Official NEW Expansion Thread: Ga. Tech to B1G?

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Re: next round of expansion already getting underway

The ACC revolves around UNC the same way that the Big-12 revolves around Texas. The conference, as it is now, basically exists to give the NC schools someone to play.

I wouldn't be surprised if the B1G didn't informally reach out to UNC and Duke as well, but both declined due to not wanting to give up the power they have now.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN

Does the season end in April then? You can't play two games a day or back-to back days in football like you can in basketball. A 64-team post-season playoff + 12 game regular season? That's insane. Also "64" and "elite" do not belong together in this context. At that point you are on the edge of including losing programs. Just sayin.
I would think the season would end in mid-January. It wouldn't be a 64-team tournament. If each conference had a four-team tournament at the end of the regular season, that would only add one game to the season. Given that there is currently a 3-4 week gap between conference championship games and the BCS championship, that extra game can be added without pushing the season out any further. Having the 4 conference champions play in a tournament is basically just one way of choosing the 4-team playoff that we already have starting in two years.

I'm not necessarily advocating for that format, but I think that is what they would attempt to do if they ever got four 16-team "super" conferences.

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009

SEC is the toughest for a reason though. Ain't no reason to shy away from good football for fear of a harder path. That is the same thinking that almost made the SECCG not happen in the first place. So we add another tough game, that just means that our level of play goes up to keep us from stagnation. Stagnant = bad just ask the Big10+/-2. That kinda makes me mad to see that conference see that expansion is coming towards them fast so they take a card out of the deck to make sure the SEC won't be the one to act the fastest.

Adding teams doesn't make you the best, but adding teams that will lift your conference will increase the SEC's 'Best' tag line.

DCETP

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2012

I like the idea of adding schools with better basketball programs. We probably don't need to add more tough football teams. I've been thinking that adding some of these teams might change the SEC as I know and love it, which is to say that not everyone besides Vandy will be good. But, come to think of it, a lot of the teams that USED to be good (Arky, Auburn, UT) now aren't any better than an ACC team. Change is hard to embrace sometimes, but sometimes we have to embrace it, or else be left behind.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Oklahoma would add difficulty to the schedule while adding little else. Few TV sets and even fewer recruits would be a poor business decision.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

What happened to other acc football schools voting with Maryland & FSU?

VT is tied to Va, won't go anywhere without them, thus voted party line.

BC is too new to ACC & their football program is a mess, else they probably vote with Maryland & FSU.

Miami's athletic dept is in a financial mess, can't afford to move, else they would've voted with Maryland & FSU.

clemson is inexplicably happy being tobacco road's cabana boy, backstabbing FSU and Maryland in the back by leading them to believe they would vote against raising exit fee, then getting in line and instead voting how their UNC daddy told them to, supposedly FSU very upset with clemson, had a big 12 deal all but worked out.

no one knows why GT went with the anti-football vote.

The ACC is UNC, Duke, Wake, NCSU (in that order) and then everyone else. Recent expansions had started to rock the pecking order in the conference, recent events are a result of Tobacco Road reasserting itself as the "powers that be" in the ACC.

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005

Here is an aggressive idea. Why not take Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake, VT , and UVA? That would move the SEC to 20, dissolve the ACC, get a great basketball offering, and make an SEC Network an assumed instant success.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Boise St thinking about going back to the MWC:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ztecs-byu-cougars-talk-mwc-return-sources-say

Funny how they announce that the small schools would be able to participate in the playoff and now Boise wants to return to the MWC and play the same schedule. Puke.....
Boise St. will go back to Boise Stating their schedule if possible. They now know they only need to finish atop schools from the little five in the standings to get in. I guess losing a conference game at home against the modest step up in competition (and inability to camouflage themselves) scared them enough to realize that in the Big East they'd go back to football irrelevancy.

By the way, for those of you counting, after they moved to the MWC, they lost two home games. They could no longer camouflage themselves, and this is contrasted to going undefeated in conference at home from 1999-2010. They'd look downright mediocre in the Big East, even if most teams have hit the road. Also, for the record, TCU has four conference losses this year, and Utah has six conference losses. Yes, it is and always has been about playing real competition. It's infinitely easier to game-plan for a couple real games a year instead of managing a tough conference schedule.
/rant

Here is an aggressive idea. Why not take Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake, VT , and UVA? That would move the SEC to 20, dissolve the ACC, get a great basketball offering, and make an SEC Network an assumed instant success.
Diminishing returns. After one program in a state, you get less and less new sets with each addition in-state. That's one reason why Miss. State is practically worthless to the SEC. Wake Forest and Duke just don't support football at all and that's a concern as well.

Last edited:

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA

I think the SEC's ultimate goal at this point is a presence in the states of Virginia and North Carolina. Any flagship school (one school per state) will do nicely. But short term I expect the SEC to hold its cards close until the situation shakes out. Big Ten is looking like it'll be the wild card that brings the next round of chaos. Some folks think the Big Ten covets schools in the northeast. I don't. I think they digest Maryland and Rutgers, then pursue flagship institutions in the states of Virginia and North Carolina... The same states the SEC wants.

