Official NEW Expansion Thread: Ga. Tech to B1G?

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Re: next round of expansion already getting underway

I think that one of the reasons Bama is ranked #2 and Georgia and Florida are #3 and #4 is because of the strength of schedule of playing SEC teams. WKU and WCU didn't hurt too bad because of having to play the SEC schedule.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I think a 16 team conference can consider dividing into 4 divisions. A team would play everyone in its division as well as everyone in another division. The alternate division would rotate every other year. There will only need to be one championship game.
That is only 7 conference games/year. I like the idea, but 14/16 team conferences need to schedule 9 games within conference/yr, IMO.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

That is only 7 conference games/year. I like the idea, but 14/16 team conferences need to schedule 9 games within conference/yr, IMO.
I think the only way a team in the playoff scenario can get a high ranking is by playing outside powers. This would take care of that problem. I eventually see a "RPI" system set up for football like basketball.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

So they didn't want Missouri but would take Rutgers or Maryland? Doesn't make any sense.
its called TV market....with the Big10 network, they have to reach cable subscribers to add value....both those hit larger markets in the northeast region.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Andy Katz is tweeting that he has talked to Prominent Alumni at Maryland and they think that Maryland moves to the Big 10 this morning at their meeting.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I think the only way a team in the playoff scenario can get a high ranking is by playing outside powers. This would take care of that problem. I eventually see a "RPI" system set up for football like basketball.
Never have understood RPI. The way I understand it the factors are as follows opponent's RPI, SOS, and record. Does that really solve anything?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Never have understood RPI. The way I understand it the factors are as follows opponent's RPI, SOS, and record. Does that really solve anything?
The bottom line is you have to beat a team that is "powerful" or hope that one of your cupcakes can beat a good team.

I have a link on the Basketball page under out current RPI Rating.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The bottom line is you have to beat a team that is "powerful" or hope that one of your cupcakes can beat a good team.

I have a link on the Basketball page under out current RPI Rating.
I'll go look at the link and see if it helps me any.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Jeff Ermann
@insidemdsports
A source with knowledge of the situation tells InsideMDsports.com #Maryland has decided to move to the #BigTen. maryland.247sports.com/Board/67/-MAJO…

8:04 AM - 19 Nov 12 · web
159 RETWEETS 5 FAVORITES

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I don't think the SEC wants 16 teams but I could be wrong. I anticipate that the ACC will move on UCONN and Louisville though.

rhm54

1st Team
Nov 30, 2006

Mark it down: Va Tech and NC State will be in the SEC when all is said and done.
I will go on record with this stance as well. I will go as far to say that once Florida State jumps ship, the SEC will add Va Tech and NC State.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett

Here's what they could do:

Add VT and Clemson (my preference).

Make 4 divisions with 4 teams each.

Each division plays the entirety of another division each year and then rotates, plus one rotating team each from the other divisions. That's 9 games.

For example:
SEC North - Mizzou, Kentucky, Virginia Tech, Tennessee
SEC South - Mississippi State, Bama, AU, UF
SEC East - Clemson, UGA, South Carolina, Vandy
SEC West - Arkansas, TAMU, LSU, Ole Miss

You could probably tweak the divisions so you keep rivalries, but that's how I'd like to see it work.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

I am almost willing to bet that UM takes the ACC to court if they try to enforce the 50 million payout to leave. This is insanity...

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com

Mike Slive wants to expand the footprint into North Carolina and it makes sense: a rapidly growing state with lots of TV sets, reasonable geographic fit, a large corporate presence and lots of corporate dollars to add to the SEC money machine, etc. NC State would seem most likely. I assume UNC and Duke stick together and maintain their tradition in the ACC unless it totally blows up. Wake Forest has a tiny enrollment/alumni base and its academics probably prestigious enough to justify adding a small, private school.

If NC State ever pulled the trigger, then who do you add to go along with them? Politics in Virginia could keep UVa and VA Tech together, and they'd be be an attractive pair if they were willing to come together. It's hard to see West Virginia moving again. Clemson, Florida State, (heaven forbid) Miami, and Georgia Tech really don't add anything to the footprint (though Clemson and FSU could be seen as enhancing the value of the football product). If none of those options play out, it leaves you looking west again, which I don't really think Slive wants to do.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.