Official NEW Expansion Thread: Ga. Tech to B1G?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
San Diego State decides to stay with the Mountain West Conference.

Link
No big surprise. They had a free out with Boise leaving and staying put was clearly their best option. Going to the Big East for football meant putting their other sports in the West Coast Conference, so this will help them overall.

This puts the MWC at 12 for football and 11 for everything else, Hawaii is football only, other sports in the WCC. So now the MWC can have a championship game. This drops the Big East to 11 for football, assuming Navy still joins as football only in 2015, which I doubt they will. I heard rumors on another board that Tulsa may leave C-USA for the Big East.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Re: Official NEW Expansion Thread: Demise of the ACC?

Texas A&M, Notre Dame, and North Carolina seem like they'll be the biggest pieces in an expansion. Notre Dame remains a long shot, but they did make a deal with the ACC, which represents a move further south and some flexibility. I completely agree you do not add them unless as an equal member though (which is unlikely anytime soon). If Texas A&M can be equal so can Notre Dame.

The same goes for UNC. I don't see adding them if you have to add another NC school to appease them. However, I've looked at the numbers and their brand is extremely valuable. They average 55K attendance in football, which puts them ahead of schools like Georgia Tech, Miami, etc... their athletic department's revenue puts them ahead of schools like Virginia Tech, Clemson, Missouri, etc... The key though is how much their tier three rights are worth. They are apparently worth as much as NC State, Virginia Tech, and Auburn put together. Their programming value would be extremely high and their population is high enough that despite having other instate schools, they would add a lot subscribers as well. They are a national brand though, a bit like Notre Dame and Alabama football (on the list I saw, Alabama comes in second to North Carolina in tier three revenue) and would make selling SEC programming that much easier.

If there is any sort of inevitability to having 16 teams, the SEC absolutely needs to zero in on those two schools and if they can't land either then they need to stall going to 16 as long as possible. If you don't like UNC and Notre Dame, take a hard look at NC State and Virginia Tech, who many seem to think is the direction the SEC is headed. Those two are vastly inferior.

Well, the SEC, Big 10 and Pac-12 look to be the only parties with, or ready to launch a network. That means more potential revenue for most schools. I don't see any schools departing from those three, but everyone else is still vulnerable.

They actually do generate a lot of revenue. They are bad if you want to do a TV network, but the ACC's deal already sold their tier three football rights anyway.
if Notre Dame aligns with any conference, I believe it will be the B1G. I think their partial deal with the ACC was their solution to put off a permanent affiliation.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Re: Official NEW Expansion Thread: Demise of the ACC?

In light of recent developments, it has been exposed that Nutter Dumber already believes it is a conference.

"I saw it in the Rolling Stone, man.............it has to be true!"

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't get why anyone, even Tulsa, would join the Big East at this point.
Doesn't make sense to me either, but that's the hot rumor on another board I follow. They'd seem to be a better fit for the MWC, but they may not want to go past 12 right now. The Big East does have Houston and SMU, so they wouldn't be out on an island. Also, Tulane and Memphis are in the neighborhood and southern miss is the next westernmost team.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
- Sun Belt Conference commissioner Karl Benson, in a telephone interview with AL.com Friday evening, confirmed an earlier report by ESPN.com's Brett McMurphy that Middle Tennessee State and Florida Atlantic will join Conference USA on July 1
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/01/middle_tennessee_fau_will_join.html#incart_flyout_sports

This drops the Sun Belt to eight football members, so I guess they'll call up a couple more teams from the FCS level. C-USA will now have 14 next year, then drop to 12 in 2014 when East Carolina and Tulane go to the Big East and then back to 14 when Charlotte and Old Dominion come aboard. If C-USA keeps drafting Sun Belt schools and football teams that didn't exist five years ago, UAB might just make it to a bowl game.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I wonder why C-USA doesn't go for Troy. Troy and UAB already have a yearly rivalry game that they play, and Troy has come very close to beating some big name SEC teams the past few years.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
UAB fans don't seem to want Troy in their league, having them in the same league would make them equals and would hurt UAB's recruiting.

In other realignment news, not football related but does relate to this state, UAH's hockey team has joined a league with two teams in Alaska.

The Western Collegiate Hockey Association, in a vote of its presidents, extended an invitation to UAH today at the NCAA Convention in the Dallas suburb of Grapevine. The Chargers, led by school President Dr. Robert Altenkirch and Director of Athletics E.J. Brophy, accepted
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/01/uah_accepts_invitation_to_join.html

I'm all for having diversity of sports programs, but a hockey team that has such an extensive and expensive travel budget needs to be dropped.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
Re: next round of expansion already getting underway

Totally agree leave us alone or Bama go Independent in football.
I do not recall anyone wanting us to go Independent when we were struggling. I love SEC football. I hope BAMA never goes Independent. We are not Tejas or the Dommers. We need the SEC and the SEC needs us.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA

