Official NEW Expansion Thread: Ga. Tech to B1G?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If this Georgia Tech thing happens, I think top SEC targets should be North Carolina, Notre Dame, and Syracuse. I think secondary considerations become Virginia, Cincinnati, and NC State. The oops we screwed up options are Virginia Tech, Pitt, and Duke.

Let's assume the Big 10 gets GT, big state, big market. They'd want to pair them up with NC or Notre Dame so let's assume NC.

This would rattle the ACC to its core. The Big 12 probably does go ahead and move in on Clemson and FSU assuming they can get some sort of deal with Notre Dame (probably like the one Notre Dame has now with the ACC, Texas will want to play Notre Dame annually of course).

Well, the Big 10 would have moved into the south and landed a big fish in UNC and in two big states.The Big 12 would have dramatically increased their potential TV sets, and would have a heck of a garish hood ornament in Notre Dame.The SEC wouldn't look too good unless they pulled a rabbit out of their hat. Assuming it goes down like that though, the SEC should lose incentive to be in a hurry and could take their time trying to make the best possible choice.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
You have a better chance of winning the lottery 3 times in a row than GT getting back in the SEC. NC is not going to leave the ACC unless the whole house of cards comes falling down. And trust me, we do not want ND any more than they want us. Talk about introducing ego and instability into the SEC. No way, no how. Will not happen. The SEC seems content to stand pat no matter what the B1G does short of destroying the ACC as a viable conference unless the right teams come along at the right time asking to join the fold. It's the B1G that is trying to play catch-up and looking desperate. The SEC is fine and will continue to be.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The SEC seems content to stand pat no matter what the B1G does short of destroying the ACC as a viable conference unless the right teams come along at the right time asking to join the fold.
I guess those stories about an open invite to Virginia Tech are false then...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There are a lot of things in math and science people argue with though...so, I mean, expect anything, right?
When it comes to Slive, yes... he thought effectively lower the scholarship limit for the SEC was a good idea. He ran headfirst into a playoff set up specifically to make things harder on the SEC. And he nearly ruined the Texas A&M addition by flirting with Oklahoma. You know, because a state with 3.7 million people is worth more than state with 25 million people. It completely makes sense that he would go after a 61st all time ranked football program under the guise of it being a football power, because that's a boneheaded move. I said on here over a year before he actually did it that he could and should take Texas A&M and Missouri and I still believe that happened despite his efforts to screw it up, not because of his efforts. Even the TV deal has proven to be one that really wasn't that great.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
That's a bit cryptic. What numbers are important to you?
My point is that it isn't all about the numbers you think most important. It's also about fit. It's about timing. It's about the "personality" of a school. It's about the chances of the school packing up and leaving just because they get a notion to do it (Notre Dumb). There's a lot more than just the state population, the TV footprint, or how many fans attend games. It's all of the above and then some.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
It makes no sense for Georgia Tech to join the Big Ten. They are a relatively small school with a relatively small fanbase. They always seem to think too highly of themselves...that is why they left the SEC in the mid-sixties.
A move to a conference with no natural rivalries destroys your fanbase. Tech has never recovered from leaving the SEC.

crimsoncamaro

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 9, 2010
i think the b1g 10 really wanted unc and uva first, but they seem to wanna make the acc stay together so this delaney(b1g 10 commisioner) is now wanting georgia tech. this guy has a boner for notre dame and has been trying to get them to join the b1g 10 for years and notre dame keeps denying him. they want to be independent in football still. they have a package with the acc to play all sports except football and before signing it, notre dame went to delaney with an offer to join the b1g 10 with the exact same package they had with the acc and delaney said no...all in(including football) or nothing. they signed with the acc....i think delaney is doing everything he can to break up the acc to force notre dame to finally join the b1g 10. if we end up with unc or ncst and virg tech we will be just fine. great new markets and institutions.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
My point is that it isn't all about the numbers you think most important. It's also about fit. It's about timing. It's about the "personality" of a school. It's about the chances of the school packing up and leaving just because they get a notion to do it (Notre Dumb). There's a lot more than just the state population, the TV footprint, or how many fans attend games. It's all of the above and then some.
Let's say adding a program to a conference is like marriage. If you can only marry once, you really shouldn't waste your time trying to find the perfect woman because, let's face it... most of us won't end up with supermodels. Instead, you should try to find a good fit for you and you should be happy.

