Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American IMALOYAL1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Re: 40 Years Ago Notre Dame and Alabama played for it All

Quote Originally Posted by DCETP View Post
    Really enjoying hearing the stories of some of you who remember these games! Sharing of stories among generations has always been one of the things I love about being a Bama fan. Most teams would love to have as much stuff that's worth remembering from the old days!
    It was one of Coach Bryants' best teams getting a chance to avenge the injustice of 1966 when Notre Dame was voted number one over an undefeated, defending nation champion Alabama.......

---------------------------------------
    In a game charged with as much electricity as filled the New Orleans skies with a fierce thunderstorm hours earlier, there was a Sugar Bowl record 93-yard kickoff return by Notre Dame's Al Hunter, and a 25-yard Alabama touchdown pass from quarterback Mike Stock to quarterback Richard Todd on a trick play that put the Crimson Tide in front 23-21 with 9:33 left in the fourth quarter. 'Bama kicker Bill Davis missed the extra point attempt.

All the scoring ended with 4:12 remaining in the game when Notre Dame kicker Bob Thomas put the Irish ahead 24-23 with a 19-yard field goal.

A series after Thomas' field goal, Greg Gantt boomed a punt that was downed at the Notre Dame 1-yard line with less than three minutes remaining.

The Irish faced third-and-six with 2:12 left. Coach Ara Parseghian told quarterback Tom Clements to go with a long count in hopes of drawing Alabama offsides. Instead, Irish tight end Dave Casper was the one who jumped, pushing Notre Dame back almost to the 2, and making the situation third-and-nine.
    http://www.allstatesugarbowl.org/site122.php
    ---------------------------------

I just knew we would get the ball back and kick the field goal. We all remember the next play.

It seemed like every big play Notre Dame made that night was unusually lucky.....my crimson glasses I guess, but if we do indeed play Notre Dame again this game will be rehashed over and over I'm sure.

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by tide power fan View Post
    I remember that game very well, I couldn't sleep for two days.
    I was there as a child, and in the endzone opposite the pass to Weber.

It still affects my sleep

Post Thanks / Like

From "Bama Hammer":

"With Richard Todd at QB, Moore lined up the Tide in a full house wishbone formation, with the tight end and split end to the right of the formation. Todd took the snap, and turned and pitched the ball to left halfback Mike Stock on the Alabama version of the student body sweep made famous by the University of Southern California. The play call was “Right,End Over, 68 throwback.” As Stock moved right with the pitch, Todd circled out and moved down the left sideline, alone. Stock pulled up and threw a perfect strike to Todd, who walked into the end zone untouched. It was the best play call I’ve ever seen.

Alabama was ahead 23-21, with the extra point, it would be 24-21. However, Alabama’s Bill Davis missed the extra point. To this day I can remember Guy Moman yelling “Oh No! He MISSED it!”. It would come back to haunt us.

Notre Dame took the ball and drove down the field and kicked a field goal to go ahead 24-23 with 4:26 left in the game. Alabama took the ball and drove to midfield where they took a sack and were forced to punt on 4th and 20. Alabama punter Greg Gant boomed a 69 yard punt, pinning Notre Dame back to the Notre Dame 2-yard line. But wait, there was a flag. Notre Dame was flagged for roughing the kicker, a fifteen yard penalty. The Bama fans were thrilled to get the ball back. However, it would be 4th and 5 from midfield, so Coach Bryant decided to decline the penalty and take the play, pinning Notre Dame back and let our defense make a play. Two runs into the Alabama line gained less than two yards. His strategy was looking terrific. On 3rd and 8, Notre Dame lined up in a two tight end running formation. One of the tight ends was Dave Casper, future Oakland Raider Pro Bowl Tight End. Coach Parseghian decided to try to win the game. Quarterback Tom Clemens executed a play action pass and dropped back in his own end zone. Alabama defensive end M

ike Raines just missed sacking Clemens, who threw a perfect strike to Notre Dame receiver Robin Weber for a 36 yard gain. Notre Dame was able to run out the clock to win the game 24-23."

