Tidbits from Coach Sumlin's Tue night weekly radio show

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Price, Sumlin...did Nuss/McElwain/JLS/Petrino ever work with Price?
I assume "JLS" is John L. Smith.

He and Petrino worked together on a couple of different occasions, first at Idaho (Petrino was QB/OC for Smith) and then at Arkansas (Smith was ST for Petrino). McElwain worked for Smith at Louisville (WR/ST). Nussmeier played under Petrino and Smith at Idaho but never coached with either.

As for Price's connection to all of the above, he took over at Washington State the year after Smith left there as DC. Smith then ended up just about 10 minutes away at the University of Idaho, and they coached against either other for years. But best I can tell, Price never coached with any of them.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I assume "JLS" is John L. Smith.

He and Petrino worked together on a couple of different occasions, first at Idaho (Petrino was QB/OC for Smith) and then at Arkansas (Smith was ST for Petrino). McElwain worked for Smith at Louisville (WR/ST). Nussmeier played under Petrino and Smith at Idaho but never coached with either.

As for Price's connection to all of the above, he took over at Washington State the year after Smith left there as DC. Smith then ended up just about 10 minutes away at the University of Idaho, and they coached against either other for years. But best I can tell, Price never coached with any of them.

I think the connection may be that Smith, Price and Joe Tiller (another Sumlin mentor) all worked with Dennis Erickson, who learned the system from Jack Elway.

So what we have at Bama is a more run heavy, power version of what Petrino's done....or so it seems.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Livin' out here amongst'em, the local affiliate here in Corpus broadcasts the Aggie Coaches radio show every Tuesday night... I listened, half way expecting big Yeehaws and whooping and hollering and was really amazed...
When asked about the game,
Sumlin said " What a fabulous facility and it was the loudest three minutes of football I can remember".
When Sumlin was prompted to comment on how good a job their big nose tackle did on Barrett Jones, Sumlin cautioned him, " He might have made some plays on him early, but there's a reason Barrett is one of the best in the country, he caught on quickly and we didn't make a play on him in the second half".
Absolutely nothing homer, negative or fist pumping whatsoever. I was still down from the loss but they sure are classier than UTexas.
:BigA:
As I've said before, Texas A&M is lucky to have Coach Sumlin. He's a very nice guy and he's all class, and he represents the state of Alabama in a phenomenal way.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I have to say this. I do have some regret over my cheer-leading in regards to adding A&M. There were not many teams that could have beaten Alabama, and A&M was one of them. It makes me regret my enthusiasm...

However! There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that A&M is a better and more respectable rival to have around than Auburn or UT. They will serve the conference well and if a team was going to beat Alabama, A&M might as well have been the team. They have enough sense to listen to Gene Stallings, and that alone says a lot.

In terms of A&M fans, not one sounded anything but humble. After the game, the one in front of me looked around and just said "I said they'd have to play a mistake free game to win and they did". That about sums up how the fans handled the game, at least the ones I was around. They didn't want to shove it in our face, they were gracious and I even saw one calming down an Alabama fan and explaining that Alabama should still win the SEC. I don't like A&M right now, but I respect them a lot.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I agree that Coach Sumlin is a class act. I also know that every team has some fans to be ashamed just like we do. I listened to Fine bum on monday or tuesday and a caller from aggie country said that the reason Bama fans were so upset over losing to TAMU was because we couldn't stand losing to a black coach. Do people in other parts of the country not understand that Bama probably has more black fans that white. I remember seeing Sumlin on tv but it did not register with me that he was black until I heard that statement, and it didn't make a hill of beans if he was chinese.

BamaGoose

Suspended
Dec 7, 1999
Meridianville, Al.
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. ;) Be a great hire for Bama after Coach Saban retires. He already loves the Facilities and the crowd. Sorry Aggies couldn't resist. :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree that Coach Sumlin is a class act. I also know that every team has some fans to be ashamed just like we do. I listened to Fine bum on monday or tuesday and a caller from aggie country said that the reason Bama fans were so upset over losing to TAMU was because we couldn't stand losing to a black coach. Do people in other parts of the country not understand that Bama probably has more black fans that white. I remember seeing Sumlin on tv but it did not register with me that he was black until I heard that statement, and it didn't make a hill of beans if he was chinese.
That is really weird. He doesn't understand that blacks and whites in Alabama bond over Alabama football. It's been a major divide-buster in this state. The only way I can explain that is that there are wide swatches of Texas which are, indeed, Lilly white. If this guy came from those areas, I can see where he would mistakenly think that all Bama fans are white, although his remark does make me think of the old George Carlin quip that the average IQ is 100. Remember that half of the people you meet tomorrow will have have an IQ below that, unless you go to WalMart. (I think George was referring to median, rather than arithmetic mean.) Seriously speaking, I have close black friends from stretches of west Texas who are mostly Texas Tech fans. And, having lived here and been around the Alabama football phenomenon, they would have major problems understanding racist ramblings like those of the FB caller you mention. (Why does anyone listen to callers into that show?)

Last edited:

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
That is really weird. He doesn't understand that blacks and whites in Alabama bond over Alabama football. It's been a major divide-buster in this state. The only way I can explain that is that there are wide swatches of Texas which are, indeed, Lilly white. If this guy came from those areas, I can see where he would mistakenly think that all Bama fans are white, although his remark does make me think of the old George Carlin quip that the average IQ is 100. Remember that half of the people you meet tomorrow will have have an IQ below that, unless you go to WalMart. (I think George was referring to median, rather than arithmetic mean.) Seriously speaking, I have close black friends from stretches of west Texas who are mostly Texas Tech fans. And, having lived here and been around the Alabama football phenomenon, they would have major problems understanding racist ramblings like those of the FB caller you mention. (Why does anyone listen to callers into that show?)
Entertainment is the main reason for me listening. I find it hard to believe people can be that ignorant. Sometimes I find it sad that I have nothing better to spend my time on, although it does bring out a chuckle at times.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.