Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Re: Official NEW Expansion Thread: Maryland reportedly going to B1G

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I'm not sure what we are supposed to offer North Carolina. All we can say is "See this big pile of money? If you and your friend join, you each get 1/16 of it. Just like everybody else.".
    Stable conference, better regional fit, and yes a big pile of money.

To illustrate why I don't think the SEC has to expand now though, or that Virginia and NC are not the only viable option here is my list of candidates as it relates to the SEC. Remember good additions for another conference would vary, for instance the Big 12 moving into Florida would be significant.

Tier one: (the "home run" additions)
    Notre Dame
    North Carolina

Tier two: (decent additions, but not remarkable on their own)
    Virginia
    Cincinnati
    NC State
    Virginia Tech
    Duke

Tier three: (not obvious choices for any number of reasons)
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Kansas

Now, some of those might seem like long shots and some offer limited value. But, if you are talking TV dollars, or basketball powers, you are not at all limited to Virginia and NC. Certainly, considering those options I don't see how or why VT could be the centerpiece of an addition. It is a very real possibility that the SEC jump the gun, end up third in the next round of additions and all because they couldn't stop slobbering over a mediocre addition. Remember, you do have to share your money.

But, there is potential for more money. North Carolina for instance seems to make more selling their tier three rights for more than the Big 10 shares. This means the value of their programming would be extremely high and would not just put the network in more states, but give it higher ratings. On the flip side, based on my math Syracuse could bring in around 45 million a year in subscriber fees. Mind you, that's split up amongst the network owners and is not counting expenses, but I think you get the idea. Yes, it's a reach but they were in the same conference as Miami. It could work.

I just hope the SEC starts looking at the top and doesn't spend all their time trying for mediocre. If they can yank VT out of there, sure... the ACC will fall, but they won't be much better off for it. They'll be bigger, but better? Not so much... however, if they can stall until their network is off the ground, they'll be much better informed and more capable of luring a big fish, or just figuring out if it's worth a reach to get into a larger states. Right now it's all assumptions, unlike the Big 10 who knew exactly what adding Rutgers would mean to their network.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; November 27th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    Made for TV... UNC v Minnesota, UNC v Northwestern... Yeah that gets the heart stirring. UNC v UT, UNC v USC, UNC v UGA now we are talking... If UNC or UVA move to the Big 10 I think it will be a big failure in terms of market appeal. Hopefully someone in the media is telling these schools that such a move doesnt make sense compared to a geographic and cultural move to the SEC. Get 10 miles outside of town in VA or NC and almost everyone is just like what you would find in traditional SEC states.
    Good point; that sentiment also applies to east Texas (east of I45, the Dallas to Houston interstate) and southeastern Oklahoma. Probably some other locations as well.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Not that it matters, but apparently Tulane has joined the Big East in all sports.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf...in_the_bi.html
    Yawn.

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

UNC trying to put out fires already...I say it's a smoke screen..

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ignment-rumors

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post
    UNC trying to put out fires already...I say it's a smoke screen..

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ignment-rumors
    Or "Famous last words"?

BamaNation All-American RammerJammer14's Avatar
    My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

IMO, the SEC is stable because it is regionally sound, distributes profits evenly, and has a (central) neutral site championship game with no outrageous affiliations.

Once we start going outside our South Eastern footprint I think the conference will lose its stability, especially if they start hopping states ala west virginia-big 12. Throw in a Notre Dame that, in addition to having no cultural ties, will demand special treatment (especially since they have returned to relevancy) and I just think that is a recipe for disaster. But like I said, just my opinion.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer14 View Post
    IMO, the SEC is stable because it is regionally sound, distributes profits evenly, and has a (central) neutral site championship game with no outrageous affiliations.

Once we start going outside our South Eastern footprint I think the conference will lose its stability, especially if they start hopping states ala west virginia-big 12. Throw in a Notre Dame that, in addition to having no cultural ties, will demand special treatment (especially since they have returned to relevancy) and I just think that is a recipe for disaster. But like I said, just my opinion.
    I guess we have to find some reason to say Notre Dame is a bad addition since the whole they are irrelevant talk doesn't work anymore

Seriously though, they are a good addition but it was never about being a good cultural fit. It was about money, and power. The SEC thought they played their cards well, only to find out they were still second in revenue. They could be the wealthiest conference, but there will be some sacrifice. And let's be clear here, 16 teams will require sacrifice either way. That's one reason I say don't do it unless you have a clear improvement.

