Official NEW Expansion Thread: Ga. Tech to B1G?

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Re: Official NEW Expansion Thread: Maryland reportedly going to B1G

RTR91;2037046 [B said:
It's obvious the ACC and Big East are dead[/B]. Whether we like FSU, UNC, Ga Tech, Clemson, Duke, UVA, or Va Tech or not, we better get ready. The SEC will have to get a few of them eventually. They are there for the taking and all that is really available for the SEC.

Radio host on Yahoo Sports Radio said the Big 10 schools will go from $20 million in revenue to $35 million after the DC and NJ tv markets. Talk about a nice little chunk of change.

The Big Least may be, on life support, but it's hard to see the ACC as obviously dead. With teams in markets such as Pennsylvania, New York state, the eastern coastal states, Atlanta, and Florida, they have access to LOTS of television sets. Heck, their basketball revenues alone are huge, and that sport is far less expensive to operate than football.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Re: next round of expansion already getting underway

would Va Tech and either UNC or Duke be good editions to the SEC or would they be like Mizzou , cuz the east is an easy division
duke and unc will never join the SEC...nor will uva. if we want the north carolina market, we should go after nc state. and if we want the virginia market, va tech is the only option.

freefall

1st Team
Apr 30, 2009
Leesburg, VA

VT is tied to Va, won't go anywhere without them, thus voted party line.
People keep saying this but it's not that simple. VT and UVA aren't necessarily a package deal. Obviously if both schools were to move together to a new, better situation that's an easy sell to the governor and the state legislature. However, if both are assured of a soft landing in different places, I think that would probably be approved as well. For example, if there were a way to send UVA to the B1G and VT to the SEC, I think there would be enough support to make it happen. I'm not saying that specific scenario is likely or that it would be easy to work the timing, just that it's possible for us to go our separate ways as long as neither school is left holding the bag.

The ACC is UNC, Duke, Wake, NCSU (in that order) and then everyone else. Recent expansions had started to rock the pecking order in the conference, recent events are a result of Tobacco Road reasserting itself as the "powers that be" in the ACC.
It's not called the "All Carolina Conference" for nothing... :mad2:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The Big Least may be, on life support, but it's hard to see the ACC as obviously dead. With teams in markets such as Pennsylvania, New York state, the eastern coastal states, Atlanta, and Florida, they have access to LOTS of television sets. Heck, their basketball revenues alone are huge, and that sport is far less expensive to operate than football.
Maryland is gone. FSU has flirted with the Big 12 and voted with Maryland to not raise exit fees. Might as well say they are gone, too. Notre Dame will try to save face as best as it can and call Delaney back to see the possibility of joining the Big 10. Not sure who would be a quality addition for the ACC.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Maryland is gone. FSU has flirted with the Big 12 and voted with Maryland to not raise exit fees. Might as well say they are gone, too. Notre Dame will try to save face as best as it can and call Delaney back to see the possibility of joining the Big 10. Not sure who would be a quality addition for the ACC.
Where would FSU go? Unless they are going to somehow piggyback with Notre Dame to the Big 10 what are their options? The SEC doesn't need them and the Big 12 doesn't want them (but does want Notre Dame). I think the ACC is more stable than people realize, because the schools the Big 10 or SEC would want are not the ones that actually want to leave.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Where would FSU go? Unless they are going to somehow piggyback with Notre Dame to the Big 10 what are their options? The SEC doesn't need them and the Big 12 doesn't want them (but does want Notre Dame). I think the ACC is more stable than people realize, because the schools the Big 10 or SEC would want are not the ones that actually want to leave.
Did anyone know that Maryland was talking to the Big 10 before Saturday? Who is to say that PTB at these schools aren't talking behind the closed doors behind the closed doors?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Did anyone know that Maryland was talking to the Big 10 before Saturday? Who is to say that PTB at these schools aren't talking behind the closed doors behind the closed doors?
This has a pretty simple explanation. FSU wanted to leave the ACC before the 50 million dollar exit fee was finalized. Their interest in the Big 12 was known. The quote I saw from a Big 12 president was that they were happy at 10 (but they would consider Notre Dame). Basically, if FSU could have left, they already would have. They were helpless and could do no more than vote against the higher exit fee. They couldn't have wanted to waste 30 million dollars... I could have my timeline off a bit, but FSU voting against it pretty much sums up the situation. They wanted out but didn't have a place to go. Maryland didn't either at that time, because the SEC ended up going in another direction. It wasn't until the Notre Dame deal with the ACC that the Big 10 started looking again (I said all along that they were waiting on Notre Dame and clearly they had been).

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I really only see FSU getting an invite to the Big 12 if the non-power schools in that conference demand a conference championship game. They've been sold a phony bill of goods by OU/Texas who have little need for a championship - it's just one more game they can lose late and their name can't recover them - but Oklahoma State didn't make the title last year ultimately because they didn't get a shot at one more quality win. Kansas State will have a similar argument possibly if they beat Texas to end the season.

