Official NEW Expansion Thread: Ga. Tech to B1G?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Re: Official NEW Expansion Thread: Maryland reportedly going to B1G

I think Coach K said it correctly last week when he talked about how vulnerable the ACC is and he stated that it was part of the "Football product" of the Carolina schools.
Looks like Coach K was 100% correct..It will be weird when there's no longer an ACC..

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

WOW..Not looking good for the ACC..What's happened to the ACC..I've always thought they would survive all these mass expansions..Is it just weak leadership within the ACC..???
I think the fact the ACC is so spread out there is just too much difference culturally to have a strong bond like the SEC or the Big Ten. The SEC needs to do whatever it takes to get North Carolina even if it means pairing them with NC St. or Duke. I realize two schools from the same state isn't desirable but if the Big Ten gets Virginia, North Carolina and GT its game over.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Interesting article. Thanks. So which way is UNC leaning again? Why is Duke not being courted?
As far as what I've read or heard they are leaning to B1G. Not sure about Duke. They are a small school.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Re: next round of expansion already getting underway

I guess my biggest question would be if the SEC would let the Big 12 take FSU and Clemson and get inroads for recruiting in the South? Too take mediocre schools like NCSU and VT just don't make sense from that standpoint.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Duke may be leading Big East when the dust settles... The would fall into that "other five" group membership, keep a decently strong basketball base, and maybe contend in football then.

SLive is making a huge mistake by not going directly after UVA and UNC at the moment... NCST and Va Tech should be afterthoughts, and I don't think you can talk the voting block of schools it would take to allow FSU or Clemson in (plus they add nothing as far as the all so important TV footprint). So if we aren't pursuing UVA and UNC, I agree we should just hold our cards until we need to move on them. Let FSU, Miami, Clemson and some of the others fill out of the Big12...

crimsoncamaro

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 9, 2010

i am hearing slive and co. have had talks with unc about joining, so dont count unc and uva out yet. was reading some unc boards and their fans definitely prefer the sec. they are more like us than the b1g 10. they would have some good rivals with tenn, vandy, s carolina and even georgia. unc and uva have a long history and i hear they prefer the b1g 10. thinking those 2 will stick together, so slive needs to get after uva.

IncendiaryLemon

Nov 20, 2012

That guy is a fraud. For a West Virginia football blogger shouldn't he know something about WVU? He was blindsided when they jumped into the Big 12.

-

I'd take the rumors as such. Just rumors for the moment.

If message boards are indicative then UNC fans want to join the SEC by an 8-1 margin. The UVa fans are a more divided, but still prefer the SEC.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

All I know is we dont want the Big 10 operating in the South no more than they want us operating in their territory. Should they get down here some struggling media folks will take up camp with them and spoil the media message for the SEC. I firmly believe the Big 10 is trying to get media leverage over the impending selection committee. If the selection committee is made up of ADs, retired coaches, and reputable media folks from across the country, what do you do? You start aligning their allegiances. I wished I felt that our SEC leadership was more informed than the Big 10 but I dont...

crimsoncamaro

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 9, 2010

That guy is a fraud. For a West Virginia football blogger shouldn't he know something about WVU? He was blindsided when they jumped into the Big 12.

-

I'd take the rumors as such. Just rumors for the moment.

If message boards are indicative then UNC fans want to join the SEC by an 8-1 margin. The UVa fans are a more divided, but still prefer the SEC.
well thats good to hear that the uva fans prefer the sec, but i feel if they leave, it will be for the b1g. would rather get unc over ncst, but that means ncst will probably be left out to dry because the b1g will go after syracuse or conn to go with uva, not ncst....if the acc crumbles, their will surely be some teams left out...namely wake forest and maybe duke. i definitely dont want the b1g to get into atlanta with georgia tech though.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Thought this was an interesting article on the situation:

What a Move to the B1G would mean for UVA and UNC

UVa., UNC football: They are natural football rivals, meaning they still play every year, and also play Maryland every year.

