Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Recipes
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Tidbits from Coach Sumlin's Tue night weekly radio show

Quote Originally Posted by tidegrandpa View Post
    Livin' out here amongst'em, the local affiliate here in Corpus broadcasts the Aggie Coaches radio show every Tuesday night... I listened, half way expecting big Yeehaws and whooping and hollering and was really amazed...
    When asked about the game,
    Sumlin said " What a fabulous facility and it was the loudest three minutes of football I can remember".
    When Sumlin was prompted to comment on how good a job their big nose tackle did on Barrett Jones, Sumlin cautioned him, " He might have made some plays on him early, but there's a reason Barrett is one of the best in the country, he caught on quickly and we didn't make a play on him in the second half".
    Absolutely nothing homer, negative or fist pumping whatsoever. I was still down from the loss but they sure are classier than UTexas.
    As I've said before, Texas A&M is lucky to have Coach Sumlin. He's a very nice guy and he's all class, and he represents the state of Alabama in a phenomenal way.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team Bama By Birth's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Got to speak with some A&M fans on the Quad. Good people. I hope they had a good time. ('Cause, I didn't)! haha.
    ' How did I know you went to Auburn? I saw your class ring when you were picking your nose."

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

I have to say this. I do have some regret over my cheer-leading in regards to adding A&M. There were not many teams that could have beaten Alabama, and A&M was one of them. It makes me regret my enthusiasm...

However! There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that A&M is a better and more respectable rival to have around than Auburn or UT. They will serve the conference well and if a team was going to beat Alabama, A&M might as well have been the team. They have enough sense to listen to Gene Stallings, and that alone says a lot.

In terms of A&M fans, not one sounded anything but humble. After the game, the one in front of me looked around and just said "I said they'd have to play a mistake free game to win and they did". That about sums up how the fans handled the game, at least the ones I was around. They didn't want to shove it in our face, they were gracious and I even saw one calming down an Alabama fan and explaining that Alabama should still win the SEC. I don't like A&M right now, but I respect them a lot.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Coach Sumlin is a class act. I also know that every team has some fans to be ashamed just like we do. I listened to Fine bum on monday or tuesday and a caller from aggie country said that the reason Bama fans were so upset over losing to TAMU was because we couldn't stand losing to a black coach. Do people in other parts of the country not understand that Bama probably has more black fans that white. I remember seeing Sumlin on tv but it did not register with me that he was black until I heard that statement, and it didn't make a hill of beans if he was chinese.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. Be a great hire for Bama after Coach Saban retires. He already loves the Facilities and the crowd. Sorry Aggies couldn't resist.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bamagradinATL View Post
    My mouth is on the floor.
    Well you better close it before Johnny Football exploits the opening. Of course he would be juggling the ball as he goes..
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

BamaNation All-SEC tidefanbeezer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I like Sumlin. I thought he was a bad hire, never thought he'd have this team playing like they are already - mea culpa. The guy is good and seems very classy, to boot.
    Agreed. He has exceeded my expectations for that team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by capnfrog View Post
    I agree that Coach Sumlin is a class act. I also know that every team has some fans to be ashamed just like we do. I listened to Fine bum on monday or tuesday and a caller from aggie country said that the reason Bama fans were so upset over losing to TAMU was because we couldn't stand losing to a black coach. Do people in other parts of the country not understand that Bama probably has more black fans that white. I remember seeing Sumlin on tv but it did not register with me that he was black until I heard that statement, and it didn't make a hill of beans if he was chinese.
    That is really weird. He doesn't understand that blacks and whites in Alabama bond over Alabama football. It's been a major divide-buster in this state. The only way I can explain that is that there are wide swatches of Texas which are, indeed, Lilly white. If this guy came from those areas, I can see where he would mistakenly think that all Bama fans are white, although his remark does make me think of the old George Carlin quip that the average IQ is 100. Remember that half of the people you meet tomorrow will have have an IQ below that, unless you go to WalMart. (I think George was referring to median, rather than arithmetic mean.) Seriously speaking, I have close black friends from stretches of west Texas who are mostly Texas Tech fans. And, having lived here and been around the Alabama football phenomenon, they would have major problems understanding racist ramblings like those of the FB caller you mention. (Why does anyone listen to callers into that show?)
    Last edited by TIDE-HSV; November 15th, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    That is really weird. He doesn't understand that blacks and whites in Alabama bond over Alabama football. It's been a major divide-buster in this state. The only way I can explain that is that there are wide swatches of Texas which are, indeed, Lilly white. If this guy came from those areas, I can see where he would mistakenly think that all Bama fans are white, although his remark does make me think of the old George Carlin quip that the average IQ is 100. Remember that half of the people you meet tomorrow will have have an IQ below that, unless you go to WalMart. (I think George was referring to median, rather than arithmetic mean.) Seriously speaking, I have close black friends from stretches of west Texas who are mostly Texas Tech fans. And, having lived here and been around the Alabama football phenomenon, they would have major problems understanding racist ramblings like those of the FB caller you mention. (Why does anyone listen to callers into that show?)
    Entertainment is the main reason for me listening. I find it hard to believe people can be that ignorant. Sometimes I find it sad that I have nothing better to spend my time on, although it does bring out a chuckle at times.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.