Who knows what would have happened if Bryant had taken the Notre Dame penalty and possession with 4th and 5 at midfield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyallie View Post
    Also I'm included in that innumerable group. Last I heard (last year) he was living the the good life on Marco Island Florida, apparently able to look at football...
    Marco Island is a cool place (in-laws used to live there). Read the "Killing Mr. Watson" trilogy by Peter Matthiessen for a good story and interesting historical perspective of the area.
    Last edited by jabcmb; November 18th, 2012 at 08:01 PM.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Twisted on TideFans.com

I was 19 and a newlywed living in a small house . When we lost , I threw one of our two bar stools against the wall and it busted to pieces . We ate at the counter as we had no table , so I had to eat standing up for several weeks until we could afford to buy another stool . rtr...

BamaNation All-American bamabryan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

delete
    Last edited by bamabryan; November 18th, 2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: wrong thread.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tolerant on TideFans.com

39 Years Ago Notre Dame and Alabama played for it All

I was a freshman in 1973 and watched the game in my parents' house in Illinois during Christmas break. It never occurred to me that we could lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 39 Years Ago Notre Dame and Alabama played for it All

Two other murderous memories from that game.

1. Gary Rutledge had just led ys on a 90-yard drive in the second half ndwe had take te lead, just cutting Notre Dame up, and the coach puts in Richard, who immediately fumbled. Notre Dame scored on the next play. I remember reading something later that Jeff Rutledge was watching, at home I think, and at that moment vowed never to play at Alabama. Good thing he changed his mind.

2. After the missed PAT, and ND with the ball, Clemmons threw an end-over-ender that Casper went up and got, while surrounded by a scrum of our defenders. Any one of them should have knocked the ball down.
    Last edited by CrimsonEyeshade; November 19th, 2012 at 06:27 AM.

BamaNation All-American 1FitToBeTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

That Sugar Bowl loss to ND and the '72 Iron Bowl remain No. 1 and 2 as the most painful memories for me.

Unfortunately, if we get to the big dance against ND, that pass to Robin Weber will be seen several times in the hype campaign before. A beat down won't erase that memory, but it can help...

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither." C.S Lewis

BamaNation All-American cuda.1973's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sick on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1FitToBeTide View Post
    That Sugar Bowl loss to ND and the '72 Iron Bowl remain No. 1 and 2 as the most painful memories for me.
    YES! Both must be avenged.
    "Mama called."

So, we took her home.

3/8/26-8/20/13

BamaNation Hall of Fame exiledNms's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was at the 73 game as a 14-yr-old. The only game I ever got to watch w/ my Dad, who died suddenly the next year. Remember it very clearly. Of course, I had hated Notre Dame since 1966, so I already had that correct perspective going for me...

Despite the game's outcome, it's one of my fave games ever for two reasons. (1) see above; only game w/ Dad, a huge Bama fan. (2) Got to shake hands w/ Coach Bryant shortly afterward. I was/am short, so he seemed gigantic. When I grew up & got to Bama as a student, he still did. Now that I'm, er, not young any more, he still does.

Also, I second Earle's commentary & feelings about Ara P.'s commenting. Like Holtz, "Error" became a much better coach in his mind the longer he was away from actual coaching...As Gollum said, "Thief! We hates him forever!"

Now for Auburn's comeuppance for 72...
    exiled

-------------------------
    "Let's see when we get a full body of work at the end of the season. If you get satisfied and you fall in love with yourself, you get complacent and lose your desire."
    Nick Saban

BamaNation First Team tidegrandpa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TrueGritnPluck View Post
    I was there as a child, and in the endzone opposite the pass to Weber.

It still affects my sleep
    We were in the same end zone, except I was 17 years old, stll make me ill to remember it. RTR

BamaNation Second Team mhiggy45's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

i was 10 yrs old and cried myself to sleep that night...my parents were at the game and me and my brother were with a sitter.....I remember the next morning waking up with swollen eyes to a knock on the door. It was a miserable rainy day in B'ham and the milkman had come to the door to break the news that he had just hit and killed my springer spaniel "Ashby". the river of tears started all over again for most of that day. I loved that dog...worst weekend of my entire life!!!!!!