Official NEW Expansion Thread: Ga. Tech to B1G?

freefall

1st Team
Apr 30, 2009
Leesburg, VA
Re: Official NEW Expansion Thread: Demise of the ACC?

Who does the ACC add this time? Central or South Florida?
Neither of those adds a new market, so unlikely. I'd guess uconn or maybe cinci, to get a presence in OH, but we're arguing over table scraps at this point...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Ga. Tech to B1G?

Number 15
I'm still trying to get a read on this... it's not something I saw coming. If there's any truth to it, the Big 10 is tossing out the map. I've suggested the possibility of the SEC tossing out the map, but the Big 10 has been picking first and I felt like they wouldn't need to.

Up until now the key word has been contiguous. If this is the Big 10's next move, all bets are off.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ

Looks like 16 is the magic number for the Super Conferences. Who will be the next 2 to come to the SEC? I'm guessing Florida State and Virginia Tech.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Who does the ACC add this time? Central or South Florida?
There isn't much they can do. IF Georgia Tech does go to the Big Ten, the ACC is done.

Florida State and Clemson will bolt to the Big 12.

North Carolina is going somewhere - better hope Slive is outbidding the Big Ten or they'll head north. If they do head north, I'd imagine the SEC would settle for NC State and Virginia Tech.

If the Big Ten isn't stopping at 16, maybe they take Duke as well for a dueling partner with UNC.

The rest of the ACC will take whatever is left out there (Cincinnati, UConn) and try to keep going. Ultimately, if this kind of stuff happens, I'd imagine Notre Dame will join a conference. Wouldn't shock me if it ends up being the Big 12. Heck, the Big 12 was ok with the scheduling arrangement that Notre Dame ultimately signed up for with the ACC so it wouldn't surprise me if they just did that with the Big 12.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

B1G trying to expand the map? You better believe it, that's the entire purpose of expansion for them. Not to get off into politics here on the football board, but demagrophy is indeed destiny, and the traditional geographic footprint of the B1G continues to fall further and further behind the southern and western portions of the US in both population growth and economic development.

How big of a difference does it make in the next three to five years? Not much. But in the long run, over the next 40 or 50 years, the B1G faces an existential choice: Expand the map or fade away. In the face of that choice, the response of that is obvious, and it does not involve doubling down on the upper midwestern roots of B1G tradition. And if that involves outliers like Atlanta, College Park, and others, or taking a flyer on a longshot to capture a fraction of the NYC market, then so be it.

And frankly, I tend to believe that the withering away of the Rust Belt has already had a substantial impact on the B1G. Compare how many national championships the B1G produced from the 1920's to the 1960's, and not just with the success of Michigan and Ohio State, but back when programs like Minnesota, Illinois, and Michigan State were legitimate national powerhouses. And then compare that to how many national championships they have produced since 1967 on. Literally, the state of Alabama has produced as many national titles in the past 36 months as the B1G has in the past 45 years.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

If this is true, it looks like the B1G is invading SEC media market territory. We will need to counteract that move if it happens. But I'm not sure how the SEC would be able to match the B1G.

Looks like the B1G is invading the East and Southeast and taking no prisoners. This is huge if it happens. Seems like everyone thinks Slive is the main man. Maybe it's not Slive but the B1G's commissioner!

The B1G is going to have a vast TV market, something the SEC will not be able to counteract. The SEC should have added Rutgers to get the NJ/NY market and Noter Dumb to get the mid-west.

Then we would have needed to add an SEC TV network.

Is the SEC Commissioner falling asleep at the wheel. Seems like there is no one to select from except Virginia and NC. That does not add the CLOUT that Maryland and Rutgers bring to the B1G in the TV market of New York, New Jersey and Washington, D. C./Baltimore.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

If this is true, it looks like the B1G is invading SEC media market territory. We will need to counteract that move if it happens. But I'm not sure how the SEC would be able to match the B1G.

Looks like the B1G is invading the East and Southeast and taking no prisoners. This is huge if it happens. Seems like everyone thinks Slive is the main man. Maybe it's not Slive but the B1G's commissioner!

The B1G is going to have a vast TV market, something the SEC will not be able to counteract. The SEC should have added Rutgers to get the NJ/NY market and Noter Dumb to get the mid-west.

Then we would have needed to add an SEC TV network.

