And once again, Alabama controls its destiny! (thank you Baylor and Stanford)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: And once again, we control our destiny! (thank you Baylor and Stanford)

I'm not much of a drinker (don't condemn it but childhood issues), but last night after I had three adrenalin rush phone calls, I needed some sleep aid if you know what I mean.

Got it, too!! RTR

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Re: And once again, Alabama controls it's destiny! (thank you Baylor and Stanford)

It all started in 1966 (I was in the 8th grade). ND purposely played for a tie against Michigan State to preserve their undefeated season (no OT back then). Bama finished 10-0-0, but ND (9-0-1) was awarded the NC because...well, they were ND. :mad: I haven't had any use for ND ever since.

1973 Sugar Bowl: ND beats Bama 13-11 on a flukey TD play in the 4th quarter. (Bama still won the NC because it was decided after the regular season and before the bowls in those days, but still...)

1974 Orange Bowl: ND beats Bama 24-23.

1977: Bama (#2 or 3 in the polls, iirc) kicks OSU's butt 35-6 in the Sugar Bowl. ND (#5) beats Texas in the Cotton Bowl something like 38-10, and jumps over everybody to be declared NC.

Would love to see the Tide get them in the NC and kick their butts into next week.
Bo, you've got them reversed. The Sugar came first. The Irish may have sat on the ball in '66, but they threw it from the end zone in New Orleans. Best, most heart-breaking game I've ever seen. Orange Bowl was the rematch, and Notre Dame knocked us around all night. Anybody remember the name of Wayne Bullock? Todd's best pass of the game got us close but he under threw a wide open receiver late that would have otherwise won the game.

Time to get our affairs in order.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
Barkley is probably out for this one due to a shoulder injury. Don't see kiffy brilliantly devising a plan to handle the domers, especially now. This may even get ugly. And the GOOD thing about it is I don't have to root for kiffy to beat Oregon to help Bama out. BONUS!

But........ I've been wrong before! If anyone can throttle an offense it's Monte.

RTR!!!
Oh I agree that it would be a long-shot for USCw to upset the Irish, but after last night, I'm not counting on anything.

And yes, at least we won't have to pull for any help from Kiffen or Mack Brown.

I'd rather play Notre Dame, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit to tee it off against UF in an all SEC affair.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Re: BCS Title Game ...... (SEC)

This is just unbelievable! The planets are again aligned like they are supposed to be. Last week was so depressing and this week everything fell into place for the Tide. Just unbelievable. KSU couldn't take the pressure for more than one week at #1. And, Oregon faced it without reaching the BCS #1 position. Thank you Baylor! Thank you Stanford!

Now, Bama just needs to take care of its/their business without all the build up of weeks of pressure of being #1.

Take care of business on Saturday against the Barn and then in the SECCG against the Dawgs.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Re: BCS Title Game ...... (SEC)

Did I say unbelievable/ This is just unbelievable! But you can believe it!

RTR!!!!!!!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Re: The gods are with us! Bama v. ND NCG

I'm thinking ND loses to USC next week, and SEC Champ Bama plays FLORIDA for the national title!
There is NO way ND is losing to USCw unless they don't show up in Southern Cali.

BoSox Tider

Scout Team
Jul 1, 2011
Notre Dame was gifted the title , not because they were ND , but because it was during the middle of the civil rights movement and there was no way in he-- voters were going to allow an all-white southern school to 3-peat . The fact that it was ND , just made it easier for voters to get away with their overt snubbing .
You are correct. I just gave the Cliff Notes version, but the civil rights issue was huge.

BoSox Tider

Scout Team
Jul 1, 2011
Re: And once again, Alabama controls it's destiny! (thank you Baylor and Stanford)

Bo, you've got them reversed. The Sugar came first. The Irish may have sat on the ball in '66, but they threw it from the end zone in New Orleans. Best, most heart-breaking game I've ever seen. Orange Bowl was the rematch, and Notre Dame knocked us around all night. Anybody remember the name of Wayne Bullock? Todd's best pass of the game got us close but he under threw a wide open receiver late that would have otherwise won the game.

Time to get our affairs in order.
Eyeshade - I actually have 66 first, then Sugar Bowl (73), then Orange Bowl (74). (I had actually forgotten most of the details from that Orange Bowl game, but remember the throw from the end zone in 73 very well).

As heartbreaking as the Sugar and Orange Bowl games were, they were at least decided on the field. 66 and 77, there is just plain no excuse for.

RTR!!!! :):BigA:

Tide64

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2004
First Texas, now a possible shot at Notre Dame! That would be awesome!!! ROLL TIDE!!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Re: The gods are with us! Bama v. ND NCG

There is NO way ND is losing to USCw unless they don't show up in Southern Cali.
This is the same ND team that needed the refs to escape an awful Pitt team, so it isn't that big of a stretch.

BamaBoots

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Rocket City

It all started in 1966 (I was in the 8th grade). ND purposely played for a tie against Michigan State to preserve their undefeated season (no OT back then). Bama finished 10-0-0, but ND (9-0-1) was awarded the NC because...well, they were ND. :mad: I haven't had any use for ND ever since.

1973 Sugar Bowl: ND beats Bama 13-11 on a flukey TD play in the 4th quarter. (Bama still won the NC because it was decided after the regular season and before the bowls in those days, but still...)

1974 Orange Bowl: ND beats Bama 24-23.

1977: Bama (#2 or 3 in the polls, iirc) kicks OSU's butt 35-6 in the Sugar Bowl. ND (#5) beats Texas in the Cotton Bowl something like 38-10, and jumps over everybody to be declared NC.

Would love to see the Tide get them in the NC and kick their butts into next week.
And the win over Texas was in a freak ice storm. No one could hardly stand up. The '66 Natl Championship would have given us 3 straight Natl Champioships on the back of our '65 and '66 championships. ND would not play in a bowl game. Michigan State got beat in the Rose bowl. We were the only undefeated untied team in the country and we beat a Bob DeVaney coached Nebraska team 34 to 7 which led Coach DeVaney to say after the game, "If this is not the best team in the country I will kiss your butt." Coach Lombardi after his Green Bay Packers won the NFL championship was asked "How does it feel to be the greatest team in football". His answer was "I don't know we haven't played Alabama yet."
Then '77 was on the front end of our '78' and '79 championship. '77 was finally the matchup of "The Bear of Alabama vs Woody Hayes of Ohio State". We won as was said by BoSox Tider 35 to 6. One and two lose and ND's loss that year was to of all people Ole Miss and they jump them from number 5 to number one. Both of these injustices took away what should have been 3 straight Natl Championships and "The Bear" should have 8 Natl Championships not 6.
So this two reasons why we cannot stand ND. Not to mention as has been documented this year on video the screwing of Pittsburgh and Stanford by ND. If you will notice with ND and their officials watch the placement of the ball and you will see that ND only has to only get 9 yards or less for a first down and the other team has to get 11 yards or more for a first down. Plus the phantom calls the officials will make in ND's favor such as the Pittsburgh pass interference.:BigA::mad::BigA:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I think ND is the team we match up the best with of the top out-of-conference options. Still, they're a tough out. Golston can make plays with his feet and their OL is fantastic.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.