Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171821 ... LastLast

Re: next round of expansion already getting underway

been trolling other conference threads and hearing uva and nc are the next b1g targets. if that happens, clemson and fsu will surely bolt for the big 12 and i think we go after vtech and ncst..when i first heard about rutgers and maryland to the b1g, i thought geeezz, those are definetly not big game teams and felt it made their league weaker, but its definetly for the big media areas and of course the money. slive and co. need to be on high alert with everything that is happening and start preparing for more expansion. seems that delaney has a boner for notre dame and will do everything he can to get them. as far as expansion for the sec, vtech and ncst would be nice additions. vtech is definetly sec material and i went to a bowl game in the georgia dome with miss st and ncst and was very impressed with the ncst crowd. they brought em and were very loud and rowdy.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by crimsoncamaro View Post
    been trolling other conference threads and hearing uva and nc are the next b1g targets. if that happens, clemson and fsu will surely bolt for the big 12 and i think we go after vtech and ncst..when i first heard about rutgers and maryland to the b1g, i thought geeezz, those are definetly not big game teams and felt it made their league weaker, but its definetly for the big media areas and of course the money. slive and co. need to be on high alert with everything that is happening and start preparing for more expansion. seems that delaney has a boner for notre dame and will do everything he can to get them. as far as expansion for the sec, vtech and ncst would be nice additions. vtech is definetly sec material and i went to a bowl game in the georgia dome with miss st and ncst and was very impressed with the ncst crowd. they brought em and were very loud and rowdy.
    I didn't realize BTN was worth so much money. Are they broadcasting their own games? I thought I watched them on the national networks from time to time. If that's the case then what are they selling if not football?

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeIslandRed View Post
    I didn't realize BTN was worth so much money. Are they broadcasting their own games? I thought I watched them on the national networks from time to time. If that's the case then what are they selling if not football?
    They do broadcast their own football games, and all other sports. They still have the contracts with ESPN/ABC, but there are games on the BTN as well.

Do they carry more games than just their version of the Jefferson Pilot game?

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    They do broadcast their own football games, and all other sports. They still have the contracts with ESPN/ABC, but there are games on the BTN as well.
    If this is the case then it is obviously possible to have parallel networks. The SEC will need to quickly begin and evolve their network. Otherwise it will not be competitive to bid for a premier basketball division. It would appear that BTN has the upper hand. Of course if ACC were resourceful enough, they would try to develop their own network.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Do they carry more games than just their version of the Jefferson Pilot game?
    It seems like they do. I'll have to check to be sure, but I remember seeing multiple games being broadcast on the BTN on Saturdays.

I was looking into things, and I didn't put a lot of time into finding tier three revenue numbers, but to be clear tier three are quite low level games. Generally what would be pay per view type stuff. It's not that simple, because I read that ESPN had leased some rights that could impact the formation of the network and that's why everyone is saying 2014 for an SEC network. An interesting thing is that tier three rights in the SEC are not shared revenue, so Alabama doesn't have to share their earnings with Ole Miss. Another interesting thing is that basketball actually is a huge earner on tier three rights, I suppose due to the large number of games that fall under this category. This is why FSU was so upset, they lost millions when their tier three football rights were part of the new ACC deal, but it did not apply to basketball.

Anyway, one thing I did see when I looked at the number was both why the SEC has been dragging their feet and why North Carolina is such a huge addition to any conference:
    http://businessofcollegesports.com/2...sting-revenue/

There is a lot that is missing here, but here are some numbers:
    1 University of North Carolina $11,171,458.00
    2 University of Alabama $8,444,674.00
    3 University of Kentucky $7,743,327.00
    4 University of Florida $7,450,000.00
    5 University of Kansas $7,276,988.00
    14 University of Missouri $4,081,549.00
    15 Virginia Tech $3,769,583.00
    Georgia Tech $1,254,876.00
    Clemson University $920,000.00
    University of Mississippi $1,658,650.00

What this tells us is that Alabama is risking much, much more by being a part of the SEC network. They are the number two earner in this category (which includes tier three, radio, and internet). Essentially, you're saying they have share that with Ole Miss as well. Alabama could easily end up losing revenue if they start a SEC network. I'd hope they would build in some assurances that for instance Ole Miss doesn't see a rise in their incoming from tier three income before Alabama is made whole.

