Question: Alec Morris

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The thing you underrate is that an in-state kid like McCarron probably relishes the opportunity to be the starting QB for Alabama. For guys like Phillip Sims, he would probably leave after this season if he finished the last 4 games strong. Even if McCarron led Alabama to a national title again, I think he would try to be the first to win three.
I don't think that really was the case until very recently. All of his talk last year and this was about leaving early. Also, his dad has been really pushing him in that direction. I think that he's finally listened to the outside advice (including Saban's) about where he would be vis a vis the rest of the QB crop next year as opposed to this...

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
It would be great to see him next season with this group of receivers. Cooper and Cyrus Jones will only get better with a full year in Cochran's program, and guys like Norwood, Bell, and Christion Jones will have a ton of snaps under their belts. Add D. White and C. Black coming back from injury, as well as guys like Shinn and Woodson and well...you get the idea. Also some fresh talent at the tight-end position to work with.

AJ could put some really good numbers, and would likely start the season on most Heisman watch lists.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In regards to AJ returning, I hope the OL is in good shape to protect him. We have talented guys ready to fill DJ, Chance and Barrett's position. I just hope they live up to the potential.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
In regards to AJ returning, I hope the OL is in good shape to protect him. We have talented guys ready to fill DJ, Chance and Barrett's position. I just hope they live up to the potential.
Losing the linemen after this year will be tough but there are talented guys ready to step in IMO. Cyrus Kouandjio and Anthony Steen returning should be positive. Leon Brown, the JUCO kid, is going to contend for right tackle with Austin Shepherd. Ryan Kelley and Chad Lindsay will contend for the center job. Arie K and Alphonse Taylor will battle it out for Warmack's old spot. Then you add in perhaps Laremy Tunsil. The depth and competition should be very good.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
It would be great to see him next season with this group of receivers. Cooper and Cyrus Jones will only get better with a full year in Cochran's program, and guys like Norwood, Bell, and Christion Jones will have a ton of snaps under their belts. Add D. White and C. Black coming back from injury, as well as guys like Shinn and Woodson and well...you get the idea. Also some fresh talent at the tight-end position to work with.

AJ could put some really good numbers, and would likely start the season on most Heisman watch lists.
Agreed and I also think Bama is in good shape to land Robert Foster, the nation's top prep receiver. OJ Howard should be a nice target at tight end/H Back as well. Then you add in the running backs and the incoming running back recruits like Derrick Henry.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Earle saying AJ may be consider staying is Huge! I really hope so. However, Ely is No slouch. Kid was really good at the same school Murray came from & kid at Perdue. Sims offers a lot more than we see right now. Morris looks good but is he ready? It was just one game but Cooper looked to have a really bad night this year, watched him throw 4 picks.

It will be a battle for the job for sure.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think that really was the case until very recently. All of his talk last year and this was about leaving early. Also, his dad has been really pushing him in that direction. I think that he's finally listened to the outside advice (including Saban's) about where he would be vis a vis the rest of the QB crop next year as opposed to this...
I hope Saban has gotten the better of the other chatter. I know we all love him because he's "our guy" but McCarron will be very disappointed if he leaves in this class of quarterbacks.

Matt Barkley is clearly the first QB gone while Geno Smith and EJ Manuel are probably the next closest to first round possibilities. I'd watch out for Tyler Bray declaring and shooting up the board like Tannehill last draft. He's got NFL arm talent and he will likely impress in all the pre-draft events and work outs. Like I said, there are really only 4 teams that seem potentially ready to take a QB early. With so many "upside guys" like Klein and Matt Scott available after the top prospects get drafted, McCarron going in the 4th round or later is highly likely.

The competition for being a top QB taken in 2014 is so much better for McCarron, he shouldn't even be seriously considering early declaration. Aaron Murray, Bridgwater, Mariota, Manziel, and McCarron would be the best returning draft-eligible QBs in the 2013 season with Murray and McCarron being the ideal NFL QB types of the group.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I hope Saban has gotten the better of the other chatter. I know we all love him because he's "our guy" but McCarron will be very disappointed if he leaves in this class of quarterbacks.

Matt Barkley is clearly the first QB gone while Geno Smith and EJ Manuel are probably the next closest to first round possibilities. I'd watch out for Tyler Bray declaring and shooting up the board like Tannehill last draft. He's got NFL arm talent and he will likely impress in all the pre-draft events and work outs. Like I said, there are really only 4 teams that seem potentially ready to take a QB early. With so many "upside guys" like Klein and Matt Scott available after the top prospects get drafted, McCarron going in the 4th round or later is highly likely.

The competition for being a top QB taken in 2014 is so much better for McCarron, he shouldn't even be seriously considering early declaration. Aaron Murray, Bridgwater, Mariota, Manziel, and McCarron would be the best returning draft-eligible QBs in the 2013 season with Murray and McCarron being the ideal NFL QB types of the group.
You also have guys like Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones and possibly Logan Thomas of Virginia Tech who would be ahead of him in the 2013 Draft. Wilson has the chance to be a very good NFL QB. The guy can throw the ball. Jones is very good and will make an NFL roster too. Thomas is a monster athlete that will test off the charts at the combine. Returning to VA Tech next year probably won't do him any good.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, I kinda forgot to group Wilson, Jones, and Thomas in the group with upside in the midrounds. AJ McCarron isn't an upside prospect. Nothing about his game is "jaw dropping" and that isn't to say he isn't NFL starter quality. I think he could start in the NFL at some point. The problem with AJ is that there are a lot of guys who have solidified resumes up at the top and "jaw dropping" qualities to scouts. The mid-round candidates he is jockeying to be that 2nd round guys who a team is trying to develop behind a veteran all have qualities that make them more inticing. Scott can flat out toss it and has pretty good legs. Wilson is tough as a nail and has a better arm than Mallet in my opinion...maybe not pure strength but better touch and location. Klein has that Tebow/Newton athletic quality that may attract a team.

This is a pretty high quality NFL QB prospect group without McCarron.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
I've been questioning just how healthy is AJ right now. I really think that hit he took against Miss St. did more than bruise his back. I just hope he makes it through the year.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I've been questioning just how healthy is AJ right now. I really think that hit he took against Miss St. did more than bruise his back. I just hope he makes it through the year.
I hope he has very, very limited snaps this weekend. Ely and Sims will be good enough to beat WCU with ease.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
And he could be a 3rd / 4th rounder that wins the starting spot. See Russell Wilson. He has a lot he could work on but we've still got a lot a season left. We'll have a loooooong offseason to talk about this and uniform changes ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.