they look elsewhere before cutting their losses with what they've already invested at quarterback.

So that leaves KC and Arizona as the only teams that I think is truly looking for a starter. Buffalo may look to use a 2nd or 3rd rounder for a developmental guy at QB. KC and Arizona are probably going to be looking for Matt Barkley or bust. Without a lot of suitors for AJ beyond developmental/back-up roles, he's better off looking to continue building his resume to get himself slotted as the best Senior available in 2014 when some additional teams may decide their current direction isn't working or one of these teams passes on a QB this season.

BamaNation All-American sanjosecrimson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by tide power fan View Post
    I always felt AJ would stay unless, We won a NC.
    What if AJ had a coming out party against auburn, UGA and whomever we meet in a BCS bowl game??

would that change his draft status??

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Morris comes from the QB factory, Texas. Cooper played on a weak team this year. Not sure what he will bring. AJ will gain nothing by staying. Alabama is not going to open up enough for him to progress. He had four years of college under his belt. With luck, he will be drafted by a good team with an established QB so he can develop. The Heisman and a second or third round pick likely went out the window with a pick thrown at the end vs TAMU.
    Why are Bama QBs hurt so bad by the end of the season, they have trouble throwing. They aren't running QBs and seldom get hit?

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The thing you underrate is that an in-state kid like McCarron probably relishes the opportunity to be the starting QB for Alabama. For guys like Phillip Sims, he would probably leave after this season if he finished the last 4 games strong. Even if McCarron led Alabama to a national title again, I think he would try to be the first to win three.

BamaNation First Team RollinTider1335's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Alec Morris

IF AJ comes back next year, we will still be very good another year. It would be good for a Cooper to learn under a vet like AJ for a year. The future is bright for Bama!

Love it!! RTR

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    Can't say much at this point. He's clearly got the size and the arm strength, but the real game takes place between the ears. We'll see how he handles reading defenses, working through progressions, and post-snap decision-making this spring.
    are you talking about freddie kitchens?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    The thing you underrate is that an in-state kid like McCarron probably relishes the opportunity to be the starting QB for Alabama. For guys like Phillip Sims, he would probably leave after this season if he finished the last 4 games strong. Even if McCarron led Alabama to a national title again, I think he would try to be the first to win three.
    I don't think that really was the case until very recently. All of his talk last year and this was about leaving early. Also, his dad has been really pushing him in that direction. I think that he's finally listened to the outside advice (including Saban's) about where he would be vis a vis the rest of the QB crop next year as opposed to this...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American EscaTider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Alec Morris

It would be great to see him next season with this group of receivers. Cooper and Cyrus Jones will only get better with a full year in Cochran's program, and guys like Norwood, Bell, and Christion Jones will have a ton of snaps under their belts. Add D. White and C. Black coming back from injury, as well as guys like Shinn and Woodson and well...you get the idea. Also some fresh talent at the tight-end position to work with.

AJ could put some really good numbers, and would likely start the season on most Heisman watch lists.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

In regards to AJ returning, I hope the OL is in good shape to protect him. We have talented guys ready to fill DJ, Chance and Barrett's position. I just hope they live up to the potential.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    In regards to AJ returning, I hope the OL is in good shape to protect him. We have talented guys ready to fill DJ, Chance and Barrett's position. I just hope they live up to the potential.
    Losing the linemen after this year will be tough but there are talented guys ready to step in IMO. Cyrus Kouandjio and Anthony Steen returning should be positive. Leon Brown, the JUCO kid, is going to contend for right tackle with Austin Shepherd. Ryan Kelley and Chad Lindsay will contend for the center job. Arie K and Alphonse Taylor will battle it out for Warmack's old spot. Then you add in perhaps Laremy Tunsil. The depth and competition should be very good.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EscaTider View Post
    It would be great to see him next season with this group of receivers. Cooper and Cyrus Jones will only get better with a full year in Cochran's program, and guys like Norwood, Bell, and Christion Jones will have a ton of snaps under their belts. Add D. White and C. Black coming back from injury, as well as guys like Shinn and Woodson and well...you get the idea. Also some fresh talent at the tight-end position to work with.

AJ could put some really good numbers, and would likely start the season on most Heisman watch lists.
    Agreed and I also think Bama is in good shape to land Robert Foster, the nation's top prep receiver. OJ Howard should be a nice target at tight end/H Back as well. Then you add in the running backs and the incoming running back recruits like Derrick Henry.

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Earle saying AJ may be consider staying is Huge! I really hope so. However, Ely is No slouch. Kid was really good at the same school Murray came from & kid at Perdue. Sims offers a lot more than we see right now. Morris looks good but is he ready? It was just one game but Cooper looked to have a really bad night this year, watched him throw 4 picks.

It will be a battle for the job for sure.