I am expecting that the desire to stay at 10 within that conference isn't as unanimous as the UT-Austin mouthpiece, Orangebloods.com, makes it out. If Kansas State is sitting at one loss at the end of the year, I think the "plebeians" of that conference are going to start crowing for 2 more teams and a conference championship. In that case, I think FSU gets their exit option from the ACC.

PlanoBamaDad

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 3, 2010
Official NEW Expansion Thread: Maryland reportedly going to B1G

Never ever trust the folks in Austin, 2nd we need the Big Least to survive, so we can schedule their football teams for our strength of schedule equation in the playoffs. We won't get any points scheduling directional state ( I know I'm selfish with my Tide!).
Roll Tide Roll!

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN

Maryland and Rutgers are expected to be placed into the Leaders Division. Illinois then would shift from the Leaders to the Legends Division. Apparently, in the Big Ten, if you lose eight straight games and go winless in the conference, you immediately qualify for legend status.

IncendiaryLemon

Nov 20, 2012

I think VT is the other extreme though, a one trick pony and I'm not all that impressed with their one trick.
UVa grad here.

I think most of our alumni would prefer to stay in a southern conference. UVa remains a deeply conservative school and I think there's a very real reluctance to tie our fate to a bunch of midwestern universities. The logistics are awful, the travel would be a nightmare, and we'd be playing against teams we don't give a damn about. We're an academic school and I don't think we'd ever seriously compete in SEC but I'd rather that then spend my years watching Ohio State pummel us. Besides, we could preserve our baseball team if we go south.

If I had a pick, Tech would wander off to to the Big 12 and get back to burning couches with West Virginia. Then we could join the SEC with UNC.

silentsam74

All-American
Dec 30, 2005
Sylvania, Alabama, United States

In the midst of another round of college conference realignment, Virginia Tech Hokies athletic director Jim Weaver has revealed there could be interest in Blacksburg in joining the SEC some time in the future, which stands in contrast to his repeated denials in the past. Weaver's comments were first reported by Fox Sports Radio's Kyle Bailey via his Twitter account late Tuesday.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/11/20/3673798/virginia-tech-sec-conference-realignment

rhm54

1st Team
Nov 30, 2006

A little more information on the Hokie story. This guy, Kyle Bailey, who hosts a show on Super Sports 101.7 out of Virginia had this to say.

https://twitter.com/TheClubhouseKB/status/271069601989799936

If you keep reading, one of his follow up replies states this:

No, I'm saying that there's no begging needed. Sounds as if there's a standing offer(from the SEC)

I have asked him for where he is getting that information, I will let you know when/if he responds.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

A little more information on the Hokie story. This guy, Kyle Bailey, who hosts a show on Super Sports 101.7 out of Virginia had this to say.

https://twitter.com/TheClubhouseKB/status/271069601989799936

If you keep reading, one of his follow up replies states this:

[/FONT][/COLOR]
I have asked him for where he is getting that information, I will let you know when/if he responds.
I would have loved it had it been VTech instead of Missouri that had joined in the last round of conference realignment..It just makes more sense too me..They would be a solid addition to the SEC..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

If they have to say they're interested, we're probably not. Just sayin

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I would have loved it had it been VTech instead of Missouri that had joined in the last round of conference realignment..It just makes more sense too me..They would be a solid addition to the SEC..
What type of sense would that be? I really want the logical explanation because so far all I've ever heard was "Virginia market" and "football power". I don't see why VT is all that attractive, especially when contrasted to options like Missouri. So what exactly makes VT more valuable?

If I had a pick, Tech would wander off to to the Big 12 and get back to burning couches with West Virginia. Then we could join the SEC with UNC.
I would hope that the fans in Virginia get behind a move to the SEC. The truth is the SEC will probably have a few options and they have flirted with a few schools. I hope the SEC takes their time anyway, but if Virginia could do like A&M did and have the fans remind the powers that be of what their priorities should be it would help.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

What type of sense would that be? I really want the logical explanation because so far all I've ever heard was "Virginia market" and "football power". I don't see why VT is all that attractive, especially when contrasted to options like Missouri. So what exactly makes VT more valuable?

I would hope that the fans in Virginia get behind a move to the SEC. The truth is the SEC will probably have a few options and they have flirted with a few schools. I hope the SEC takes their time anyway, but if Virginia could do like A&M did and have the fans remind the powers that be of what their priorities should be it would help.
Virginia is a descent hotbed for recruiting believe it or not(as is Missouri)..Pretty good high school football in that part of the country..And yes Virgina Tech is more of a football power than Missouri..Sorry if ya disagree..We all have our opinions..I respect yours..I just think VTech is a better addition than Missouri....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.