Official NEW Expansion Thread: Ga. Tech to B1G?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
And the Big East prepares for possibly the last blow...

Link
I thought about making a topic but wasn't sure it's important enough. It is in theory good news though since instead of 5 nothing conferences there would be 4. Eventually I'd hope some of these college football programs would see they are unwanted and drop football or at least go down to the level they belong at.

EHSWildkats

Dec 5, 2012
Off topic, but can't we stop using the "B1G" logo for the Big 10 now that there are 12 teams in the league. :conf2:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If we are going to stop using their new adopted logo, let's also stop using their official name since they don't have 10 teams.
Let's also quit with the whole "leaders" and "legends" division names. Not only are they stupid, they are also not factual. The Big Ten has neither led, nor been legendary.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Yeah, you're right. I don't know what I was thinking, too much Bama on the brain.
Just joking around...
they definitly didnt want to bring in anyone tough, and it was solely to get the cable market in the NYC and DC areas...

the big10 fans i work with were very underwhelmed with the new additions...most of them arent really fans of their conference commishioner.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I thought about making a topic but wasn't sure it's important enough. It is in theory good news though since instead of 5 nothing conferences there would be 4. Eventually I'd hope some of these college football programs would see they are unwanted and drop football or at least go down to the level they belong at.
The football teams left behind would still have their own conference, it would just likely have a new name. So there will still be five "nothing" conferences that exist just to annoy you.

I was going to bring this up but didn't feel like digging for this old thread. I do think its a good discussion, however. They had taken in Boise State and San Diego State as football only members. Will they still join whatever the new group is called or will they go back to the MWC?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Opinions, let me rephrase, not an SEC college city, it is a professional sports city like Nashville, New Orleans, and Miami.
the Braves, Falcons and Hawks front office would like this to be the case, but it's simply not true. In fact I'm sure the owners of the Flames and the Thrashers would tell you that its so far from the truth its borderline delusional.

Atlanta is not a pro-sports city.

The falcons are 11-2, first place in their division, clinched a play-off birth and about locked down home field advantage and very few people actually care. They rarely sell out games and when they do it often because opposing team fans buy up the extras. It's better this year because of the record but this city will dump the Birds as soon and as quickly as some are jumping on the bandwagon now.

Braves - most people I know only go to braves games when given free tickets. Hell I can get free tickets any time I want them and never bother.

Hawks. to say no one cares is an understatement

We've had two fairly well managed pro hockey teams in this town and both left due to fan apathy

Atlanta's issue is that it is a Transient city. I've lived here (or in Alabama for school) since the mid 80's and can count on one hand the number of adults I know who were born here. Because most everyone is here from somewhere else they come here with loyalties to other teams. Pro and college. In my neighborhood I have an LSU grad next door on one side, UT on the other, Clemson/VT couple across the street, A florida grad next to them and a UGA and GT fan next. We have a few big 12 fans, some big 10, etc.

I would say this town is 60% SEC, 25% ACC and the other 15% a mix of everything else.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The football teams left behind would still have their own conference, it would just likely have a new name. So there will still be five "nothing" conferences that exist just to annoy you.

I was going to bring this up but didn't feel like digging for this old thread. I do think its a good discussion, however. They had taken in Boise State and San Diego State as football only members. Will they still join whatever the new group is called or will they go back to the MWC?
San Diego State and Boise State were already talking about going back to the MWC. I don't think it's likely they reform the Big East, I think it's more likely they depart to other conferences. If the Big East doesn't exist, it would have 0 value and nothing holding it together really. This of course comes down to if they dissolve it or not, but the fact that at the moment there are only what, 3? actual football teams current in the Big East says about everything. I find it more likely they'll just find a new home, and the would be new programs just go back to the conferences they left.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
the Braves, Falcons and Hawks front office would like this to be the case, but it's simply not true. In fact I'm sure the owners of the Flames and the Thrashers would tell you that its so far from the truth its borderline delusional.

Atlanta is not a pro-sports city.

The falcons are 11-2, first place in their division, clinched a play-off birth and about locked down home field advantage and very few people actually care. They rarely sell out games and when they do it often because opposing team fans buy up the extras. It's better this year because of the record but this city will dump the Birds as soon and as quickly as some are jumping on the bandwagon now.

Braves - most people I know only go to braves games when given free tickets. Hell I can get free tickets any time I want them and never bother.

Hawks. to say no one cares is an understatement

We've had two fairly well managed pro hockey teams in this town and both left due to fan apathy

Atlanta's issue is that it is a Transient city. I've lived here (or in Alabama for school) since the mid 80's and can count on one hand the number of adults I know who were born here. Because most everyone is here from somewhere else they come here with loyalties to other teams. Pro and college. In my neighborhood I have an LSU grad next door on one side, UT on the other, Clemson/VT couple across the street, A florida grad next to them and a UGA and GT fan next. We have a few big 12 fans, some big 10, etc.

I would say this town is 60% SEC, 25% ACC and the other 15% a mix of everything else.
100% correct. a few years ago the Falcons hosted the Packers in a playof game and there were more Packers fans in the Georgia Dome than Falcons fans. it was pathetic.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-staying-mountain-west-conference-sources-say

Not sure if its really considered realignment if someone stays where they are, but Boise has decided not to go to the Big East. But they still have to pay a $10,000,000 exit fee even though they never actually entered. I wouldn't be surprised to see fellow newcomer San Diego State do the same.

Now the Big East has lost their one remaining marquee football program before they even played a game. Their basketball core is gone and they are left with a bunch of teams that left C-USA. Those teams are screwed because their old league has already filled their void.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-staying-mountain-west-conference-sources-say

Not sure if its really considered realignment if someone stays where they are, but Boise has decided not to go to the Big East. But they still have to pay a $10,000,000 exit fee even though they never actually entered. I wouldn't be surprised to see fellow newcomer San Diego State do the same.

Now the Big East has lost their one remaining marquee football program before they even played a game. Their basketball core is gone and they are left with a bunch of teams that left C-USA. Those teams are screwed because their old league has already filled their void.
Just heard on the radio that San Diego State has a clause in its contract with the Big East that states it can leave the conference without paying an exit fee if there is no other team west of the Rockies.

Also, the Navy AD has indicated Navy will see the landscape of the Big East in 2015 before deciding its future with the conference.

chalkpit

Suspended
May 31, 2012
My 2 cents worth. The SEC does not need to cheapen its image by adding more schools just for the sake of additional tv markets and keeping up with the jones. Look at the sec quality of football this past season compared to other conferences that have expanded for the dollar. Even vandy is good now. The big(s) whatever are a joke and watered down. Adding the teams they have will not make them a better and stronger conference, its just going to make a few people richer. The sec expands to make the conf. better, others expand to make more money for select few. I compare this to politics. They make you think its for the better of the people, but its only better for the people in charge.

Let them have ga tech. What great athlete would want to go there that has to play in that weather and the travel for any sport? Their baseball team will become an afterthought in one recruiting year.

I think this is going to come back and be a big problem 3-5 years down the road for all of this useless expansion for money.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Just heard on the radio that San Diego State has a clause in its contract with the Big East that states it can leave the conference without paying an exit fee if there is no other team west of the Rockies.

Also, the Navy AD has indicated Navy will see the landscape of the Big East in 2015 before deciding its future with the conference.
Boise's about face gives the MWC eleven teams and SDSU would make it a dozen and a conference title game. I agree Navy mat reconsider as well, they really don't need to be in a league anyway.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.