For UVa. in particular, the move in football is a boost, if only because the next couple of years seem to be mighty lean, given the snail’s pace to the rebuilding job being led by Mike London. Attendance was bound to continue trending downward in the interim, but a move to tbe Big Ten turns the schedule completely on its head, in a good way.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Krazy, what is your opinion? Given how difficult this is getting do you think the SEC should go ahead push its membership from 14 to 20 and make a basketball play?
I don't thing you have to, or really should go beyond 16. 16 is pushing it as it is, the rest get really tricky. One (complicated) option is to add non-football schools. But, I think that the SEC just can't get too locked in on North Carolina and Virgina (the states). NC is by far the best possible addition from the ACC, but they are not the only program out there. For instance, if you wanted to pair them up with another basketball school, Cincinnati or Kansas are possibilities. I don't think you can give into two NC schools though, too much in the way of diminishing returns. It makes more sense for the Big 10 though, since they don't have a footprint around there.
The Big 10 conference has received applications for membership from UVA, UNC, and Georgia Tech while FSU, Clemson, UNC, NC State and Virginia Tech have contacted the SEC about potential membership.
The part in bold gives me a bit of hope.
Looks like Coach K was 100% correct..It will be weird when there's no longer an ACC..
It was weird when there was going to be no Big 12. Don't read too much into things yet.
The SEC needs to do whatever it takes to get North Carolina even if it means pairing them with NC St. or Duke. I realize two schools from the same state isn't desirable but if the Big Ten gets Virginia, North Carolina and GT its game over.
I have concern over any schools that can't get 40K fans to watch a football game. Duke bothers me, and I can't see their finaces so I'm in the dark. North Carolina is worth a ton, their teir three is worth more than NC St. and Virginia Tech combined. However, that state is going to be around 9.5 million in population whether or not you add one or two schools. You can go add Cincy and VT and you're reaching twice as many people. I'm not even saying those two are good additions but I think you get the point. Also, I don't think it's NC and Virginia or bust. Notre Dame is still out there, and you can round up a few other names that don't sound so terrible. Pitt and Cincy to name a few, and if you really wanted to make a reach for the sake of a TV network you take a look at Syracuse.
I guess my biggest question would be if the SEC would let the Big 12 take FSU and Clemson and get inroads for recruiting in the South? Too take mediocre schools like NCSU and VT just don't make sense from that standpoint.
The SEC dealt a blow to the Big 12 when they were able to move into their two most populated states. But, I do agree that if the SEC lets NC and Virginia go to the Big 10, and FSU and Clemson go to the Big 12, they'd look pretty stupid sitting there with just VT and NC State.
i am hearing slive and co. have had talks with unc about joining, so dont count unc and uva out yet. was reading some unc boards and their fans definitely prefer the sec. they are more like us than the b1g 10. they would have some good rivals with tenn, vandy, s carolina and even georgia. unc and uva have a long history and i hear they prefer the b1g 10. thinking those 2 will stick together, so slive needs to get after uva.
I don't trust Slive. He's made one good choice and a few bad ones, and he sounded really happy about the bad ones. Depending on who you believe, the guy might have prefered Oklahoma over A&M, and that indicates he might be bad at math to. My biggest concern is that he's helping the Big 10 land the biggest fish, just so the SEC can come in third place in the next round of expansion. That's stupid, he should not at all by flirting with VT right now. There is no benefit to it. He should zero in on NC, and see what NC wants. If he can find a way to appease them, and still move into another state he has to jump on it. Otherwise? The SEC is ok at 14, they don't need to topple the ACC unless they get to be the ones cherry picking.

The SEC has incentive to stall. If they can hold on on the next round until their network is up and running, then they can both make a better informed choice and they should be close to even with the Big 10 in revenue. If they lure away VT and in doing so let NC get away, it will be monumentally boneheaded.

Last edited:

freefall

1st Team
Apr 30, 2009
Leesburg, VA

What's happened to the ACC..I've always thought they would survive all these mass expansions..Is it just weak leadership within the ACC..???
IMO it's a combination of that and the fact that the ACC is, and has always been, a basketball-first conference, run by the basketball powers-that-be in North Carolina. It's not called the All Carolina Conference for nothing. Other than flirting with ND, the ACC has done pretty much nothing that would assure it one of the (presumably four) chairs at the big boys table when it's all said and done.

freefall

1st Team
Apr 30, 2009
Leesburg, VA

And then there was this:

@ACCSports: David Glenn's sources say ACC discussing expansion this week, 3 potential targets: Louisville, UConn and Navy
Mommy, mommy make the bad man stop!

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

I think if you expand into ACC territory, it should be flagship type schools, not the little brothers or tech schools.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

And then there was this:

Mommy, mommy make the bad man stop!
The ACC really has no options at this point. All the good Universities are spoken for. When you're targeting Louisville, you're at the bottom of what can be defined as the "big boy" barrel. Louisville is the end of the line, IMO. And the ACC can't poach any conference above it on the ladder. Kill or be killed, and I'm afraid the ACC is about to become dinner for the others.

freefall

1st Team
Apr 30, 2009
Leesburg, VA

When you're targeting Louisville, you're at the bottom [...]
Found this gem on another message board

Three distinct messages there:

Louisville says "We're doing the best we can with a really bad situation, and there is no good solution."

Uconn says "We needed to replace Maryland so we went and got the biggest irrelevant jerks out there."

Navy says "We quit, big time sports is simply not for us."

Kill or be killed, and I'm afraid the ACC is about to become dinner for the others.
Agreed. My hope is that we end up in the SEC, but I'm not all that optimistic. Our president is a big proponent of becoming an AAU member and (my opinion only) I think he would choose the B1G if the choice were his to make. But even that would be preferable to being part of the eastern half of the tu conference, or (worse) being stuck in whatever ends up being left of the ACC/Big Least.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Tweet:

David Teel
@DavidTeelatDP
This from #UVa AD Craig Littlepage: President Teresa Sullivan informed BoV last night that university is not in discussions w/Big Ten.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.