Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Injuries Have Added Up this Year. The Biggest?

Not an excuse for our recent struggles, but mounting injuries have no doubt contributed. The Biggest?

1. The most obvious has to be the loss of Jalston Fowler. He was a beast and we have missed his contribution at RB and HB. Would have probably been a key contributor in the last four plays against A&M. Who knows? With his presence we may have never even been in that situation.

2. AJ. He's been playing hurt. I imagine there are a few people in the know on this, but I've heard he's a lot more hurt than most people know. No doubt this has affected his accuracy the last couple of games. If this is true, might could even move AJ's injury to #1 on this list. See additional comments under #4.

3. We lost Hart and White in the same game. Two key contributors gone within a few minutes of one another.

4. A. Cooper has been hobbled by an ankle. It could be argued that this "minor" injury my have cost us the A&M game. Did AJ under throw him on the long completion right before Yeldon fumbled because he knew he was slowed by the ankle injury??? Or was it AJ's injury that wouldn't allow him to lead AC? If the throw is where it should have been AC scores and TD and Yeldon doesn't fumble...at least a 7 point swing...maybe 14.

5. Chris Black was lost in the preseason. We were hearing great things about him.

6. Eddie Lacy's toe. Despite playing through it, has this caused Nuss to not lean on him as heavily in the running game? EL is definitely our most reliable and powerful runner.

What else am I missing?
    Last edited by BamaMoon; November 15th, 2012 at 10:39 AM.

2. Advertisement

Re: Injuries Have Added Up this Year. The Biggest?

Not sure what you're seeing but Lacy looked very good against A&M. If anything, this week will provide our players a chance to rest and take some time off to heal some of their injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMan09 View Post
    Not sure what you're seeing but Lacy looked very good against A&M. If anything, this week will provide our players a chance to rest and take some time off to heal some of their injuries.
    Was actually asking a question there about EL (have since edited it with a question mark). Agree that he's looked strong lately, but earlier in the season the talk was he was still struggling. The question is did his nagging injury set a pattern for not relying on him as much? I don't know.

how about the injuries on defense? Fulton, Milliner. I thought we lost another DB to injury preseason too.

Quote Originally Posted by brutetough View Post
    how about the injuries on defense? Fulton, Milliner. I thought we lost another DB to injury preseason too.
    Jarrack Williams I think. Can't remember how much of a contributor he would have been. Fulton played pretty well against A&M so his injury is brand new. Milliner has been in a out with minor stuff, but he's been pretty reliable.

and BTW every team this time of year is banged up in some way. Georgia has lost a couple of starting receivers and LSU has lost multiple starters.

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

As much as I hated to lose white the emergence of Cooper has softened that blow. It does seem McCarron's not been the same since he left the Miss State game with injury, but he passed for 300 yards last week so for now I'll have to table that.

The biggest in my opinion are Fowler and Hart. For one if we had Fowler running fullback would Nussmeier opted for the pass on 4th and 1? I seriously doubt it. and I think we would have scored.

I believe losing hart is one reason our third down efficiency has been inefficient. He was small enough to slip through tiny gaps in the defense and once he found space he was lightning quick. We probably have plays we aren't running today because we don't have another Hart.
    BS 1989

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMan09 View Post
    and BTW every team this time of year is banged up in some way. Georgia has lost a couple of starting receivers and LSU has lost multiple starters.
    Never said that wasn't the case. Just talking about our team and how it has affected us as the year as gone on.

BamaNation All-American CHATTBRIT's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Every team has to have a certain amount of luck to win the NC whether it be freedom from major injuries, lucky bounce of the ball, etc. This year we have not been as lucky injury-wise but that is just part of the game. I have to agree that Fowler is the biggest loss to the team.
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'd go Fowler. That might just be biased cause he is one of my favorite players. But I really enjoyed seeing him slam people at fullback and then taking a handoff and running off for 15. I get somewhat jealous of LSU when I see Copeland just destroying some of the teams they play. A good FB is a really good asset for a team like us especially given our lack of a Smelley type this year.

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

I think without a doubt Fowler is the biggest loss. I think Hart is bigger from a special teams side of things than at RB.
    I've read the end of The Book and I know who wins!

Fowler - it made the graduation of Smelley ten times worse.

BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Injuries Have Added Up this Year. The Biggest?

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Fowler - it made the graduation of Smelley ten times worse.
    This. Smelley was integral in our passing attack. Fowler was making it an easier transition until his injury.
    RTR!