Accordingly, we're likely to see a de facto Big Ten and SEC collaborative effort. Big Ten plays the heavy, going strong for UVA and UNC. FSU & Clemson panic and jump to the Big 12. With FSU and Clemson kicking loose the foundations of the ACC, UVA and UNC kiss their ACC sisters goodbye and marry the Big Ten... But (for in-state political purposes) only after having some level of confidence that VT and NCSU will be well-placed. Hello SEC.

We can quibble over whether the SEC would be better off with UNC than NCSU... But in the end, the desired outcome is media footprint via flagship institutions.

Litigation and changed conditions will mitigate the $50M buyout nonsense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Official NEW Expansion Thread: Maryland reportedly going to B1G

It's obvious the ACC and Big East are dead. Whether we like FSU, UNC, Ga Tech, Clemson, Duke, UVA, or Va Tech or not, we better get ready. The SEC will have to get a few of them eventually. They are there for the taking and all that is really available for the SEC.

Radio host on Yahoo Sports Radio said the Big 10 schools will go from $20 million in revenue to $35 million after the DC and NJ tv markets. Talk about a nice little chunk of change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

I would think the season would end in mid-January. It wouldn't be a 64-team tournament. If each conference had a four-team tournament at the end of the regular season, that would only add one game to the season. Given that there is currently a 3-4 week gap between conference championship games and the BCS championship, that extra game can be added without pushing the season out any further. Having the 4 conference champions play in a tournament is basically just one way of choosing the 4-team playoff that we already have starting in two years.

I'm not necessarily advocating for that format, but I think that is what they would attempt to do if they ever got four 16-team "super" conferences.
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Now the word is (I read it on the internet, so it has to be true) that BYU, Boise State and San Diego State are trying to get back into the Mountain West Conference. Boise and SDSU were going to the Big East for football and I guess bYU has decided being a football independant isn't all its cracked up to be.

Smart move on the parts of them if they do this. The Big East won't be BCS level in the new playoff format, so there is nothing to be gained there. Might as well stay in a league with regional and historical rivals as well as get into a decent league for your other sports. I think Boise was having trouble finding a home for its Olympic sports.

The best team from the five "minor" FBS leagues gets an automatic spot in the new BCS, so staying put is a much better option.

Yes, I know it won't be called BCS anymore, but I'll probably still be calling it that like I call the early SEC game the JP game.

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005

Diminishing returns. After one program in a state, you get less and less new sets with each addition in-state. That's one reason why Miss. State is practically worthless to the SEC. Wake Forest and Duke just don't support football at all and that's a concern as well.
Neither Virginia nor NC really support football. But this move will leave the entire states' basketball viewership intact. So not only will there be fall programming but spring programming as well. If one designs the championship games for both sports correctly, then the other zoned/divisions which aren't traditionally strong may also keep interest during a conference playoff.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

4 super conferences with 16 teams each, the remaining 56 teams are in a new subdivision of D-1 programs.

9jack9

Scout Team
Jan 14, 2007
United States

For a complete overhaul, 4 super-conferences with 32 teams each, 4 divisions of 8 teams. Then tier the divisions in England's Football League. You have to play the other 7 teams in your division, then 3 required games vs other teams at your level of play. Then the 2 games can be against teams from other levels, to preserve traditional rivalries in years when teams are at different levels. National Championship decided among the 32 top programs in the country. Lower levels have their own championships.

At the end of the season, the top and bottom two teams from each level are promoted or relegated. This way, every school finds their natural level of competition.

You could also add lower levels and work the FCS teams into the mix.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Neither Virginia nor NC really support football. But this move will leave the entire states' basketball viewership intact. So not only will there be fall programming but spring programming as well. If one designs the championship games for both sports correctly, then the other zoned/divisions which aren't traditionally strong may also keep interest during a conference playoff.
First off, let's start with VT. A lot of people see this as the football power addition. They have 65K in attendance and that is in the midst of a run of bowl games for a very long time. North Carolina has 56K in attendance, and that's with all the issues they have going on, and the fact that they have never been very good in football. The truth is the state supports football quite well all things considered. North Carolina and NC State all have solid attendance numbers and even Eastern Carolina has 50K in attendance, which is better than Boise St., Miami, and Georgia Tech. Virginia comes in at 47K, which isn't really all that impressive. However, they have bottomed out in football, those numbers would only go up in the SEC. Duke has 24K and Wake has 31K. That's a whole other level.

Basketball matters, but why not get a basketball school that supports football well to? North Carolina fits that, and Missouri did as well. I'm not worried about just adding football powers, but having a tiny stadiums in the SEC is basically throwing money down the drain. I think VT is the other extreme though, a one trick pony and I'm not all that impressed with their one trick.

freefall

1st Team
Apr 30, 2009
Leesburg, VA

I've advocated for Virginia and North Carolina, largely because they (like the proposed Big 10 additions) would only help and not hurt.
IMO, there are only two possible destinations for UNCheat and UVA, and they are the ACC and the B1G. I don't disagree with your thinking, but I don't see it happening.

And as an aside, after the awesome display of football incompetence put on by VT this year, you might reconsider whether adding us would really be a threat to anyone not named Kentucky. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.