I do not recall anyone wanting us to go Independent when we were struggling. I love SEC football. I hope BAMA never goes Independent. We are not Tejas or the Dommers. We need the SEC and the SEC needs us.
Truth. Independence would be an unmitigated disaster for Alabama. Take away the SEC schools and consider what our football schedule would look like. Then consider the non-revenue sports.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I believe as some have said in multiple expansion threads; there needs to be a movement to reduce the number of FBS teams from 124 to somewhere near 60+-. There is no need for the lesser conferences (CUSA, Sunbelt, Big East, MAC, WAC, etc) to be in the FBS. Let them have their own division and NC. Teams from those conferences have no chance to ever win the NC in football against the major BCS conferences. That is the real world, there will always be the haves and the have nots.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

I believe as some have said in multiple expansion threads; there needs to be a movement to reduce the number of FBS teams from 124 to somewhere near 60+-. There is no need for the lesser conferences (CUSA, Sunbelt, Big East, MAC, WAC, etc) to be in the FBS. Let them have their own division and NC. Teams from those conferences have no chance to ever win the NC in football against the major BCS conferences. That is the real world, there will always be the haves and the have nots.
If we had 60 teams in the top division of college football, you could have 5 12 team conferences. Then an 8 team playoff with the champions of the 5 conferences and 3 wild cards would solve once and for all the griping and complaining as to who the champion is. An 8 team playoff would be easy to do using the main bowls, Sugar, Rose, Orange, Fiesta, Chick-Fil-A, and Cotton. Every bowl would be important and a must see, so the money would be enormous for the sport.

The other 60+ teams not in the top division could do the same with the lesser bowls and be playing for a championship which would make those bowls mean something and very watchable for all of us. But...it makes to much sense for it to happen. ;)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

If we had 60 teams in the top division of college football, you could have 5 12 team conferences. Then an 8 team playoff with the champions of the 5 conferences and 3 wild cards would solve once and for all the griping and complaining as to who the champion is.
Really? Are we really hearing this again? There is a 10-6 team in the Super Bowl, again. The whole a playoff solves everything argument is still and has always been illogical. If losing one game is a disqualifier for being a champion then we shouldn't crown champions most years. If it doesn't, then who on earth decided that regardless of how illogical the results of a playoff are, they solve everything?

Playoffs are good for people that do not like to think. It's as simple as that, they just create another way to crown a champion. It's not round robin, it's not like Baltimore beat the Falcons. Truth is we are seeing the 5th and the 10th team play each other, but yayy we don't think about that very much. Let's try not to think about the fact that there was a 10-6 team that didn't even make the playoffs, and there is a 10-6 team that is in the Super Bowl, because then we might start to think that may be this doesn't solve everything.

Anyway, playoff madness aside, around 60 teams would be about right, and personally I wouldn't balk terribly at about 80. But we're nearing 130, and it's getting ridiculous.

Last edited:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

Really? Are we really hearing this again? There is a 10-6 team in the Super Bowl, again. The whole a playoff solves everything argument is still and has always been illogical. If losing one game is a disqualifier for being a champion then we shouldn't crown champions most years. If it doesn't, then who on earth decided that regardless of how illogical the results of a playoff are, they solve everything?

Playoffs are good for people that do not like to think. It's as simple as that, they just create another way to crown a champion. It's not round robin, it's not like Baltimore beat the Falcons. Truth is we are seeing the 5th and the 10th team play each other, but yayy we don't think about that very much. Let's try not to think about the fact that there was a 10-6 team that didn't even make the playoffs, and there is a 10-6 team that is in the Super Bowl, because then we might start to think that may be this doesn't solve everything.

Anyway, playoff madness aside, around 60 teams would be about right, and personally I wouldn't balk terribly at about 80. But we're nearing 130, and it's getting ridiculous.
Completely agree with you....play-offs do not often end up with the best team winning the championship in the NFL. At least in College Football the best team usually ends up number #1. I sure hope they don't expand the college play-off beyond 4 teams.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I also feel that once the real FBS is set at 60-80 teams possibly there should be no games played against teams not included in whatever is the final number. No more games against CUSA or Sunbelt Conferences, and no more games against FCS teams.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Completely agree with you....play-offs do not often end up with the best team winning the championship in the NFL. At least in College Football the best team usually ends up number #1. I sure hope they don't expand the college play-off beyond 4 teams.
College football and NFL football are really not comparable. The difference between the best and worst team in the NFL is very small, while the difference between the best and 30th best team in college football is enormous. Why do 10-6 teams beat 14-2 teams in the playoffs in the NFL? Because the 14-2 team really isn't that much better. The same cannot be said in college football.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

College football and NFL football are really not comparable. The difference between the best and worst team in the NFL is very small, while the difference between the best and 30th best team in college football is enormous. Why do 10-6 teams beat 14-2 teams in the playoffs in the NFL? Because the 14-2 team really isn't that much better. The same cannot be said in college football.
Yep. Made the same comments to my brother a few weeks ago. Most years there is not a difference between a 12-0 Boise State and a 8-4 South Carolina. However, there is a difference between a 12-0 Alabama and a 12-0 Boise. The competition and make up of the conferences aren't the same. That is why the playoff works for the NFL but not college football.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

