And once again, Alabama controls its destiny! (thank you Baylor and Stanford)

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Re: And once again, Alabama controls it's destiny! (thank you Baylor and Stanford)

Coming from someone who lives there, I can't overemphasize how much Stanford (and the rest of the Pac-12) hates Oregon. Denying the Ducks a spot in both the national and very likely the conference dance set humble Palo Alto on fire last night. In drunken camaraderie, I was wished best of luck from fans of teams stretching from Washington down to LA.

I only wish it had been a home game for the Cardinal, so I could've seen it in person.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Re: And once again, we control our destiny! (thank you Baylor and Stanford)

A friend of mine for Texas said that Big Al might as well start wearing a hockey mask--Bama just won't die!

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Re: And once again, Alabama controls it's destiny! (thank you Baylor and Stanford)

Coming from someone who lives there, I can't overemphasize how much Stanford (and the rest of the Pac-12) hates Oregon. Denying the Ducks a spot in both the national and very likely the conference dance set humble Palo Alto on fire last night. In drunken camaraderie, I was wished best of luck from fans of teams stretching from Washington down to LA.

I only wish it had been a home game for the Cardinal, so I could've seen it in person.
Palo Alto is humble?

Maybe it's just the pall of smug frim Woodside and Larry Ellison drifting over it that makes it appear otherwise. :wink:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Palo Alto is humble?

Maybe it's just the pall of smug frim Woodside and Larry Ellison drifting over it that makes it appear otherwise. :wink:
Well let's just say it's a far more stoic place than T-town. Even in times of great triumph. ;)

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
It should also be noted that Michigan State finished #2 and Alabama #3 in both polls, so it really wasn't a ND thing. Michigan State would have been national champs if ND wasn't, so like you said, ND really shouldn't be blamed for that.

The politics of the day just weren't going to allow a non-integrated southern team to be national champs.
I am going to have to take objection to that notion.

Living in Filthydelphia, at that time (against my will), there was no such talk. ND-MSU was The Game of the Century. Because the football world revolved around that part of the country. Nothing south of the Mason-Dixon line, or west of the Mississippi, existed, save for U$C. But only because they played Nutter Dumber every year. Whoever won that game was going to be King of the Hill, no matter what. Neither did, so they had a quandary. Which was the worst possible outcome, as Bama could be no higher than #3.

If a team other than one of the yankee biggies (ND, the OSU, Meechigan, etc.) won, it was considered a fluke of nature, (kinda like API winning!) merely because it wasn't one of their holy grails. The rest of the country was invisible. There was no talk of what a great injustice had just occurred. Only what to look for next year, and what (insert yankee holy grail) can/should/must do to be No. 1.

In the 5 years I was in that stink hole, the only time I heard anything, with any political and/or sociological overtones, was when the CryBoys lost to Green Bean, in the Ice Bowl.

"I'm glad Dallas lost. That is where they killed Kennedy." Wish I had a $ for every time I heard that one.

Back to our normal program of wishing for the chance to correct things with Nutter Dumber.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005

I think ND is the team we match up the best with of the top out-of-conference options. Still, they're a tough out. Golston can make plays with his feet and their OL is fantastic.
I agree and I would rather paly the Dommer. The first BAMA game I remember watching was the Dommer vs. BAMA.

DCETP

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2012

Last night was an unexpected treat! Roll Tree Bears! I just hope we can handle Georgia. We haven't looked as dominant recently as we thought we were, but we should still be favored. A Bama vs. ND national championship game might get the highest TV ratings of any BCSCG in a long time. This is a matchup I've always dreamed about (being too young to remember the last matchups between the two teams). I can hardly believe it might actually happen.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

I expect the team to come out like it did in the BCS last year.

A game vs ND might be the highest rated game ever

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
If a team other than one of the yankee biggies (ND, the OSU, Meechigan, etc.) won, it was considered a fluke of nature, (kinda like API winning!) merely because it wasn't one of their holy grails. The rest of the country was invisible.
Well, it shouldn't have been considered much of a fluke since Bama won the AP National Championship in 1961, 1964 and 1965, USC won it in 1962 and Texas won it in 1963. The only yankee team up to that point to win an AP NC in the 60's was Minnesota in 1960. By that point in the 60's, it was actually a fluke for a yankee team to win the NC. That's probably a large part of why Bama was snubbed also.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Didn't say it made sense to the rest of the world. In their myopic provincial view of the world, it made perfect sense. I remember many a New Years' Day when the TV was turned off, if none of "their" teams were playing.

For some reason, Tejas was the team that annoyed my family, the most. Must have been that "everything is bigger in Texas" stuff they heard, from guy they served with, in the war.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.