Question: Alec Morris

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I was wondering what the boards thoughts are on Alec Morris at QB. I did a little research on him, and watched a little film. He thought to have a strong arm. He is a big kid 6'3" 225 lbs. I found an article that said he ran a 4.7 40. If this is true he isn't a statue back there.
The prospects of losing A.J. to the draft early have diminished in my opinion, but I could still see him going after this season depending on how things play out for him and Bama. I fell he is also getting some family pressure to make the jump. I don't feel Ely or Sims are the answer for us at QB. I could be wrong, but I wanted to see what you guys thought about Morris starting next year if A.J. isn't with us anymore.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
He showed up this summer in much better shape than he was during his senior season. Early reports were that he looked pretty good. But, not much has been said or would be expected to be said so far this fall. The spring will tell the tale.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was wondering what the boards thoughts are on Alec Morris at QB. I did a little research on him, and watched a little film. He thought to have a strong arm. He is a big kid 6'3" 225 lbs. I found an article that said he ran a 4.7 40. If this is true he isn't a statue back there.
The prospects of losing A.J. to the draft early have diminished in my opinion, but I could still see him going after this season depending on how things play out for him and Bama. I fell he is also getting some family pressure to make the jump. I don't feel Ely or Sims are the answer for us at QB. I could be wrong, but I wanted to see what you guys thought about Morris starting next year if A.J. isn't with us anymore.
I think that's changed with AJ. I think the odds now favor his returning next year...

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
if the draft was tomorrow, where would aj go...i'm thinking 3rd or 4th round. if that's the case, i don't think he'll go anywhere.

JustJim

Scout Team
Dec 5, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
Alec Morris is doing very well. If he had been able to enroll in January he would have pushed hard for #2 QB.

With Cooper coming in, next year is going to be very interesting.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Can't say much at this point. He's clearly got the size and the arm strength, but the real game takes place between the ears. We'll see how he handles reading defenses, working through progressions, and post-snap decision-making this spring.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think that's changed with AJ. I think the odds now favor his returning next year...
The only way I see AJ leaving now, is if Alabama somehow gets in the NC game and wins. That's about it.

His stock couldn't afford to take any hit, for him to have good draft status. The loss (and interceptions) knocked him out of the Heisman race and put a damper on things. I think he'll have reasons to want to come back next year, if Alabama doesn't win an NC, and teams will have a reason to want to see him play another year before they consider spending a higher pick on him.

However, if Alabama wins the next four games, and one of them is the NC game? Then things might look different...

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think Morris was always a developmental project. You never know with a guy like that. Like others have said we will know more this spring.

As for AJ, I knew coming into this season we had a ton of young players on defense and at some point we would have to "out score" the other team as apposed to our usual "MO" of just choking them to death and running the ball. The Texas A&M game WAS the game to define how good McCarron was. A&M is far from a great defense and he should have bombed them for 30 or more points minimum. While others made mistakes that contributed to that failure, Quarterbacks are judged by their ability to overcome adversity and lead their team to victory. I am a big AJ McCarron fan, but his best chance at making any NFL impact is to take every snap in college that is available to him. He has to be able to take over a game at the college level or he's not going to have any chance at the next level.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This year's QB crop is very deep. While Saban's reputation as a talent developer at many positions slots guys up a round many cases, I do not think Saban's reputation with quarterbacks would gain the same response from GMs. AJ would likely fall where his draft grade by the prognosticators dictates. Also, I don't think the need for QB is as high as it was a few years ago when the quality of QB play was not very deep past the "elites." A lot of rebuilding programs are invested in recent high draft picks and that will likely put guys who are having quality seasons a little lower than their pure talent dictates. Other middling franchises seem to have QBs that they still believe can be their signal caller, too.

A deep class of QBs combined with a lack of wide QB need in the NFL kind of spells it out for AJ McCarron. He would be best served returning for his Senior season and being the best Senior in college. Another year similar or better to this year's season would solidify him as a first round pick in my opinion.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
To add on some more: there are 4 NFL teams by my estimation that may consider drafting a QB early: Buffalo, Arizona, Kansas City, and the Jets.

Two of those teams I have my doubts:

1. Buffalo isn't getting poor play from Fitzpatrick, he isn't elite but he's good enough to let them draft at higher levels of need before reassessing him as a long-term solution.

2. The Jets just signed Sanchez to an extension and traded for Tebow. I think they look elsewhere before cutting their losses with what they've already invested at quarterback.

So that leaves KC and Arizona as the only teams that I think is truly looking for a starter. Buffalo may look to use a 2nd or 3rd rounder for a developmental guy at QB. KC and Arizona are probably going to be looking for Matt Barkley or bust. Without a lot of suitors for AJ beyond developmental/back-up roles, he's better off looking to continue building his resume to get himself slotted as the best Senior available in 2014 when some additional teams may decide their current direction isn't working or one of these teams passes on a QB this season.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Morris comes from the QB factory, Texas. Cooper played on a weak team this year. Not sure what he will bring. AJ will gain nothing by staying. Alabama is not going to open up enough for him to progress. He had four years of college under his belt. With luck, he will be drafted by a good team with an established QB so he can develop. The Heisman and a second or third round pick likely went out the window with a pick thrown at the end vs TAMU.
Why are Bama QBs hurt so bad by the end of the season, they have trouble throwing. They aren't running QBs and seldom get hit?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The thing you underrate is that an in-state kid like McCarron probably relishes the opportunity to be the starting QB for Alabama. For guys like Phillip Sims, he would probably leave after this season if he finished the last 4 games strong. Even if McCarron led Alabama to a national title again, I think he would try to be the first to win three.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
IF AJ comes back next year, we will still be very good another year. It would be good for a Cooper to learn under a vet like AJ for a year. The future is bright for Bama!

Love it!! RTR

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Can't say much at this point. He's clearly got the size and the arm strength, but the real game takes place between the ears. We'll see how he handles reading defenses, working through progressions, and post-snap decision-making this spring.
are you talking about freddie kitchens? :biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.