LOL! Glad to know your opinion and your followers opinions are the only ones that make sense. ;) Ain't talking about the pro's. College football had a 12-0 team playing for the national championship that frankly would have been middle pack in the SEC. Not 10-6, but 12-0! I am sure the Georgia, Texas A&M, Louisville, Oregon, Florida State and Ohio State fans (had they not been on probation) would agree that a playoff would have been detrimental to the sport this season. ;)

Speaking of Ohio State, there is a chance they would have played ND instead of Bama had they not have been bowl ineligible. Then what say ye? ;)
If a 6 loss team were to happen to win a conference as Wisconsin did, (Ohio State ineligible) then the team that lost to them would have a chance to redeem themselves with a possible wild card if deserving.

I know everything is clear cut black and white to you but to me making the bowls must see tv and meaningful is not a bad thing. ;)

Let me just add to this. Lets say when we get to the 4 team playoff Notre Dame and Ohio State go undefeated as they did this year. Thats 2 spots of the 4. Lets say Bama loses to Texas A&M early in the season like we will play them next year early but doesn't lose another game and goes 11-1. Texas A&M loses to a weak SEC East team but goes to the championship game by virtue of head to head win against Bama in the West at 11-1 and beats say Georgia for the SEC championship. Thats spot #3 taken. Then say Florida State finally puts it all together in the weak ACC and goes undefeated, there goes spot #4.

Chances are that Bama would be better than all 4 teams in the playoff, but left out of the playoff. Just imagine the howling for an 8 team playoff we would have then on this and other Bama sites! ;) The thing is as long as your team is not getting shafted you are happy with the world as is and that goes for every fan base!

Personally I wouldn't mind if we went back to the old days of no BCS or playoff but that genie is out of the bottle. Steve Spurrier is right about an 8 team playoff and I certainly think he is in a position to have an educated position on the subject too! ;) :)

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

IIRC that was one of CNS problems with the NFL. That is why, IMO, there are really only about 20-30 teams that can really play for the FBS NC each year. These 20-30 teams are in the SEC, Big 10, ACC, Big XII, and the PAC 12. Why should lesser conferences be included in this division's NC? If all 5 of these conferences had 14 teams then you have 70 teams, all other are excluded, but can play for the NC in their division.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

College football and NFL football are really not comparable. The difference between the best and worst team in the NFL is very small, while the difference between the best and 30th best team in college football is enormous.
I can't completely agree with that, in part because of the variables. If everyone is healthy and the game is played on a truly neutral site? Sure, I think that is usually the case. But, injuries, the rigors of the schedule, etc... play a huge role in how things actually play out.

College football can still produce these results that boggle the mind. Nebraska had 2 losses, at that point the same as Stanford, Texas A&M, LSU, etc... They play a Wisconsin team that was 4-4 in conference, that would have 6 losses and they don't just get beat, they get beat 70-31. Kansas St. lost to 5 loss Baylor team 52-24. This isn't just interesting when contrasted with what you're talking about, it's interesting because in MOAN's proposal, both Wisconsin and Kansas St. are in a playoff.

I think the moral of the story is this, anything can happen on a given Saturday in college football. I think that's why the polls are of such a huge value, because it allows us to take all that chaos and make sense of it. A playoff is just an easy way out...
College football had a 12-0 team playing for the national championship that frankly would have been middle pack in the SEC. Not 10-6, but 12-0! I am sure the Georgia, Texas A&M, Louisville, Oregon, Florida State and Ohio State fans (had they not been on probation) would agree that a playoff would have been detrimental to the sport this season. ;)
Middle of the pack? That statement is ill informed, unless you are going to claim that Oregon, Florida St. and Ohio State would have been middle of the pack to.

As far as those other schools, did you notice Georgia lose in the SEC championship game? Did you catch that? You want to put them right back in there and go ok, didn't count.

Forget all that, let's draw up your playoff and see how it stacks up. We have the 5 power conferences so they'll play the role of your 5 imaginary ones.

SEC: Alabama - No argument there.
Big 12: Kansas St. - I don't think they belong, they did get blown out after all, but they did just have one loss.
Pac-12: Stanford - This is a two loss team, that already was beaten by Notre Dame, you know the middle of the pack SEC team, so why on earth do they belong?
ACC: Florida St. - Two loss team, which you think is worthy of mentioning, because losing to NC State is apparently the way to make a run at a national championship.
Big 10: Wisconsin - Because, after all that's a playoff without a mediocre team? Glad to see you found room for one. 5 loss team playing for a championship.
At large:
Notre Dame - Hey look, a team that actually belongs!
Florida - Well, look at it this way, they wouldn't lose to Clemson.
Oregon - Another chance to fail.

Ok, so that's your criteria. 5 automatics, 3 at large. No Georgia, Texas A&M, no Louisville, and obviously no Ohio St. You're doing the classic grass is always greener argument, you set up a 8 team playoff, then you go and you name 6 teams, most of which wouldn't even make it in your own scenario!

Do you want to try again?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.