Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alec Morris

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Alec Morris

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I don't think that really was the case until very recently. All of his talk last year and this was about leaving early. Also, his dad has been really pushing him in that direction. I think that he's finally listened to the outside advice (including Saban's) about where he would be vis a vis the rest of the QB crop next year as opposed to this...
    I hope Saban has gotten the better of the other chatter. I know we all love him because he's "our guy" but McCarron will be very disappointed if he leaves in this class of quarterbacks.

Matt Barkley is clearly the first QB gone while Geno Smith and EJ Manuel are probably the next closest to first round possibilities. I'd watch out for Tyler Bray declaring and shooting up the board like Tannehill last draft. He's got NFL arm talent and he will likely impress in all the pre-draft events and work outs. Like I said, there are really only 4 teams that seem potentially ready to take a QB early. With so many "upside guys" like Klein and Matt Scott available after the top prospects get drafted, McCarron going in the 4th round or later is highly likely.

The competition for being a top QB taken in 2014 is so much better for McCarron, he shouldn't even be seriously considering early declaration. Aaron Murray, Bridgwater, Mariota, Manziel, and McCarron would be the best returning draft-eligible QBs in the 2013 season with Murray and McCarron being the ideal NFL QB types of the group.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I hope Saban has gotten the better of the other chatter. I know we all love him because he's "our guy" but McCarron will be very disappointed if he leaves in this class of quarterbacks.

Matt Barkley is clearly the first QB gone while Geno Smith and EJ Manuel are probably the next closest to first round possibilities. I'd watch out for Tyler Bray declaring and shooting up the board like Tannehill last draft. He's got NFL arm talent and he will likely impress in all the pre-draft events and work outs. Like I said, there are really only 4 teams that seem potentially ready to take a QB early. With so many "upside guys" like Klein and Matt Scott available after the top prospects get drafted, McCarron going in the 4th round or later is highly likely.

The competition for being a top QB taken in 2014 is so much better for McCarron, he shouldn't even be seriously considering early declaration. Aaron Murray, Bridgwater, Mariota, Manziel, and McCarron would be the best returning draft-eligible QBs in the 2013 season with Murray and McCarron being the ideal NFL QB types of the group.
    You also have guys like Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones and possibly Logan Thomas of Virginia Tech who would be ahead of him in the 2013 Draft. Wilson has the chance to be a very good NFL QB. The guy can throw the ball. Jones is very good and will make an NFL roster too. Thomas is a monster athlete that will test off the charts at the combine. Returning to VA Tech next year probably won't do him any good.
    Last edited by BamaMan09; November 15th, 2012 at 05:00 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Yeah, I kinda forgot to group Wilson, Jones, and Thomas in the group with upside in the midrounds. AJ McCarron isn't an upside prospect. Nothing about his game is "jaw dropping" and that isn't to say he isn't NFL starter quality. I think he could start in the NFL at some point. The problem with AJ is that there are a lot of guys who have solidified resumes up at the top and "jaw dropping" qualities to scouts. The mid-round candidates he is jockeying to be that 2nd round guys who a team is trying to develop behind a veteran all have qualities that make them more inticing. Scott can flat out toss it and has pretty good legs. Wilson is tough as a nail and has a better arm than Mallet in my opinion...maybe not pure strength but better touch and location. Klein has that Tebow/Newton athletic quality that may attract a team.

This is a pretty high quality NFL QB prospect group without McCarron.

BamaNation Second Team

I've been questioning just how healthy is AJ right now. I really think that hit he took against Miss St. did more than bruise his back. I just hope he makes it through the year.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMark. View Post
    I've been questioning just how healthy is AJ right now. I really think that hit he took against Miss St. did more than bruise his back. I just hope he makes it through the year.
    I hope he has very, very limited snaps this weekend. Ely and Sims will be good enough to beat WCU with ease.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

Alec Morris

And he could be a 3rd / 4th rounder that wins the starting spot. See Russell Wilson. He has a lot he could work on but we've still got a lot a season left. We'll have a loooooong offseason to talk about this and uniform changes

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Looking ahead, Johnny Manziel will be draft eligible in 2014.