Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Re: next round of expansion already getting underway

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTut View Post
    Mark it down: Va Tech and NC State will be in the SEC when all is said and done.
    Those would be great additions....if we have to expand.
    Bama 870-314-44 72.6% On the field

23 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Markets. Rutgers = NYC, Maryland = D.C.
    Although, hardly anyone in the DC area watches Maryland. Penn State and Va Tech have a much bigger following here.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Articl...-Big-10-102256

A source with knowledge of the situation told InsideMDSports that Maryland's Board of Regents hasdecided to move forward with a move to the Big 10 Conference.
    You will suffer through one of two things in life, either the pain of discipline or the pain of disappointment - Nick Saban

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTut View Post
    Mark it down: Va Tech and NC State will be in the SEC when all is said and done.
    I will go on record with this stance as well. I will go as far to say that once Florida State jumps ship, the SEC will add Va Tech and NC State.
    You will suffer through one of two things in life, either the pain of discipline or the pain of disappointment - Nick Saban

Here's what they could do:

Add VT and Clemson (my preference).

Make 4 divisions with 4 teams each.

Each division plays the entirety of another division each year and then rotates, plus one rotating team each from the other divisions. That's 9 games.

For example:
    SEC North - Mizzou, Kentucky, Virginia Tech, Tennessee
    SEC South - Mississippi State, Bama, AU, UF
    SEC East - Clemson, UGA, South Carolina, Vandy
    SEC West - Arkansas, TAMU, LSU, Ole Miss

You could probably tweak the divisions so you keep rivalries, but that's how I'd like to see it work.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Tide View Post
    Although, hardly anyone in the DC area watches Maryland. Penn State and Va Tech have a much bigger following here.
    That's surprising as College Park is within the Beltway, but any event it I would imagine that Baltimore would also be included.

I am almost willing to bet that UM takes the ACC to court if they try to enforce the 50 million payout to leave. This is insanity...
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Mike Slive wants to expand the footprint into North Carolina and it makes sense: a rapidly growing state with lots of TV sets, reasonable geographic fit, a large corporate presence and lots of corporate dollars to add to the SEC money machine, etc. NC State would seem most likely. I assume UNC and Duke stick together and maintain their tradition in the ACC unless it totally blows up. Wake Forest has a tiny enrollment/alumni base and its academics probably prestigious enough to justify adding a small, private school.

If NC State ever pulled the trigger, then who do you add to go along with them? Politics in Virginia could keep UVa and VA Tech together, and they'd be be an attractive pair if they were willing to come together. It's hard to see West Virginia moving again. Clemson, Florida State, (heaven forbid) Miami, and Georgia Tech really don't add anything to the footprint (though Clemson and FSU could be seen as enhancing the value of the football product). If none of those options play out, it leaves you looking west again, which I don't really think Slive wants to do.
    Defense STILL wins championships. RTR!!!

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

According to Chris Nee at Noles 24/7 Rutgers has also made it official B1G.

I still don't get the allure of adding Virginia Tech. The SEC doesn't need football powers and I'm not sure that VT is legit a football power anyway (but that IS the only thing they are good at besides bass fishing). They're somewhere between FSU and Boise St. in terms of their track record. The SEC considered Maryland, and the Big 10 looks like they are going to add them. Remember, the Big 10 is the richest conference, they're not stupid. The path to more $s is not to just try to pile more and more football powers on top of each other.

Personally, as I said before I think it's a wash in terms of Virginia Tech and Virginia if you consider their merits as is right now. If you consider that the SEC doesn't have incentive to raise the SoS (especially if they add an extra conference game), I'm not sure what the allure of VT is. VT has 65K in attendance per game. Missouri is at 62K a game, and they're not even a football power. VT reminds me of Miami...

NC State and North Carolina both have a lot to offer though. They both earn boatloads in basketball revenue, and despite struggles in football they are both at 56K in attendance. Once again, VT the mighty football power isn't really putting them too far in the rear view in terms of fan support. Some SEC teams are bound to struggle, you know the Carolina programs will still be selling tickets win or lose.

But, beyond one of the Carolina schools it is hard to say. I like Virginia because it's a don't rock the boat situation. They have more sports revenue than VT if I recall, and they aren't reliant on a strong football program for relevance. But, the more I thought about it the more I'm not in love with either. I've mentioned Notre Dame as a unrealistic long shot and there's a lot of reasons to want that, but Notre Dame wants to be catered to.

Clemson and FSU really don't offer much to the SEC, same with Georgia Tech. Oklahoma? That state is tiny... I think it makes the most sense for the SEC to just wait things out as long a they can. If North Carolina or NC State are just sitting there, ready to grab, then it forces their hand most likely, but until then? There's no rush...

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I still don't get the allure of adding Virginia Tech. The SEC doesn't need football powers and I'm not sure that VT is legit a football power anyway (but that IS the only thing they are good at besides bass fishing). They're somewhere between FSU and Boise St. in terms of their track record. The SEC considered Maryland, and the Big 10 looks like they are going to add them. Remember, the Big 10 is the richest conference, they're not stupid. The path to more $s is not to just try to pile more and more football powers on top of ecah other.

Personally, as I said before I think it's a wash in terms of Virginia Tech and Virginia if you consider their merits as is right now. If you consider that the SEC doesn't have incentive to raise the SoS (especially if they add an extra conference game), I'm not sure what the allure of VT is. VT has 65K in attendance per game. Missouri is at 62K a game, and they're not even a football power. VT reminds me of Miami...

NC State and North Carolina both have a lot to offer though. They both earn boatloads in basketball revenue, and despite struggles in football they are both at 56K in attendance. Once again, VT the mighty football power isn't really putting them too far in the rear view in terms of fan support. Some SEC teams are bound to struggle, you know the Carolina programs will still be selling tickets win or lose.

But, beyond one of the Carolina schools it is hard to say. I like Virginia because it's a don't rock the boat situation. They have more sports revenue than VT if I recall, and they aren't reliant on a strong football program for relevance. But, the more I thought about it the more I'm not in love with either. I've mentioned Notre Dame as a unrealistic long shot and there's a lot of reasons to want that, but Notre Dame wants to be catered to.

Clemson and FSU really don't offer much to the SEC, same with Georgia Tech. Oklahoma? That state is tiny... I think it makes the most sense for the SEC to just wait things out as long a they can. If North Carolina or NC State are just sitting there, ready to grab, then it forces their hand most likely, but until then? There's no rush...
    Which is one reason that I wasn't too upset with Mizzou because they bring some good roundball action!

Quote Originally Posted by Ldlane View Post
    Which is one reason that I wasn't too upset with Mizzou because they bring some good roundball action!
    I hope the SEC sees the "final" round of expansions as a way to better their basketball brand. They at this point are only searching out more TV sets for football, they can't really get better, you can only jam so many in the top ten of the BCS. But, if they better their basketball brand, it's going to be more exciting and the money won't hurt either.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

ITíS OFFICIAL: TERPS MOVING TO BIG TEN

RT @StevePoliti: It's happening: Rutgers will join Big Ten. Here's our story. http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2012/11/rutgers_to_join_big_ten_once_f.html Ö

Bringing the property values down.