Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Re: Official NEW Expansion Thread: Maryland reportedly going to B1G

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Maryland is gone. FSU has flirted with the Big 12 and voted with Maryland to not raise exit fees. Might as well say they are gone, too. Notre Dame will try to save face as best as it can and call Delaney back to see the possibility of joining the Big 10. Not sure who would be a quality addition for the ACC.
    Where would FSU go? Unless they are going to somehow piggyback with Notre Dame to the Big 10 what are their options? The SEC doesn't need them and the Big 12 doesn't want them (but does want Notre Dame). I think the ACC is more stable than people realize, because the schools the Big 10 or SEC would want are not the ones that actually want to leave.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Where would FSU go? Unless they are going to somehow piggyback with Notre Dame to the Big 10 what are their options? The SEC doesn't need them and the Big 12 doesn't want them (but does want Notre Dame). I think the ACC is more stable than people realize, because the schools the Big 10 or SEC would want are not the ones that actually want to leave.
    Did anyone know that Maryland was talking to the Big 10 before Saturday? Who is to say that PTB at these schools aren't talking behind the closed doors behind the closed doors?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Did anyone know that Maryland was talking to the Big 10 before Saturday? Who is to say that PTB at these schools aren't talking behind the closed doors behind the closed doors?
    This has a pretty simple explanation. FSU wanted to leave the ACC before the 50 million dollar exit fee was finalized. Their interest in the Big 12 was known. The quote I saw from a Big 12 president was that they were happy at 10 (but they would consider Notre Dame). Basically, if FSU could have left, they already would have. They were helpless and could do no more than vote against the higher exit fee. They couldn't have wanted to waste 30 million dollars... I could have my timeline off a bit, but FSU voting against it pretty much sums up the situation. They wanted out but didn't have a place to go. Maryland didn't either at that time, because the SEC ended up going in another direction. It wasn't until the Notre Dame deal with the ACC that the Big 10 started looking again (I said all along that they were waiting on Notre Dame and clearly they had been).

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I really only see FSU getting an invite to the Big 12 if the non-power schools in that conference demand a conference championship game. They've been sold a phony bill of goods by OU/Texas who have little need for a championship - it's just one more game they can lose late and their name can't recover them - but Oklahoma State didn't make the title last year ultimately because they didn't get a shot at one more quality win. Kansas State will have a similar argument possibly if they beat Texas to end the season.

I am expecting that the desire to stay at 10 within that conference isn't as unanimous as the UT-Austin mouthpiece, Orangebloods.com, makes it out. If Kansas State is sitting at one loss at the end of the year, I think the "plebeians" of that conference are going to start crowing for 2 more teams and a conference championship. In that case, I think FSU gets their exit option from the ACC.

BamaNation Third Team

Official NEW Expansion Thread: Maryland reportedly going to B1G

Never ever trust the folks in Austin, 2nd we need the Big Least to survive, so we can schedule their football teams for our strength of schedule equation in the playoffs. We won't get any points scheduling directional state ( I know I'm selfish with my Tide!).
    Roll Tide Roll!

BamaNation Second Team

Maryland and Rutgers are expected to be placed into the Leaders Division. Illinois then would shift from the Leaders to the Legends Division. Apparently, in the Big Ten, if you lose eight straight games and go winless in the conference, you immediately qualify for legend status.

BamaNation Scout Team

Re: next round of expansion already getting underway

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I think VT is the other extreme though, a one trick pony and I'm not all that impressed with their one trick.
    UVa grad here.

I think most of our alumni would prefer to stay in a southern conference. UVa remains a deeply conservative school and I think there's a very real reluctance to tie our fate to a bunch of midwestern universities. The logistics are awful, the travel would be a nightmare, and we'd be playing against teams we don't give a damn about. We're an academic school and I don't think we'd ever seriously compete in SEC but I'd rather that then spend my years watching Ohio State pummel us. Besides, we could preserve our baseball team if we go south.

If I had a pick, Tech would wander off to to the Big 12 and get back to burning couches with West Virginia. Then we could join the SEC with UNC.

BamaNation All-American silentsam74's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

In the midst of another round of college conference realignment, Virginia Tech Hokies athletic director Jim Weaver has revealed there could be interest in Blacksburg in joining the SEC some time in the future, which stands in contrast to his repeated denials in the past. Weaver's comments were first reported by Fox Sports Radio's Kyle Bailey via his Twitter account late Tuesday.
    http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...ce-realignment
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    --Thucydides

It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience. -- Gaius Julius Ceasar

A little more information on the Hokie story. This guy, Kyle Bailey, who hosts a show on Super Sports 101.7 out of Virginia had this to say.

https://twitter.com/TheClubhouseKB/s...69601989799936

If you keep reading, one of his follow up replies states this:

No, I'm saying that there's no begging needed. Sounds as if there's a standing offer(from the SEC)

I have asked him for where he is getting that information, I will let you know when/if he responds.
    You will suffer through one of two things in life, either the pain of discipline or the pain of disappointment - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rhm54 View Post
    A little more information on the Hokie story. This guy, Kyle Bailey, who hosts a show on Super Sports 101.7 out of Virginia had this to say.

https://twitter.com/TheClubhouseKB/s...69601989799936

If you keep reading, one of his follow up replies states this:

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    I have asked him for where he is getting that information, I will let you know when/if he responds.
    I would have loved it had it been VTech instead of Missouri that had joined in the last round of conference realignment..It just makes more sense too me..They would be a solid addition to the SEC..

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

If they have to say they're interested, we're probably not. Just sayin

BamaNation Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    If they have to say they're interested, we're probably not. Just sayin
    They need you more than you need them.