And once again, Alabama controls its destiny! (thank you Baylor and Stanford)

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Re: And once again, we control our destiny! (thank you Baylor and Stanford)

ESPNU just showed a video of Bama fans reacting to the Stanford field goal! It was just like two weeks ago, with them going crazy. It was great...such highs and lows for us.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005

.... WOOOO !

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
It all started in 1966 (I was in the 8th grade). ND purposely played for a tie against Michigan State to preserve their undefeated season (no OT back then). Bama finished 10-0-0, but ND (9-0-1) was awarded the NC because...well, they were ND. I haven't had any use for ND ever since.
Notre Dame was gifted the title , not because they were ND , but because it was during the middle of the civil rights movement and there was no way in he-- voters were going to allow an all-white southern school to 3-peat . The fact that it was ND , just made it easier for voters to get away with their overt snubbing .

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Notre Dame was gifted the title , not because they were ND
It should also be noted that Michigan State finished #2 and Alabama #3 in both polls, so it really wasn't a ND thing. Michigan State would have been national champs if ND wasn't, so like you said, ND really shouldn't be blamed for that.

The politics of the day just weren't going to allow a non-integrated southern team to be national champs.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Notre Dame was gifted the title , not because they were ND , but because it was during the middle of the civil rights movement and there was no way in he-- voters were going to allow an all-white southern school to 3-peat . The fact that it was ND , just made it easier for voters to get away with their overt snubbing .

The travesty of 1966 could never happen today. The facts remain that Ara Parseghian intentionally played for a tie and essentially dared the voters to drop them. I'm sure that some will point out our 64 and 65 titles were controversial enough & probably aided the robbery.

Incidentally, Pat Dye pulled the same thing in the 1988 Sugar Bowl, when he robbed Syracuse of any chance at a split title with a late FG. Orange fans call him Pat Tie.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
The travesty of 1966 could never happen today. The facts remain that Ara Parseghian intentionally played for a tie and essentially dared the voters to drop them. I'm sure that some will point out our 64 and 65 titles were controversial enough & probably aided the robbery.

Incidentally, Pat Dye pulled the same thing in the 1988 Sugar Bowl, when he robbed Syracuse of any chance at a split title with a late FG. Orange fans call him Pat Tie.
.... and mailed Dye a ton of ties :)

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
What a Night!

I think this will really be a lift to our team!

Dont care who we play!

Put it on API & then on to Atl, I was hoping for the Dogs since we had to drop them this year.

Bama fans are the Best Never Ever Give Up!

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Was anyone else watching this at the bar at Workplay in Birmingham last night? I was keeping up with things via Twitter during a GREAT show by Justin Townes Earle. Show let out just in time for logjam at the exit to catch the Stanford FG as we walked out the door. Crowd went ape, of course.

Great night....Roll Tide, y'all.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Good morning to all my Bama Bethren. Isn't college football wonderful? I'm probably gonna have to order a new remote now. The "Recall" button suffered a bit flipping between games.

I didn't see the Baylor offensive domination coming. That was a complete surprise. Thanks Bears.

I was sort of expecting the Stanford defense to throttle the Ducks to some degree but 14 Points? Thanks Cardinal.

Well......... It's barn week. On we go.

It's great to be a Tide Fan!

RTR!!!

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007

WOW! What an evening. Thank you Baylor & Stanford! What time does new BCS rankings come out today?

RTR!!!!

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
This was the bumper sticker from that year In Your Heart, You Know We're Number 1

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL

What a night. still can't get over the Stanford victory. It honestly looked like both Oregon and KSU played tight, as if they could feel the heat rising from the SEC. This guarantees at least one SEC team will be in Miami. Would be just hilarious if UF beats F$U and somehow U$C beasts ND. We'd be looking at back to back all SEC BCSNC games.

And this thought just occurred to me as I was typing this- things just got even tougher for the barn. Think they will play against a hungry and focused team next saturday?

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

What a night. still can't get over the Stanford victory. It honestly looked like both Oregon and KSU played tight, as if they could feel the heat rising from the SEC. This guarantees at least one SEC team will be in Miami. Would be just hilarious if UF beats F$U and somehow U$C beasts ND. We'd be looking at back to back all SEC BCSNC games.

And this thought just occurred to me as I was typing this- things just got even tougher for the barn. Think they will play against a hungry and focused team next saturday?
Barkley is probably out for this one due to a shoulder injury. Don't see kiffy brilliantly devising a plan to handle the domers, especially now. This may even get ugly. And the GOOD thing about it is I don't have to root for kiffy to beat Oregon to help Bama out. BONUS!

But........ I've been wrong before! If anyone can throttle an offense it's Monte.

RTR!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.