But, Notre Dame and North Carolina both would be clear improvements. Also, both are contiguous so no state hopping required. I find it a bit odd that a lot of people were really into adding Virginia Tech, when they share less border with SEC states than Indiana and are about as far north. No one can really compellingly argue for VT as some sort of better geographical fit and at the same time completely dismiss Notre Dame.

Notre Dame is not the best cultural fit, and they are not the best geographic fit. But they're in Indiana. Indiana isn't much farther north than Missouri, and it's not as far west as Mississippi. It wouldn't stretch the SEC past some sort of a breaking point.

Honestly, no two programs could do that. Even if it was Kansas and Syracuse, or Notre Dame or North Carolina, the SEC wouldn't suddenly lose their identity. I don't think you go to 16 unless it's clearly to the benefit of the conference and that's why I say you absolutely don't expand without Notre Dame or North Carolina. However, if you are going to rock the boat, if you are going to take that step why should the SEC settle for mediocrity? Because they fit in better?

Don't get me wrong, the SEC absolutely shouldn't break from the way things are done. Anyone who joins has to join under the same terms as everyone else. However, should the SEC add VT just because they are there and somehow they seem southern enough for us? No, absolutely not. I'm fine with the SEC doing nothing right now, in fact I'm worried the SEC is being stupid and helping the more desirable ACC programs pack their bags for the Big 10.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; November 27th, 2012 at 09:51 PM.

I do not want Notre Dame because I don't see them agreeing to be an equal member with everyone else. And, yes, they are in Indiana, but they are still pretty far north.

I'm not wild about UNC, either. Yes, it gets us in a new state, but a state that is more about basketball and one that is divided into four parts among BCS teams (five if you count East Carolina).

Personally, I'd be happy if we stayed at 14 and would have been fine with 12.

I never thought the Big XII was dead like everyone else did. I just didn't see Texas heading to the west coast.

The possible demise of the ACC does shock me. With them being shielded by the SEC, I did not expect other leagues to leapfrog in and start cherry picking. I guess West Virginia was the first step. While not an ACC school, it did show that area of the country could be poached. now with Maryland and Rutgers headed to the midwest, everyone is fair play.

It is interesting nobody seems to want to leave the SEC. Its not like no one has ever left before and our exit fee of zero isn't putting a gun to anyone's head.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Official NEW Expansion Thread: Demise of the ACC?

ESPN has a developing story - ACC is expected to vote on expansion tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Official NEW Expansion Thread: Demise of the ACC?

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    ESPN has a developing story - ACC is expected to vote on expansion tomorrow.
    Rumor (and ESPN) have it that we'll be voting to add lewisville some time this morning. Bletch. Only thing I can think of is that this was a clear move to appease the football-first schools (F$U, CU, and VT) so that they don't bail. Had the league added uconn I think F$U would have been on the phone to the SEC & B12 immediately afterwards.

Thing is, no matter who we add, unless it's ND, nothing the ACC does will stop either the SEC or the B1G from wanting to tap the lucrative media markets in NC/VA, so IMO this is just postponing the inevitable for a year or two.

@McMurphyESPN: BREAKING: ACC votes to add Louisville sources tell @ESPN. Cards will be 6th team to leave Big East for ACC
    Roll Tide

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    Rumor (and ESPN) have it that we'll be voting to add lewisville some time this morning. Bletch. Only thing I can think of is that this was a clear move to appease the football-first schools (F$U, CU, and VT) so that they don't bail. Had the league added uconn I think F$U would have been on the phone to the SEC & B12 immediately afterwards.

Thing is, no matter who we add, unless it's ND, nothing the ACC does will stop either the SEC or the B1G from wanting to tap the lucrative media markets in NC/VA, so IMO this is just postponing the inevitable for a year or two.
    That Powerhouse Louisville!

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Decent basketball add, but pretty much another NC State or UVA in terms of football.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner