Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

next round of expansion already getting underway

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Tom View Post
    Totally agree leave us alone or Bama go Independent in football.
    I would love for that to happen at this point. We're already having scheduling problems, and with the addition of two more teams just imagine the consequences. We almost knocked ourselves out of the big one this year.
    ROLL TIDE!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: next round of expansion already getting underway

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    I would love for that to happen at this point. We're already having scheduling problems, and with the addition of two more teams just imagine the consequences. We almost knocked ourselves out of the big one this year.

If the SEC and others go to 16 teams, pressure will be on teams like ND to join a conference.
    Their sweetheart deal will end and they can drift without a rudder,
    or join a conference to participate in a conference championship game.
    I'm sure their decision will ultimately be to their favor...
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; November 18th, 2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: format

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ldlane View Post
    Fact is they can't go anywhere without an invitation.
    Agreed, but I think Kansas State is kinda getting screwed by the lack of a conference championship game. They only play one more game in this calendar year and I think if they had a B12CG in addition to Texas that they could make some movement in the BCS (the BCS likes the B12 this year). This makes the Big 12 potentially very interested in getting back to post-season championship eligibility in my opinion. I know they have a lot of talk about hating the championship game but I feel like the last two years a championship game could have made all the difference for them. Especially when Alabama was idle and Okie State could have gained a narrow edge over us with an additional quality win.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

would Va Tech and either UNC or Duke be good editions to the SEC or would they be like Mizzou , cuz the east is an easy division
    “There's not too much to say. Alabama thoroughly beat us. They are a better team. They were coached better, they played better, and they looked like they will have a big season. They have a heck of a team.”
    Steve Spurrier

Big A Re: next round of expansion already getting underway

We would not take Duke unless it was a package with UNC -- and I doubt that they would come. We ought to go for Va Tech and UNC or NC State. The latter has a better all around program...UNC is obviously the name in basketball. However, I doubt any of them would pay $50 million to leave...nor would the SEC pay it. I cannot believe Maryland will pay it...they are already hurting for money in their athletic programs. I cannot believe that the Big Ten wants UM. I have never seen a lot of class in any of their programs.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

next round of expansion already getting underway

Guys we can forget any of the Carolina teams. The ACC will likely look at Louisville to replace Maryland. If that happens it will send a message to "football" schools that basketball is king. FSU already not happy with the addition of Syracuse .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went to NC State for graduate school after graduating from UA. It's a great school academically, but I'm not sure how well they would fit in the SEC. The football fans are pretty enthusiastic, but the gameday atmosphere is absolutely NOTHING like at an SEC school. Part of that is because the stadium is quite a ways away from the campus, much too far to walk. There is space for tailgating, but it's just a fairground parking lot. Not as cool as tailgating on campus IMO. That being said, I would be interested to see how well coach O'Brien could do if he could manage to get some better recruits due to being the in SEC. Anyway, the obvious schools in the ACC that would fit well in the SEC are Clemson and FSU.

As far as the effect of conference expansions on Alabama, I have a hard time seeing how it wouldn't hurt us. Our schedule is tough enough as it is (this year might be an exception since several teams we thought would be good weren't such as Arkansas and Mich). But replacing the Western Carolinas and Western Kentuckys with Clemsons and FSUs would make it awfully darn tough to run the table. Now, if all the conferences go to 16 teams this effect may even out. If it doesn't result in fewer undefeated teams all over the country, it could result in fewer SEC BCSNC's, as the SEC teams all eat each other while PAC/Big's coast into the big game on easier schedules.
    Discipline.
    Commitment.
    Effort.
    Toughness.
    Pride.
    (http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20100201/news/100209986)

I didn't like the idea of us expanding past 12 and I don't want us to go to 16. I don't like the idea of goign years without palying someone in football. Even with a nine game schedule, a 16 team league would have the same issues as eight games with 14 teams. But if the others bulk up to 16, I don't want us to be stuck with bottom feeder teams when we go to 16.

