Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be like this with a playoff

I've been adamantly against a four team playoff in college football. I felt there was something truly special about basing it entirely on the regular season. I could go on, and I have in the past, but even when it looked like Alabama was going to be out of the championship picture I did not waver from my position. Quite simply, I believed if Alabama was out of the game it meant they were not good enough. Had Oregon won against Stanford, then Oregon St., and UCLA their body of work would have been (marginally) more impressive. Notre Dame didn't look pretty doing it, but they have navigated a fairly tough schedule and they haven't lost yet.

Alabama showed a lot of vulnerability in the LSU and A&M games and in order for them to win a championship they have to show an increased level of focus and prowess on the field. That's possible, and I hope for that, but had Oregon and Kansas St. not shown their own vulnerabilities, I do not believe Alabama deserved that chance. One reason the SEC is undefeated in the BCSCG is that they don't put undeserving teams in that game.

I do not know how a playoff will work out, but I know it will put a huge damper on the regular season. Alabama's loss to A&M? We could have walking away going, "well, Alabama just needs to be in the top 4". Oregon's loss to Stanford? "Well, Oregon just needs to stay ahead of Florida." I won't even rant about the conference champ criteria that could push an Oregon over a Florida anyway. Sure, games still matter, but it will alter everything about these regular season moments that mean so much to us. The new formula will be poisoned by including something that isn't reflected in the polls, or even in the computer formulas. It just won't be the same, it will be a lot more like everything else...

Football in general is changing, and college football is changing. Not all change is bad, but enjoy this because we'll have to tell future generations about what this was like since they'll never known for themselves.

2. Advertisement
    Suspended

Re: Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be like this with a playoff

I'd be happy knowing one loss isn't gonna kill you, just as it is now. 4th place is still no easy task. We'll give up a bit of regular season excitement (moments like last night will still happen and will still allow the 5 & 6 to move into the picture), and receive in its place two monster games at the end of the year.

BamaNation All-American

Being a Top 4 team will not be an easy task. We were just barely in the Top 4, and we still have to beat UGA (and technically AU).

Look at it from the other perspective - If we win out we get in, even if UCLA beats Stanford and Oregon wins out with a conference title as well. That would be two 1 loss teams, with a major conference title. Would we be okay on the outside looking in in that scenario?
    Honey Badger can take what the Tide gives him and like it.

BamaNation All-SEC

It won't be the same, but it will be similar. Rather than gutting it out for one of the top 2 spots, all the interest will be on who can make the cut for 3 and 4. This year, it would mean that Florida, LSU, and Texas A&M would all still be in the mix to get a second SEC team in the playoff. The Bama-Georgia winner would be a lock, much like this year.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!

BamaNation First Team CrimSonami's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I understand your points but I'm for the 4 team playoff. It'll be tweaked along the way in the coming years and there'll be growing pains based on who does and doesn't "Squeak In" the final rankings. Same/Similar as we've gone through with the still developing BCS system. The selection commitee will be biased on some issues like which teams does the CFB world want to see, what fanbase travels best, who won the crystal ball last year, who is the media promoting the most, etc. There will be times it works to our advatage. There will be times it will exclude us. Either way we gotta win when we need to for the opportunity. I'm OK with that.

RTR!!!

BamaNation First Team

I would prefer no playoff, but given that a playoff seemed inevitable, a 4-team playoff is the best (= least damaging) alternative. There will always be a "cusp", no matter how many teams are involved, and going forward the cusp will be between #4 and #5. Actually the teams down there are a lot less separated than #2 to #3, so there may be unexpected consequences, such as a more bitter playoff debate and more late-season style-pointing.

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JD95 View Post
    It won't be the same, but it will be similar. Rather than gutting it out for one of the top 2 spots, all the interest will be on who can make the cut for 3 and 4. This year, it would mean that Florida, LSU, and Texas A&M would all still be in the mix to get a second SEC team in the playoff. The Bama-Georgia winner would be a lock, much like this year.
    I guess you missed the conference champ criteria. That shoots all kinds of holes in what you just said. They already stated the criteria. It's not rock solid, you can get in without it, but in a mess of one loss teams you know the criteria will come into play, why else have it?

So, the past two weeks nothing, absolutely nothing, would have changed in terms of who is in a playoff. You just shuffled the seeding around. Kansas St. and Oregon would still have the inside track. This whole pretend intrigue thing is absolutely blown to bits by the conference champ criteria. When the rest of the top ten is SEC, the other top teams are golden.

Florida is the team that should be in play, but with a playoff they are not, assuming everyone wins out. Florida can't pull so far ahead of Kansas St. and Oregon to make conference champ criteria irrelevant. Any two loss SEC teams are absolutely hopeless in a playoff scenario, unless Oregon and Kansas St. lose again, and badly enough that they fall outside of the top 6.

This whole thing is most unfriendly to the SEC and the SECCG. It's a absolute extra round of playoffs, which Kansas St. and Notre Dame do not have to endure. There's no way under the future playoff structure that the loser is still in play, the loss alone might not have done it (if, for instance Oregon and Kansas St. slip up again), but the non-conference champ part is sure to toss them out. So, the SEC plays a three round playoff, and Kansas St. and Notre Dame play a two round playoff. That's fair, right?

I love how sheep just automatically assume a playoff makes things better. Show me how it does. Honestly, show me how the past two weeks really matter with this four team playoff. A lot of what I'm seeing here is operating under the false assumption that there is no conference champ criteria, like people missed that part of the playoff. It's there, and if you think it won't matter, look at the NCAA tournament's automatic inclusion of conference champs, or division champs automatic inclusions in other sports. They included it because they don't want the SEC having two teams in, and this year it would absolutely come into play.

Not this again LOL! Oh well go for it!

BamaNation First Team Tider n LA's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Why do people still argue that the regular season won't mean as much anymore with a 4 team playoff? It isn't like the NFL where you can lose 7 games and win your division and make the playoffs. Only 4 out of 120 teams can make the playoff. That is .03% chance you get in. I think the regular season is still very huge. You better not lose more than one game.

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Get over it! It's gonna happen, just like 16 team conferences.
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by JD95 View Post
    When we do get into the playoff era, I'm going to love it when all 4 slots go to SEC schools. Among the anti-BCS faction are many people who think that a playoff system (even a four team one) will diminish the probability of getting a SEC national champion. It won't.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

and with the inevitable 8, 12 and 16 team playoffs in the next 2 decades or so, it'll be NFL-lite. Granted, NFL playoffs are often great games, but come on....days like yesterday were AWESOME

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar

I was thinking last night that in the playoff era, I am probably asleep instead of watching Oregon and Kansas State, since Alabama would already be in the playoff with an SEC CG win.