Official NEW Expansion Thread: Ga. Tech to B1G?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Re: next round of expansion already getting underway

I really don't think either are viable or acceptable.

Then you want UNC and UVa.

Question, I realize y'all have club Lacrosse. Is there any interest in fielding a varsity team? Neither UNC or UVa is going to give up Lacrosse, or Soccer for that matter.

crimsoncamaro

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 9, 2010
Re: Official NEW Expansion Thread: Maryland reportedly going to B1G

been searching expansion talk and reading acc about to add louisville, conn, and cincinnatti. not official, just rumor for now.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I would be against adding Duke. They would kill everyone (except Kentucky) in basketball and add zero in football.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

I would be against adding Duke. They would kill everyone (except Kentucky) in basketball and add zero in football.
Does the conference really need another football powerhouse?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Heard up here that UVA and UNC want the Big 10...NC State, Va Tech and Clemson are supposedly talking to the SEC. I know that Clemson doesn't add any more tv market, but that's what's floating around in the Carolinas.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Heard up here that UVA and UNC want the Big 10...NC State, Va Tech and Clemson are supposedly talking to the SEC. I know that Clemson doesn't add any more tv market, but that's what's floating around in the Carolinas.
Sadly, knowing Slive this sounds about right... and incredibly stupid. Only he would help the Big 10 get the top two targets. He's a blundering fool. He should, absolutely back off now if this is how things look. It's not like Virginia Tech and NC State have a lot of suitors they want to pay 50 million to leave for. All he's doing is helping the Big 10 try to lure Virginia and North Carolina.

Moron...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Does the conference really need another football powerhouse?
Based on what we have seen on the field the last couple of years it doesnt matter which teams we take we wont be getting a football powerhouse.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

But there is also a "rumor" that UNC and UVA have met with B1G.

Next Big Ten expansion? Would you believe ... North Carolina?
If true, then we can certainly say Notre Dame to the Big Ten will never happen. Although, I guess they'd go beyond 16 teams someday.

I'm with Krazy3. I'd rather have UNC and Virginia, although I think NC State is a better addition than Virginia Tech if we must settle. But adding any team in a state in which the SEC already has a footprint is foolish.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I'm with Krazy3. I'd rather have UNC and Virginia, although I think NC State is a better addition than Virginia Tech if we must settle. But adding any team in a state in which the SEC already has a footprint is foolish.
Here's what I find most annoying about the approach (and it does add up that Slive is going after them, as someone from VT made it sound like it's an open offer). The SEC can't start their network until 2014. We won't really know how a playoff will be done for a little while, and finally, the SEC only gets one more chance to re-open negotiations on their TV deals. If they go after VT hard enough to topple the ACC soon, they are doing nothing but pushing the big fish (NC) into the Big 10's waiting arms, and hoping that this will all work to the benefit of a network that doesn't even exist yet. The Big 10 has the network and their numbers tell them the obvious, that Virginia and NC are the ones to go after first in those states.

The SEC has no business flirting with any program not named North Carolina or Notre Dame right now. This is as annoying as when Slive blew up the A&M deal the first time by flirting with Oklahoma. If it is inevitable that the Big 10 is going to get NC, then the SEC doesn't have to do anything at all. They can just wait and send VT/NC State and invite when it's convenient. What is the ACC going to do, make the exit fee 100 million?

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Sadly, knowing Slive this sounds about right... and incredibly stupid. Only he would help the Big 10 get the top two targets. He's a blundering fool. He should, absolutely back off now if this is how things look. It's not like Virginia Tech and NC State have a lot of suitors they want to pay 50 million to leave for. All he's doing is helping the Big 10 try to lure Virginia and North Carolina.

Moron...
Krazy, what is your opinion? Given how difficult this is getting do you think the SEC should go ahead push its membership from 14 to 20 and make a basketball play? Scheduling would be difficult in football but how do you take a UNC, UVA and not take Duke. To me there is too much basketball value being left on the table here. Whatever value you lose incrementally with each expansion based on football can you make up the difference in basketball. It would seem to make more sense to make a play for VT, UVA, UNC, NCST, Duke, and Clemson. It sounds more natural for those schools to affiliate with brethren located below the Mason-Dixon line rather a bunch Midwestern elitists. Doing so would instantly make the SEC arguably the most competitive conference in football and basketball and likely baseball too. Wake Forest, GA Tech, FSU, and Miami along with WVa go to the Big 12. Let the Big 10 go after Boston College and Syracuse and UConn whoever else is left in the Northeast. Seems pretty simple when you look at this way. Politically speaking, it would seem easier to get such a deal done to the SEC rather the Big 10 trying to cherrypick from the ACC.

4 Divisions with 5 teams. Play 3 teams in your division, play 2 teams (home and away) from each of the other 3 divisions on a 9 game conference schedule. In 3 years you would have played everyone in a 20 team conference! If we went to 24 teams you could still play every team every 3 years which would allow us to take GA Tech, FSU, Wake, and Miami. Everybody has home if you go to 24 and you eliminate the scheduling issues for UGA, USC, and UF since their rivalry games then have conference implications.

Personally, I believe that we have maxed out, for now, all the revenue potential of expansion based on football. It would seem further expansion should be based on maximizing revenue and market reach to support a conference network. If that is the goal, then you have to look at the other sports as revenue drivers as what you can sell ad space around.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Eers Authority:

ACC on the Brink

The Big 10 conference has received applications for membership from UVA, UNC, and Georgia Tech while FSU, Clemson, UNC, NC State and Virginia Tech have contacted the SEC about potential membership.

Despite public statements to the contrary the Big 12 conference has been in close contact with FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Miami about joining the Big 12.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Some say 4 - 20 team conferences.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

WOW..Not looking good for the ACC..What's happened to the ACC..I've always thought they would survive all these mass expansions..Is it just weak leadership within the ACC..???
I think Coach K said it correctly last week when he talked about how vulnerable the ACC is and he stated that it was part of the "Football product" of the Carolina schools.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.