Maryland just dropped all their men's track and cross country teams, both men and women's swimming, men's tennis, women's water polo and the women's competitive cheer teams. But they can afford $50 million to leave the ACC?

BamaNation First Team uafootball92's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    would Va Tech and either UNC or Duke be good editions to the SEC or would they be like Mizzou , cuz the east is an easy division
    I would love the VaTech addition, but friends in Blacksburg tend to think there is no way that happens without VT and UVA being a package deal. I believe UVA helped out a lot to pull VT into the ACC from the Big East and both for the rivalry and the help, I think they would have to come together. Fine by me. Roanoke and most of the state of Virginia for VaTech and would probably encompass the DC area by adding both.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."

-Coach Bryant

BamaNation First Team The Playmaker's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Eventually there will only be power conferences with 14 or 16 teams. At first I didn't like our expansion but Texas A&M is a good program and Missouri brings many sports and academics. I can't see Clemson or FSU getting in because some teams would block the deal (USC and UF for instance). I would hope we bring Virginia Tech and North Carolina (outside shot)

West:
    Alabama
    Arkansas
    Auburn
    LSU
    Missouri
    Mississippi
    Mississippi St
    Texas A&M

East:
    Florida
    Georgia
    Kentucky
    North Carolina
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Vanderbilt
    Virginia Tech

7 division games, 2 outside division games, and 3 out of conference games. One out of division game will be used as a rival (permanent) game so for us it would be Tennessee and the other game would rotate. Even though an expansion would make the conference tougher we're already the toughest conference and with other conferences adding schools it would remain at the disparity as it is now. This also eliminates so many games against div 2 games. I can understand 1 but 2 or more is kind of ridiculous, especially late in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by uafootball92 View Post
    I would love the VaTech addition, but friends in Blacksburg tend to think there is no way that happens without VT and UVA being a package deal.
    UVa would never join the SEC. Neither would the Carolina schools. NC State might want to, but the NC legislature would never let them.

Schools like UNC and UVa are as likely to join the SEC as Michigan or Ohio State.
    Last edited by JeffAtlanta; November 19th, 2012 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Playmaker View Post
    Eventually there will only be power conferences with 14 or 16 teams. At first I didn't like our expansion but Texas A&M is a good program and Missouri brings many sports and academics. I can't see Clemson or FSU getting in because some teams would block the deal (USC and UF for instance). I would hope we bring Virginia Tech and North Carolina (outside shot)

West:
    Alabama
    Arkansas
    Auburn
    LSU
    Missouri
    Mississippi
    Mississippi St
    Texas A&M

East:
    Florida
    Georgia
    Kentucky
    North Carolina
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Vanderbilt
    Virginia Tech

7 division games, 2 outside division games, and 3 out of conference games. One out of division game will be used as a rival (permanent) game so for us it would be Tennessee and the other game would rotate. Even though an expansion would make the conference tougher we're already the toughest conference and with other conferences adding schools it would remain at the disparity as it is now. This also eliminates so many games against div 2 games. I can understand 1 but 2 or more is kind of ridiculous, especially late in the season.
    Vandy and AU should swap and make the split geographical.......

[QUOTE=DCETP;2035728]I went to NC State for graduate school after graduating from UA. It's a great school academically, but I'm not sure how well they would fit in the SEC. The football fans are pretty enthusiastic, but the gameday atmosphere is absolutely NOTHING like at an SEC school. Part of that is because the stadium is quite a ways away from the campus, much too far to walk. There is space for tailgating, but it's just a fairground parking lot. Not as cool as tailgating on campus IMO. That being said, I would be interested to see how well coach O'Brien could do if he could manage to get some better recruits due to being the in SEC. Anyway, the obvious schools in the ACC that would fit well in the SEC are Clemson and FSU.

Bud, you've just described game day at South Carolina.