Is the SEC Commissioner falling asleep at the wheel. Seems like there is no one to select from except Virginia and NC. That does not add the CLOUT that Maryland and Rutgers bring to the B1G in the TV market of New York, New Jersey and Washington, D. C./Baltimore.
My apologies are in order if I seem like a jerk, but have you been drinking?

The B1G is "invading" SEC territory by going after ... Georgia Tech? If so, the ACC successfully "invaded" SEC territory thirty-five years ago, yet the SEC has somehow managed to win, oh, about 13 national championships since then. Bottom line, Georgia Tech is and has been (for quite some time) largely irrelevant even in its own city. If the B1G wants them, they can have them.

And add Rutgers to get the NYC market? Nonsense, no one living in New York City -- which is obsessed with basically everything but college football, including 9 professional teams -- could care less about the State University of New Jersey. Do you really expect that when in late October and the Yankees are playing game six of the World Series that suddenly all (or any) of NYC is suddenly going to stop and pay attention to a 6-6 Rutgers team playing Tennessee in Knoxville? That, just like Georgia Tech, is nothing more than a desperate attempt to expand the map.

Maryland, meanwhile, isn't even in the South, it's mid-Atlantic. And add Notre Dame? No way. They have the exact same problem long-term as the B1G, and couldn't be a worse cultural fit.

Last edited:

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA

The B1G is "invading" SEC territory by going after ... Georgia Tech? If so, the ACC successfully "invaded" SEC territory thirty-five years ago, yet the SEC has somehow managed to win, oh, about 13 national championships since then. Bottom line, Georgia Tech is and has been (for quite some time) largely irrelevant even in its own city. If the B1G wants them, they can have them.

And add Rutgers to get the NYC market? Nonsense, no one living in New York City -- which is obsessed with basically everything but college football, including 9 professional teams -- could care less about the State University of New Jersey. That, just like Georgia Tech, is nothing more than a desperate attempt to expand the map.

Maryland, meanwhile, isn't even in the South, it's mid-Atlantic. And add Notre Dame? No way.

Agreed about Rutgers and the New York market. They're not getting any of it. People up here care about professional sports a lot more than college. I once went to a Temple game (vs. Virginia) and the Virginia fans waaay outnumbered the Temple fans. It's the same way in New York. The only way for the Big 10 to truly add the New York market, would have been to add the Giants. :biggrin2:

But at least Atlanta does care about Georgia Tech.Not as much as Georgia though for sure.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

And add Rutgers to get the NYC market? Nonsense, no one living in New York City -- which is obsessed with basically everything but college football, including 9 professional teams -- could care less about the State University of New Jersey. That, just like Georgia Tech, is nothing more than a desperate attempt to expand the map.

Maryland, meanwhile, isn't even in the South, it's mid-Atlantic. And add Notre Dame? No way.
In Texas we say Nope, I haven't been drinking. Just thinking! Just thinking and not drinking.

It's like the game of Monopoly, we (SEC) need to Win! NOT the B1G!

Isn't Georgia part of the SEC TV Market? UGA is there. Forget the ACC, it's a basketball conference and doesn't have the clout or relevance of the B1G! They can't even sellout their ACC Championship games! GT will become more relevant in the B1G! Now we could add Duke and NC to be even more relevant in basketball. Those two added to Kentucky. Wow!!!

I didn't say Maryland was in the South. However, it is close. I said it's (i.e. B1G is invading the East and Southeast). By east, I mean Atlantic Coast, I mean the Right Coast as opposed to the Left Coast. The PAC has the Left Coast and if they were to enter the Texas market by adding tu, that would be very Big.

The concern is over the FUTURE of the Media Markets. It doesn't matter how many NC's the Southeast has had in the past. What matters now is the FUTURE and how the Media Market can have an effect on that FUTURE of success. You win the media markets, then you'll win the games and/or VOTES in RANKING the top teams. We need as many Big markets as we can get. They not only control the teams rankings but things like the Heisman, etc. voting.

In the past 7 years the B1G has not been very relevant. Looks like the B1G Commissioner is changing the landscape for a future of many years of success. We (SEC) must counteract that! Big Time!!!!!!!

By adding Rutgers a team that played in the first game. It's historic! Adding that market will make the B1G even more relevant in the FUTURE and Rutgers will become more significant.

The SEC can't remain "Status Quo". We've got to fight back some way and I just don't see any options available to us that's as significant at what the B1G would be doing.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Al,

The B1G is not going to sell out their championship game this year, either. Ohio State being on probation hurts, sure, but Nebraska returned 5,000 of their tickets for the game. Just FYI.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

In fact, every conference other than the SEC is having a tough time selling out their championship games. Stanford is having trouble making a home sell-out though I think the fact they beat UCLA convincingly last week has something to do with it. The Big-12 never had much success in huge fan interest nor could they find a site people preferred. The ACCCG is laughably supported and similarly has had trouble finding a good game site. The Big Ten seems to be struggling much the same.

The SEC is the only one that can get good fan turnout and high television ratings. I think the on-campus game site approach of the Pac-12 is a winning strategy though it might not flesh itself out this year.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

In Texas we say Nope, I haven't been drinking. Just thinking! Just thinking and not drinking.

It's like the game of Monopoly, we (SEC) need to Win! NOT the B1G!

Isn't Georgia part of the SEC TV Market? UGA is there. Forget the ACC, it's a basketball conference and doesn't have the clout or relevance of the B1G! They can't even sellout their ACC Championship games! GT will become more relevant in the B1G! Now we could add Duke and NC to be even more relevant in basketball. Those two added to Kentucky. Wow!!!

I didn't say Maryland was in the South. However, it is close. I said it's (i.e. B1G is invading the East and Southeast). By east, I mean Atlantic Coast, I mean the Right Coast as opposed to the Left Coast. The PAC has the Left Coast and if they were to enter the Texas market by adding tu, that would be very Big.

The concern is over the FUTURE of the Media Markets. It doesn't matter how many NC's the Southeast has had in the past. What matters now is the FUTURE and how the Media Market can have an effect on that FUTURE of success. You win the media markets, then you'll win the games and/or VOTES in RANKING the top teams. We need as many Big markets as we can get. They not only control the teams rankings but things like the Heisman, etc. voting.

In the past 7 years the B1G has not been very relevant. Looks like the B1G Commissioner is changing the landscape for a future of many years of success. We (SEC) must counteract that! Big Time!!!!!!!

By adding Rutgers a team that played in the first game. It's historic! Adding that market will make the B1G even more relevant in the FUTURE and Rutgers will become more significant.

The SEC can't remain "Status Quo". We've got to fight back some way and I just don't see any options available to us that's as significant at what the B1G would be doing.
people are not suddenly going to start following Ga Tech if they go to the big 10. Ga Tech is just not a big draw for football and that won't change by changing conferences

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

In fact, every conference other than the SEC is having a tough time selling out their championship games. Stanford is having trouble making a home sell-out though I think the fact they beat UCLA convincingly last week has something to do with it. The Big-12 never had much success in huge fan interest nor could they find a site people preferred. The ACCCG is laughably supported and similarly has had trouble finding a good game site. The Big Ten seems to be struggling much the same.

The SEC is the only one that can get good fan turnout and high television ratings. I think the on-campus game site approach of the Pac-12 is a winning strategy though it might not flesh itself out this year.
The SEC is blessed with unparalleled football passion, limited travel distance to the game site (so far), and a near-guarantee of having two very good teams in the championship game.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Atlanta, like Miami, is in the south only geographically. Atlanta hasn't been an SEC city for at least the last 20 years. If the Big 10 wants Ga Tech then let them have at it. Ga Tech hasn't been a factor in college football, except for 1 year, since the mid 60's.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Atlanta, like Miami, is in the south only geographically. Atlanta hasn't been an SEC city for at least the last 20 years. If the Big 10 wants Ga Tech then let them have at it. Ga Tech hasn't been a factor in college football, except for 1 year, since the mid 60's.
there is no comparison at all between miami and atlanta.

on top of being plenty southern (and being the main hub of the southeastern US economy), the seccg has been played here every year for a long time, the season opens and closes with an sec team in a feature game, and the atlanta metro area consistently provides some of the top prospects in the sec. not to mention how often the sec basketball tourney is hosted here. i'd say atlanta is plenty of an sec town.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
To be completely honest, the SEC front office should go to Georgia and tell them that GT to the SEC will happen because I don't think the SEC should let the Big Ten get any foothold in their region.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.