Arky Sounds Serious About Hiring a Coach - Agree on 6 million/year Salary

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Yea I dont think announcing how much you're willing to pay is a good way to deal with negotiations later in the hiring process, I'll call b.s. on this one.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
i'm a bucs fan. lived there for part of his tenure. i'll always appreciate him for the super bowl win. but he did it his first year with dungy's players and the team just got progressively worse and worse for years until he was canned. some of his player management was ridiculous. he has a .540 winning percentage. i just don't get the big deal. i'm not saying he's a bad coach by any means. i just don't understand why so many teams supposedly express so much interest in him. i also think some of his sideline behavior would not fly in college.
I always thought winning over half your games in Tampa Bay was like winning the Super Bowl most places... ;)

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
i'm a bucs fan. lived there for part of his tenure. i'll always appreciate him for the super bowl win. but he did it his first year with dungy's players and the team just got progressively worse and worse for years until he was canned. some of his player management was ridiculous. he has a .540 winning percentage. i just don't get the big deal. i'm not saying he's a bad coach by any means. i just don't understand why so many teams supposedly express so much interest in him. i also think some of his sideline behavior would not fly in college.
I still live here & you nailed it 100%. He created a lot of division on the team and temper he was brought in to run the offense which never really clicked, they had a separate contract for Monte & his coaches.

UAME

All-SEC
Mar 28, 2000
Tuscumbia, AL
I wouldn't be shocked that Arky is willing to pay a salary that high. A few weeks ago I heard the growth of the athletic dept. revenue during Petrino's tenure, and it was in the tens of millions.

HOWEVER, if the powers there said "OK, we can go up to $6MM for the right coach", then it is utter stupidity to let this news get out. Now, the first candidate they offer, whether he's WORTH $6MM or not, is going to demand that salary. All negotiating power is gone. It's hard to imagine that anyone in charge of that kind of budget would be so clueless.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
I believe Tressel has a "show cause" against him and any school wanting to hire him would have to appear before the NCAA before doing so.
Yes he does have a "show cause" earmark in the NCAA file, so he is not going anywhere until some time passes and he gets that lifted.
Speaking of Gundy, I think he would be a good fit with the hogs. He has the mentality of airing it out, which seems to be the focus of Arkansas. But, $6 million might be a little steep.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I believe Tressel has a "show cause" against him and any school wanting to hire him would have to appear before the NCAA before doing so.
Not only that, but if they do hire him, whatever penalties are imposed on him are automatically cloned tot he school. IOW, hiring Tresell means you are immediately in hot water with the NCAA...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.