The other thing is this shows how ridiculous it is that many people suggest the SEC just sit by and let NC go to the Big 10 and pick what's left. You do that, you're not going to be getting the best additions. NC State has some things to offer, some positives. I'd even argue more than VT due to several factors. However, if NC is in the Big 10 Network and NC State is in the SEC Network, clearly the SEC is losing millions of dollars worth of quality programming. Notre Dame isn't included in this number, but if you are adding a program to better you're network, it is Notre Dame, North Carolina, and everyone else. If the SEC makes the mistake of letting VT be the heart of an expansion, it would be more foolish than making Missouri the centerpiece of the last addition. Missouri was a good addition for several reasons, but if they were the big piece? If there was no A&M and it was Missouri and some other team? That would have been an extremely bad move. VT absolutely should not be the next program that the SEC goes after. It should be North Carolina, Notre Dame, or bust.

North Carolina would not sully their academic repuation by associating with the rubes of the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    North Carolina would not sully their academic repuation by associating with the rubes of the SEC.
    I guess their recent problems have helped bring them down to the SEC's level, heh...

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The more I think about it, the more I tend to mostly agree with Krazy3's outlook on this situation. The TAMU addition was pushing it on competition (which really the SEC doesn't need more) but their net revenue growth potential outweighed the concerns. Any other addition needs to be similar to what the Big Ten just did: net revenue gainers, competitive non-factors.

Expansion isn't about creating a product with top-to-bottom parity, it is about television sets. In that regard, I would be hesitant to add any program with historical trends to be in the top 25 in football. We don't want to dilute the product. Virginia Tech would frankly be a good addition simply because I don't think their Beamer success is sustainable but they are a sensible footprint addition and television set adder. Do we add Virginia? I think it would be hard to get VT without them considering UVA fought so hard to get them in the ACC. Again, UVA is a nice add that doesn't rock the boat competitively. Still, the SEC probably wants a foot in NC and VA. They probably aren't looking to add two schools to get one market...they'd prefer two schools and two markets.

That is why I think they stand pat unless disruption forces further action.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I tend to mostly agree with Krazy3's outlook on this situation. The TAMU addition was pushing it on competition (which really the SEC doesn't need more) but their net revenue growth potential outweighed the concerns. Any other addition needs to be similar to what the Big Ten just did: net revenue gainers, competitive non-factors.

Expansion isn't about creating a product with top-to-bottom parity, it is about television sets. In that regard, I would be hesitant to add any program with historical trends to be in the top 25 in football. We don't want to dilute the product. Virginia Tech would frankly be a good addition simply because I don't think their Beamer success is sustainable but they are a sensible footprint addition and television set adder. Do we add Virginia? I think it would be hard to get VT without them considering UVA fought so hard to get them in the ACC. Again, UVA is a nice add that doesn't rock the boat competitively. Still, the SEC probably wants a foot in NC and VA. They probably aren't looking to add two schools to get one market...they'd prefer two schools and two markets.

That is why I think they stand pat unless disruption forces further action.
    One question is whether or not UNC and NCST are joined at the hip by their legislature. I've heard they are, but I don't know it it's good info or not...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

NC State may be looking to break away from the shadow of the Tar Heels. But I don't know how much they help the SEC. It is a mediocre football program in a basketball state and they are #3 at best in terms of basketball prowess. I don't see them adding much other than getting to see our old buddy Mark Gottfried again.

I think either Virginia school would add more than NCSU.

It would be nice to add a school that has a national presence and strong athletically.