Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1417181920212223242526 LastLast
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Official NEW Expansion Thread: Ga. Tech to B1G?

San Diego State decides to stay with the Mountain West Conference.

Link
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    San Diego State decides to stay with the Mountain West Conference.

Link
    No big surprise. They had a free out with Boise leaving and staying put was clearly their best option. Going to the Big East for football meant putting their other sports in the West Coast Conference, so this will help them overall.

This puts the MWC at 12 for football and 11 for everything else, Hawaii is football only, other sports in the WCC. So now the MWC can have a championship game. This drops the Big East to 11 for football, assuming Navy still joins as football only in 2015, which I doubt they will. I heard rumors on another board that Tulsa may leave C-USA for the Big East.

I don't get why anyone, even Tulsa, would join the Big East at this point.

BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Official NEW Expansion Thread: Demise of the ACC?

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Texas A&M, Notre Dame, and North Carolina seem like they'll be the biggest pieces in an expansion. Notre Dame remains a long shot, but they did make a deal with the ACC, which represents a move further south and some flexibility. I completely agree you do not add them unless as an equal member though (which is unlikely anytime soon). If Texas A&M can be equal so can Notre Dame.

The same goes for UNC. I don't see adding them if you have to add another NC school to appease them. However, I've looked at the numbers and their brand is extremely valuable. They average 55K attendance in football, which puts them ahead of schools like Georgia Tech, Miami, etc... their athletic department's revenue puts them ahead of schools like Virginia Tech, Clemson, Missouri, etc... The key though is how much their tier three rights are worth. They are apparently worth as much as NC State, Virginia Tech, and Auburn put together. Their programming value would be extremely high and their population is high enough that despite having other instate schools, they would add a lot subscribers as well. They are a national brand though, a bit like Notre Dame and Alabama football (on the list I saw, Alabama comes in second to North Carolina in tier three revenue) and would make selling SEC programming that much easier.

If there is any sort of inevitability to having 16 teams, the SEC absolutely needs to zero in on those two schools and if they can't land either then they need to stall going to 16 as long as possible. If you don't like UNC and Notre Dame, take a hard look at NC State and Virginia Tech, who many seem to think is the direction the SEC is headed. Those two are vastly inferior.

Well, the SEC, Big 10 and Pac-12 look to be the only parties with, or ready to launch a network. That means more potential revenue for most schools. I don't see any schools departing from those three, but everyone else is still vulnerable.

They actually do generate a lot of revenue. They are bad if you want to do a TV network, but the ACC's deal already sold their tier three football rights anyway.
    if Notre Dame aligns with any conference, I believe it will be the B1G. I think their partial deal with the ACC was their solution to put off a permanent affiliation.

BamaNation All-American cuda.1973's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sick on TideFans.com

Re: Official NEW Expansion Thread: Demise of the ACC?

In light of recent developments, it has been exposed that Nutter Dumber already believes it is a conference.

"I saw it in the Rolling Stone, man.............it has to be true!"
    "As slowly turns the grinding wheel
    In the court of the crimson king."

Quote Originally Posted by thefloydian View Post
    I don't get why anyone, even Tulsa, would join the Big East at this point.
    Doesn't make sense to me either, but that's the hot rumor on another board I follow. They'd seem to be a better fit for the MWC, but they may not want to go past 12 right now. The Big East does have Houston and SMU, so they wouldn't be out on an island. Also, Tulane and Memphis are in the neighborhood and southern miss is the next westernmost team.

- Sun Belt Conference commissioner Karl Benson, in a telephone interview with AL.com Friday evening, confirmed an earlier report by ESPN.com's Brett McMurphy that Middle Tennessee State and Florida Atlantic will join Conference USA on July 1
    http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2..._flyout_sports

This drops the Sun Belt to eight football members, so I guess they'll call up a couple more teams from the FCS level. C-USA will now have 14 next year, then drop to 12 in 2014 when East Carolina and Tulane go to the Big East and then back to 14 when Charlotte and Old Dominion come aboard. If C-USA keeps drafting Sun Belt schools and football teams that didn't exist five years ago, UAB might just make it to a bowl game.

BamaNation All-American RollTideMang's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I wonder why C-USA doesn't go for Troy. Troy and UAB already have a yearly rivalry game that they play, and Troy has come very close to beating some big name SEC teams the past few years.

UAB fans don't seem to want Troy in their league, having them in the same league would make them equals and would hurt UAB's recruiting.

In other realignment news, not football related but does relate to this state, UAH's hockey team has joined a league with two teams in Alaska.

The Western Collegiate Hockey Association, in a vote of its presidents, extended an invitation to UAH today at the NCAA Convention in the Dallas suburb of Grapevine. The Chargers, led by school President Dr. Robert Altenkirch and Director of Athletics E.J. Brophy, accepted
    http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...n_to_join.html

I'm all for having diversity of sports programs, but a hockey team that has such an extensive and expensive travel budget needs to be dropped.

Re: next round of expansion already getting underway

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Tom View Post
    Totally agree leave us alone or Bama go Independent in football.
    I do not recall anyone wanting us to go Independent when we were struggling. I love SEC football. I hope BAMA never goes Independent. We are not Tejas or the Dommers. We need the SEC and the SEC needs us.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaTider View Post
    I do not recall anyone wanting us to go Independent when we were struggling. I love SEC football. I hope BAMA never goes Independent. We are not Tejas or the Dommers. We need the SEC and the SEC needs us.
    Truth. Independence would be an unmitigated disaster for Alabama. Take away the SEC schools and consider what our football schedule would look like. Then consider the non-revenue sports.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I believe as some have said in multiple expansion threads; there needs to be a movement to reduce the number of FBS teams from 124 to somewhere near 60+-. There is no need for the lesser conferences (CUSA, Sunbelt, Big East, MAC, WAC, etc) to be in the FBS. Let them have their own division and NC. Teams from those conferences have no chance to ever win the NC in football against the major BCS conferences. That is the real world, there will always be the haves and the have nots.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I believe as some have said in multiple expansion threads; there needs to be a movement to reduce the number of FBS teams from 124 to somewhere near 60+-. There is no need for the lesser conferences (CUSA, Sunbelt, Big East, MAC, WAC, etc) to be in the FBS. Let them have their own division and NC. Teams from those conferences have no chance to ever win the NC in football against the major BCS conferences. That is the real world, there will always be the haves and the have nots.
    If we had 60 teams in the top division of college football, you could have 5 12 team conferences. Then an 8 team playoff with the champions of the 5 conferences and 3 wild cards would solve once and for all the griping and complaining as to who the champion is. An 8 team playoff would be easy to do using the main bowls, Sugar, Rose, Orange, Fiesta, Chick-Fil-A, and Cotton. Every bowl would be important and a must see, so the money would be enormous for the sport.

The other 60+ teams not in the top division could do the same with the lesser bowls and be playing for a championship which would make those bowls mean something and very watchable for all of us. But...it makes to much sense for it to happen.