Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame lafella's Avatar

Re: next round of expansion already getting underway

ESPN says Maryland to Big 10 a go. Regents ok the move. Rutgers expected to follow announcing Tuesday.
    Last edited by lafella; November 19th, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
    Hey Daddy why doesn't Auburn have a number beside their name? 5 year old son during the iron bowl.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Coach K calling it:

RT @travis_sawchik: Coach K on radio: "I think the ACC is vulnerable right now." And in large part because of NC schools' football product!
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

BamaNation All-American

The ACC revolves around UNC the same way that the Big-12 revolves around Texas. The conference, as it is now, basically exists to give the NC schools someone to play.

I wouldn't be surprised if the B1G didn't informally reach out to UNC and Duke as well, but both declined due to not wanting to give up the power they have now.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

I don't think North Carolina is a consideration with their probationary issues. I say VT and Oklahoma.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer14 View Post
    Does the season end in April then? You can't play two games a day or back-to back days in football like you can in basketball. A 64-team post-season playoff + 12 game regular season? That's insane. Also "64" and "elite" do not belong together in this context. At that point you are on the edge of including losing programs. Just sayin.
    I would think the season would end in mid-January. It wouldn't be a 64-team tournament. If each conference had a four-team tournament at the end of the regular season, that would only add one game to the season. Given that there is currently a 3-4 week gap between conference championship games and the BCS championship, that extra game can be added without pushing the season out any further. Having the 4 conference champions play in a tournament is basically just one way of choosing the 4-team playoff that we already have starting in two years.

I'm not necessarily advocating for that format, but I think that is what they would attempt to do if they ever got four 16-team "super" conferences.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    I don't think North Carolina is a consideration with their probationary issues. I say VT and Oklahoma.
    The last thing the toughest conference needs is Oklahoma.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

SEC is the toughest for a reason though. Ain't no reason to shy away from good football for fear of a harder path. That is the same thinking that almost made the SECCG not happen in the first place. So we add another tough game, that just means that our level of play goes up to keep us from stagnation. Stagnant = bad just ask the Big10+/-2. That kinda makes me mad to see that conference see that expansion is coming towards them fast so they take a card out of the deck to make sure the SEC won't be the one to act the fastest.

Adding teams doesn't make you the best, but adding teams that will lift your conference will increase the SEC's 'Best' tag line.

I like the idea of adding schools with better basketball programs. We probably don't need to add more tough football teams. I've been thinking that adding some of these teams might change the SEC as I know and love it, which is to say that not everyone besides Vandy will be good. But, come to think of it, a lot of the teams that USED to be good (Arky, Auburn, UT) now aren't any better than an ACC team. Change is hard to embrace sometimes, but sometimes we have to embrace it, or else be left behind.
    Discipline.
    Commitment.
    Effort.
    Toughness.
    Pride.
    (http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20100201/news/100209986)

BamaNation All-American

Oklahoma would add difficulty to the schedule while adding little else. Few TV sets and even fewer recruits would be a poor business decision.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Boise St thinking about going back to the MWC:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...rn-sources-say

Funny how they announce that the small schools would be able to participate in the playoff and now Boise wants to return to the MWC and play the same schedule. Puke.....
    If God wanted me to be humble, he would have sent me to Auburn.

BamaNation All-SEC

What happened to other acc football schools voting with Maryland & FSU?

VT is tied to Va, won't go anywhere without them, thus voted party line.

BC is too new to ACC & their football program is a mess, else they probably vote with Maryland & FSU.

Miami's athletic dept is in a financial mess, can't afford to move, else they would've voted with Maryland & FSU.

clemson is inexplicably happy being tobacco road's cabana boy, backstabbing FSU and Maryland in the back by leading them to believe they would vote against raising exit fee, then getting in line and instead voting how their UNC daddy told them to, supposedly FSU very upset with clemson, had a big 12 deal all but worked out.

no one knows why GT went with the anti-football vote.

The ACC is UNC, Duke, Wake, NCSU (in that order) and then everyone else. Recent expansions had started to rock the pecking order in the conference, recent events are a result of Tobacco Road reasserting itself as the "powers that be" in the ACC.

BamaNation All-SEC RhodeIslandRed's Avatar

Here is an aggressive idea. Why not take Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake, VT , and UVA? That would move the SEC to 20, dissolve the ACC, get a great basketball offering, and make an SEC Network an assumed instant success.

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by J4Bama View Post
    Boise St thinking about going back to the MWC:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...rn-sources-say

Funny how they announce that the small schools would be able to participate in the playoff and now Boise wants to return to the MWC and play the same schedule. Puke.....
    Boise St. will go back to Boise Stating their schedule if possible. They now know they only need to finish atop schools from the little five in the standings to get in. I guess losing a conference game at home against the modest step up in competition (and inability to camouflage themselves) scared them enough to realize that in the Big East they'd go back to football irrelevancy.

By the way, for those of you counting, after they moved to the MWC, they lost two home games. They could no longer camouflage themselves, and this is contrasted to going undefeated in conference at home from 1999-2010. They'd look downright mediocre in the Big East, even if most teams have hit the road. Also, for the record, TCU has four conference losses this year, and Utah has six conference losses. Yes, it is and always has been about playing real competition. It's infinitely easier to game-plan for a couple real games a year instead of managing a tough conference schedule.
    /rant

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeIslandRed View Post
    Here is an aggressive idea. Why not take Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake, VT , and UVA? That would move the SEC to 20, dissolve the ACC, get a great basketball offering, and make an SEC Network an assumed instant success.
    Diminishing returns. After one program in a state, you get less and less new sets with each addition in-state. That's one reason why Miss. State is practically worthless to the SEC. Wake Forest and Duke just don't support football at all and that's a concern as well.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; November 19th, 2012 at 10:07 PM.