39 Years Ago Notre Dame and Alabama played for it All

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: 40 Years Ago Notre Dame and Alabama played for it All

Also I'm included in that innumerable group. Last I heard (last year) he was living the the good life on Marco Island Florida, apparently able to look at football...
Interesting! I just did a prenup for a couple forging a second marriage as widow and widower and one of them had to sell a house on Marco Island. Second time I've even heard the name...

Bear Disciple

1st Team
Oct 27, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL

Revenge. Notre Dame has a lot coming if that is indeed how it plays out, start paying them back for the titles they took from us!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Poor old Lou Holtz will be in 7th Heaven. He can cheer for his old team, and cheer against us at the same time.

I get to say that I sat on the 35 when Perkins Alabama team played ND.
I was so hoarse I couldn't talk for two days.
Got to confess that I've always been a Perkins fan. IMO: He just came along at the wrong time...

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I was 16 years old, my dad had moved us from Mobile to New Orleans a couple of years before, and we were at that game. What a gut wrencher. I still want some payback all these many years later. Krymsonman

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
I hated Notre Dame more than any other team when i was a kid. It was so fun to see Perkins team stomp them in '85. I hope that is how the BCSCG shakes out: Bama and ND! Aubie and UGA first though. Roll Tide!
It was actually 1986 .

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

Interesting! I just did a prenup for a couple forging a second marriage as widow and widower and one of them had to sell a house on Marco Island. Second time I've even heard the name...
It's just out from Naples and the West Palm Beach of the west coast, lots of eagle nests, very expensive. Hotel rooms around $1200 a night.

My main beef with Ara is his comments as a analysis for ABC, the Most bias announcer ever worst than Holtz.

Its the arragonce that gets them.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

I cried in the 1975 Orange Bowl when Richard Todd threw a last second interception to seal the loss to Notre Dame 13-11....:(
Unfortunately, Richard threw two, and we couldn't stop the dive play. The Sugar Bowl still may be the best football game I've ever seen, and by far the bitterest loss. Torment. It took the campus weeks to recover.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama

It was the 1973 Sugar Bowl played on December 31, 1973; after the 1973 season. My math says it was 39 years ago; not 40.

Nevertheless, I remember ther pain very well. Actually, both the '73 Sugar and '74 Orange.

Let's get by Auburn and Georgia and have some redemption.

I will say, Notre Dame's current coach has a lot more to like and shows more class than Ara P.

tidegrandpa

All-American

It was the 1973 Sugar Bowl played on December 31, 1973; after the 1973 season. My math says it was 39 years ago; not 40.

Nevertheless, I remember ther pain very well. Actually, both the '73 Sugar and '74 Orange.

Let's get by Auburn and Georgia and have some redemption.

I will say, Notre Dame's current coach has a lot more to like and shows more class than Ara P.
In rainy Tulane Stadium, New Years Eve, rough night, up, down, up, down, then Clements to that dam_ receiver at the 38 on third down...still stuck in my crawl...RTR

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

It's just out from Naples and the West Palm Beach of the west coast, lots of eagle nests, very expensive. Hotel rooms around $1200 a night.

My main beef with Ara is his comments as a analysis for ABC, the Most bias announcer ever worst than Holtz.

Its the arragonce that gets them.
That's where I worked up an unhealthy hate for him, not when he was coaching them. They kept assigning him to our games and he'd spend the whole game dissing us and slipping in digs. Yeah, I got to know a good bit about the island while doing that little project...

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011

I remember that game very well, I couldn't sleep for two days.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
In my mind, the 86 game redeemed us for 1966...we still have yet to redeem the 1973, Orange Bowl game and all the times they have gotten favor over us. I still cannot watch the 73 game. When I think of it, other games I have not been able to watch over the years include the 1972 AU game and the 1980 game against MSU. Still hurts too much to even see the footage. The arrogance and the attitude of most of the Irish nation still rankles me. I respect them and their tradition but it is a little much.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

That game was the seminal moment of my rapidly-intensifying dislike for the who's, and it raised my already white-hot dislike for the domers to a new level (and me being a Catholic!). I have waited for this for many, many years...only wish I could find a way to be watching it in whoville. I probably would be in the obits the day after... :p_frown:

DCETP

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2012

Really enjoying hearing the stories of some of you who remember these games! Sharing of stories among generations has always been one of the things I love about being a Bama fan. Most teams would love to have as much stuff that's worth remembering from the old days!

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama

In rainy Tulane Stadium, New Years Eve, rough night, up, down, up, down, then Clements to that dam_ receiver at the 38 on third down...still stuck in my crawl...RTR
Mike Dubose was the one beaten on the route, wasn't he?

SouthBaman

1st Team
Mar 26, 2004
Deep South
I was nine then and it's been a long wait for a chance to pay them back. 1986 was just a down payment. We still owe them for the two bowl games and for jumping over us to #1 after the bowls in the '77 season.

As school kids in the 70s, we despised ND more than anyone. AU and UT were just minor threats that we usually beat up on every year. Later as a student at UA during the Perkins years, it always made my blood boil every time I saw any of the stop signs on campus that had "Notre Dame" stencilled on them in light green paint. I don't know if that was done in the 70s or 80s, but surely they are all long gone by now.

For those who haven't seen it, here's a 70s album cover from Aerosmith that references the rivalry. (thanks to member BamaSlama)

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

I can not imagine a sweater NCCG than Bama and Notre Dame it's old school redemption time!
If we both make it to that game it will be a financial bonanza to everybody with an economic interest in college football. The two biggest names with two of the biggest fan bases would be a gold mine.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

Really enjoying hearing the stories of some of you who remember these games! Sharing of stories among generations has always been one of the things I love about being a Bama fan. Most teams would love to have as much stuff that's worth remembering from the old days!
It was one of Coach Bryants' best teams getting a chance to avenge the injustice of 1966 when Notre Dame was voted number one over an undefeated, defending nation champion Alabama.......

---------------------------------------
In a game charged with as much electricity as filled the New Orleans skies with a fierce thunderstorm hours earlier, there was a Sugar Bowl record 93-yard kickoff return by Notre Dame's Al Hunter, and a 25-yard Alabama touchdown pass from quarterback Mike Stock to quarterback Richard Todd on a trick play that put the Crimson Tide in front 23-21 with 9:33 left in the fourth quarter. 'Bama kicker Bill Davis missed the extra point attempt.

All the scoring ended with 4:12 remaining in the game when Notre Dame kicker Bob Thomas put the Irish ahead 24-23 with a 19-yard field goal.

A series after Thomas' field goal, Greg Gantt boomed a punt that was downed at the Notre Dame 1-yard line with less than three minutes remaining.

The Irish faced third-and-six with 2:12 left. Coach Ara Parseghian told quarterback Tom Clements to go with a long count in hopes of drawing Alabama offsides. Instead, Irish tight end Dave Casper was the one who jumped, pushing Notre Dame back almost to the 2, and making the situation third-and-nine.
http://www.allstatesugarbowl.org/site122.php
---------------------------------

I just knew we would get the ball back and kick the field goal. We all remember the next play.:frown:

It seemed like every big play Notre Dame made that night was unusually lucky.....my crimson glasses I guess, but if we do indeed play Notre Dame again this game will be rehashed over and over I'm sure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.