Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Re: Official NEW Expansion Thread: Ga. Tech to B1G?

It makes no sense for Georgia Tech to join the Big Ten. They are a relatively small school with a relatively small fanbase. They always seem to think too highly of themselves...that is why they left the SEC in the mid-sixties.
    A move to a conference with no natural rivalries destroys your fanbase. Tech has never recovered from leaving the SEC.
    Bama 867-314-44 72.6% On the field

23 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS

2. Advertisement

i think the b1g 10 really wanted unc and uva first, but they seem to wanna make the acc stay together so this delaney(b1g 10 commisioner) is now wanting georgia tech. this guy has a boner for notre dame and has been trying to get them to join the b1g 10 for years and notre dame keeps denying him. they want to be independent in football still. they have a package with the acc to play all sports except football and before signing it, notre dame went to delaney with an offer to join the b1g 10 with the exact same package they had with the acc and delaney said no...all in(including football) or nothing. they signed with the acc....i think delaney is doing everything he can to break up the acc to force notre dame to finally join the b1g 10. if we end up with unc or ncst and virg tech we will be just fine. great new markets and institutions.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles14 View Post
    My point is that it isn't all about the numbers you think most important. It's also about fit. It's about timing. It's about the "personality" of a school. It's about the chances of the school packing up and leaving just because they get a notion to do it (Notre Dumb). There's a lot more than just the state population, the TV footprint, or how many fans attend games. It's all of the above and then some.
    Let's say adding a program to a conference is like marriage. If you can only marry once, you really shouldn't waste your time trying to find the perfect woman because, let's face it... most of us won't end up with supermodels. Instead, you should try to find a good fit for you and you should be happy.

In this era, conferences have more of the Mormon approach to marriage. You can do it over and over again and have lots and lots of wives. But, with each wife you add, you add another mouth to feed, more bills to pay. So, you have to make each choice carefully. But, marriage can have many benefits and marriage can be for political purposes. Eventually though, you will run into problems. You know that there is only so much to go around and you can't keep marrying for ever.

So, as you reach your "max" you can start to look at things differently. You should in fact. Why should you try to find other wives just like the ones you have? What would the point of that be? If those are attributes you like, then perhaps you should just spend more time with the ones you have. However, now might be the time to reach for what was previously unattainable. Perhaps now you can look for a wife which has something the others don't have.

Virginia Tech isn't all of the above. They average around 15K less than Notre Dame in attendance. This, despite having a run of success far ahead of Notre Dame's. Virginia Tech is in the 12th most populated state, but the Virginia demographics are changing. It's not at all SEC territory. Furthermore, Virginia Tech isn't even the top college in the state! Their TV footprint isn't significant either, while Notre Dame (and North Carolina in basketball) routinely play in top rated games, Virginia Tech doesn't even come close.

My point isn't so much that the SEC has to add Notre Dame or North Carolina. It's that the SEC shouldn't base an expansion around a glorified Miss. State. If someone just has to happen, the SEC can and should do better. VT is a decent even number addition, they're a terrible odd number addition. A&M was a great odd number addition, but A&M has a better football history, more money, a larger state, better attendance, etc, etc, etc....

I'm not sure what is worse, the notion of the SEC losing North Carolina to the Big 10, or the notion of the SEC picking second (VT and NC State) and being happy about it.

If this actually happens, the Big 10 will have sent a massive shot across our bow. Atlanta is the largest college football media center. Tech draws a niche following, true. But the metro region is home to football-mad alums from around the country, along with top high school talent. Anybody who doesn't think college football rules there hasn't been to a Saturday Braves game in the middle of a pennant race.

If this is true, we should open an office in the Research Triangle. North Carolina is one of the few targets out there that would improve the SEC.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    If this actually happens, the Big 10 will have sent a massive shot across our bow. Atlanta is the largest college football media center. Tech draws a niche following, true. But the metro region is home to football-mad alums from around the country, along with top high school talent. Anybody who doesn't think college football rules there hasn't been to a Saturday Braves game in the middle of a pennant race.

If this is true, we should open an office in the Research Triangle. North Carolina is one of the few targets out there that would improve the SEC.
    I don't think it is a big deal. Atlanta is still SEC country. Just because GA Tech is located there, doesn't mean that UGA is not still top dog in ATL and all the rest of Georgia too. I'm still hoping the ACC can hold it together.

BamaNation All-American NationalTitles15's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

krazy3, I have not once argued for VT. I did say GT and ND to SEC will not happen. I did say UNC is going nowhere - big anything, SEC, or anything else - unless the whole conference goes to pot. I think you have misunderstood me somehow. I also did say the SEC is happy to stand pat unless and until the teams on their shortlist ask to join. I'm sure they are cultivating relationships with a number of schools. That is all for now.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles14 View Post
    krazy3, I have not once argued for VT. I did say GT and ND to SEC will not happen. I did say UNC is going nowhere - big anything, SEC, or anything else - unless the whole conference goes to pot. I think you have misunderstood me somehow. I also did say the SEC is happy to stand pat unless and until the teams on their shortlist ask to join. I'm sure they are cultivating relationships with a number of schools. That is all for now.
    Well, you weren't saying much at all. The problem is VT appears to be on their shortlist. They might think they are picking their team for EA's NCAA football but from what I've heard that's the case...

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

And the Big East prepares for possibly the last blow...

Link
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    And the Big East prepares for possibly the last blow...

Link
    I thought about making a topic but wasn't sure it's important enough. It is in theory good news though since instead of 5 nothing conferences there would be 4. Eventually I'd hope some of these college football programs would see they are unwanted and drop football or at least go down to the level they belong at.

Off topic, but can't we stop using the "B1G" logo for the Big 10 now that there are 12 teams in the league.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by EHSWildkats View Post
    Off topic, but can't we stop using the "B1G" logo for the Big 10 now that there are 12 teams in the league.
    If we are going to stop using their new adopted logo, let's also stop using their official name since they don't have 10 teams.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    If we are going to stop using their new adopted logo, let's also stop using their official name since they don't have 10 teams.
    Let's also quit with the whole "leaders" and "legends" division names. Not only are they stupid, they are also not factual. The Big Ten has neither led, nor been legendary.

BamaNation All-SEC

Re: next round of expansion already getting underway

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    I'm sick of expansion. This last expansion has done us no good.
    Hows that?

Maybe not because we lost a game, but the way that Texas A&M played definitely brought a lot of attention to the SEC.