In this era, conferences have more of the Mormon approach to marriage. You can do it over and over again and have lots and lots of wives. But, with each wife you add, you add another mouth to feed, more bills to pay. So, you have to make each choice carefully. But, marriage can have many benefits and marriage can be for political purposes. Eventually though, you will run into problems. You know that there is only so much to go around and you can't keep marrying for ever.

So, as you reach your "max" you can start to look at things differently. You should in fact. Why should you try to find other wives just like the ones you have? What would the point of that be? If those are attributes you like, then perhaps you should just spend more time with the ones you have. However, now might be the time to reach for what was previously unattainable. Perhaps now you can look for a wife which has something the others don't have.

Virginia Tech isn't all of the above. They average around 15K less than Notre Dame in attendance. This, despite having a run of success far ahead of Notre Dame's. Virginia Tech is in the 12th most populated state, but the Virginia demographics are changing. It's not at all SEC territory. Furthermore, Virginia Tech isn't even the top college in the state! Their TV footprint isn't significant either, while Notre Dame (and North Carolina in basketball) routinely play in top rated games, Virginia Tech doesn't even come close.

My point isn't so much that the SEC has to add Notre Dame or North Carolina. It's that the SEC shouldn't base an expansion around a glorified Miss. State. If someone just has to happen, the SEC can and should do better. VT is a decent even number addition, they're a terrible odd number addition. A&M was a great odd number addition, but A&M has a better football history, more money, a larger state, better attendance, etc, etc, etc....

I'm not sure what is worse, the notion of the SEC losing North Carolina to the Big 10, or the notion of the SEC picking second (VT and NC State) and being happy about it.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If this actually happens, the Big 10 will have sent a massive shot across our bow. Atlanta is the largest college football media center. Tech draws a niche following, true. But the metro region is home to football-mad alums from around the country, along with top high school talent. Anybody who doesn't think college football rules there hasn't been to a Saturday Braves game in the middle of a pennant race.

If this is true, we should open an office in the Research Triangle. North Carolina is one of the few targets out there that would improve the SEC.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
If this actually happens, the Big 10 will have sent a massive shot across our bow. Atlanta is the largest college football media center. Tech draws a niche following, true. But the metro region is home to football-mad alums from around the country, along with top high school talent. Anybody who doesn't think college football rules there hasn't been to a Saturday Braves game in the middle of a pennant race.

If this is true, we should open an office in the Research Triangle. North Carolina is one of the few targets out there that would improve the SEC.
I don't think it is a big deal. Atlanta is still SEC country. Just because GA Tech is located there, doesn't mean that UGA is not still top dog in ATL and all the rest of Georgia too. I'm still hoping the ACC can hold it together.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
krazy3, I have not once argued for VT. I did say GT and ND to SEC will not happen. I did say UNC is going nowhere - big anything, SEC, or anything else - unless the whole conference goes to pot. I think you have misunderstood me somehow. I also did say the SEC is happy to stand pat unless and until the teams on their shortlist ask to join. I'm sure they are cultivating relationships with a number of schools. That is all for now.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
krazy3, I have not once argued for VT. I did say GT and ND to SEC will not happen. I did say UNC is going nowhere - big anything, SEC, or anything else - unless the whole conference goes to pot. I think you have misunderstood me somehow. I also did say the SEC is happy to stand pat unless and until the teams on their shortlist ask to join. I'm sure they are cultivating relationships with a number of schools. That is all for now.
Well, you weren't saying much at all. The problem is VT appears to be on their shortlist. They might think they are picking their team for EA's NCAA football but from what I've heard that's the case...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.