Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: Tidbits from Coach Sumlin's Tue night weekly radio show

Quote Originally Posted by tidegrandpa View Post
    Livin' out here amongst'em, the local affiliate here in Corpus broadcasts the Aggie Coaches radio show every Tuesday night... I listened, half way expecting big Yeehaws and whooping and hollering and was really amazed...
    When asked about the game,
    Sumlin said " What a fabulous facility and it was the loudest three minutes of football I can remember".
    When Sumlin was prompted to comment on how good a job their big nose tackle did on Barrett Jones, Sumlin cautioned him, " He might have made some plays on him early, but there's a reason Barrett is one of the best in the country, he caught on quickly and we didn't make a play on him in the second half".
    Absolutely nothing homer, negative or fist pumping whatsoever. I was still down from the loss but they sure are classier than UTexas.
    Sumlin will fist pump, but it is with and for the team without the camera's running. We are lucky to have Coach Sumlin, should have hired him from ou instead of stealing fran from you guys! At least we got him now. I'll be rooting for Stanford, usc and oregon st. the next couple of weeks. I want a bama/kstate national championship game. If it happens, PLEASE SHUT THE BIG 12 UP!!!!!!!! You guys take care of the wildcats and we'll take care of the sooners in the fiesta! RTR AND GIG EM AGGIES!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

I am in the exact same boat

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I like Sumlin.
    i like Texas A & M
    all Class.
    but I had rather we won!

BamaNation Second Team

I really like Sumlin also. I didn't know alot about him before the game and still don't but when he was interviewed at the game it was nothing but class. Hope he does well at aTm.

Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

He also was a former grad assistant under .......... Mike Price (at WSU). It's a small world, after all.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by JessN View Post
    He also was a former grad assistant under .......... Mike Price (at WSU). It's a small world, after all.

Price, Sumlin...did Nuss/McElwain/JLS/Petrino ever work with Price?

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I like Sumlin. I thought he was a bad hire, never thought he'd have this team playing like they are already - mea culpa. The guy is good and seems very classy, to boot.
    Ditto. Very impressed. I wonder what kind of OL he can recruit in the future.

Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    Price, Sumlin...did Nuss/McElwain/JLS/Petrino ever work with Price?
    I assume "JLS" is John L. Smith.

He and Petrino worked together on a couple of different occasions, first at Idaho (Petrino was QB/OC for Smith) and then at Arkansas (Smith was ST for Petrino). McElwain worked for Smith at Louisville (WR/ST). Nussmeier played under Petrino and Smith at Idaho but never coached with either.

As for Price's connection to all of the above, he took over at Washington State the year after Smith left there as DC. Smith then ended up just about 10 minutes away at the University of Idaho, and they coached against either other for years. But best I can tell, Price never coached with any of them.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

BamaNation First Team Bama By Birth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigHSVTider View Post
    Good stuff Gramps! I think TAM will be a good addition to the SEc and represent us well in all facets. I have to make the comment that i was AMAZED by the precision of their band as well!!!!
    Need to work on those cheerleaders though. I didn't see a good looking one out of the whole bunch.
    ' How did I know you went to Auburn? I saw your class ring when you were picking your nose."

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Just checked out his bio, said his hometown was Indianapolis, IN he graduated from Purdue in 1988. No mention of Brewton.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American RollTideMang's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Just checked out his bio, said his hometown was Indianapolis, IN he graduated from Purdue in 1988. No mention of Brewton.
    Not that Wikipedia is an authority on any matter, but it has Brewton listed as his place of birth. He grew up in Indianapolis it says.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Sumlin

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by JessN View Post
    I assume "JLS" is John L. Smith.

He and Petrino worked together on a couple of different occasions, first at Idaho (Petrino was QB/OC for Smith) and then at Arkansas (Smith was ST for Petrino). McElwain worked for Smith at Louisville (WR/ST). Nussmeier played under Petrino and Smith at Idaho but never coached with either.

As for Price's connection to all of the above, he took over at Washington State the year after Smith left there as DC. Smith then ended up just about 10 minutes away at the University of Idaho, and they coached against either other for years. But best I can tell, Price never coached with any of them.

I think the connection may be that Smith, Price and Joe Tiller (another Sumlin mentor) all worked with Dennis Erickson, who learned the system from Jack Elway.

So what we have at Bama is a more run heavy, power version of what Petrino's done....or so it seems.

Suspended

Sumlin himself talked about being born in Brewton and his grandmother still living there when he was on Finebaum back in the summer.