Official NEW Expansion Thread: Ga. Tech to B1G?

gunner07tx

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 29, 2011
maryland and rutgers could announce as early as next week they will be newest members of the big 10 according to mike forde acc could be ripe for picking. I say lets go to 16 and then say we are done with it

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Re: next round of expansion already getting underway

I thought the ACC teams just agreed that to leave the conference then they have to pay a
50 million dollar exit fee.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I thought the ACC teams just agreed that to leave the conference then they have to pay a
50 million dollar exit fee.
I also thought they'd put in a prohibitive exit fee. Rutgers to the B1G? I think the facade is slipping...

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

So they didn't want Missouri but would take Rutgers or Maryland? Doesn't make any sense.

gunner07tx

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 29, 2011

i know maryland voted no on the exit fee the time frame may not have kicked in yet could be the reason their not waiting till the off season

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Markets. Rutgers = NYC, Maryland = D.C.

Subscription fees for the Big Ten Network in those big media areas are what the Big Ten is seeking with this move, IMO. Competitively though, it makes a rapidly slipping conference even more mediocre.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

We are headed to 16 team super conferences, whether we like it or not. I think geographic balance and expanding our TV market footprint would almost have to mean that we take two schools from the states of North Carolina and/or Virginia eventually.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

We are headed to 16 team super conferences, whether we like it or not. I think geographic balance and expanding our TV market footprint would almost have to mean that we take two schools from the states of North Carolina and/or Virginia eventually.
We have a huge hunk of Texas watching us now...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
next round of expansion already getting underway

I'll bet FSU bails now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

If we do to 16 teams, IMHO, it will almost surely force us into a 9 or 10 game conference schedule.
It's pretty much inevitable that we will go to a 9 game conference schedule...
A 16 game schedule might open it up even further.
On the plus side the expansion would probably eliminate games against teams like Western Carolina, and Alabama A&M.
Forcing everyone into a little tougher schedule.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999

I'm sick of expansion. This last expansion has done us no good.
So long as everyone does it, it's a net push.

What can't happen is the Big Ten and SEC go to 16 teams but the Big 12 and PAC-12 stay at 12. Very unfair advantage to them if it happens that way.

rhm54

1st Team
Nov 30, 2006

Not all agreed, including FSU.
2 voted against it, but that really doesn't matter since the majority voted for it. The measure passed and is binding to all member institutions. I just don't see anyone bolting casually from the ACC.

uafootball92

1st Team
Sep 21, 2005
St. Charles, Missouri
So long as everyone does it, it's a net push.

What can't happen is the Big Ten and SEC go to 16 teams but the Big 12 and PAC-12 stay at 12. Very unfair advantage to them if it happens that way.
I disagree. Look at the SEC championship game. When it came in we thought that would be a huge disadvantage, but everyone has followed suit and it has changed the face of college football. 16 team conference may make for harder games, but if you're a recruit, where are you headed? Big boy football

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.

I disagree. Look at the SEC championship game. When it came in we thought that would be a huge disadvantage, but everyone has followed suit and it has changed the face of college football. 16 team conference may make for harder games, but if you're a recruit, where are you headed? Big boy football
The Key point is if everyone follows suit. Notre Dame and the Big 12 don't have to play in a Conference Championship game.

I think that gives them an unfair advantage already.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.