Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 49
  1. #14
    BamaNation First Team Stonewall1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bonaire, Georgia
    Posts
    286
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

    Re: Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be like this with a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    When we do get into the playoff era, I'm going to love it when all 4 slots go to SEC schools. Among the anti-BCS faction are many people who think that a playoff system (even a four team one) will diminish the probability of getting a SEC national champion. It won't.
    Agree. After the BCS ranking come out today there will probably be 3 SEC teams in the top 4. Can see the SEC year after year with at least two teams in the playoffs. Should mean that we see more all SEC championship games and the rest of the country will lose their minds.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #15
    BamaNation All-American KrAzY3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,143
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com
    Thread Starter

    Re: Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be like this with a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    When we do get into the playoff era, I'm going to love it when all 4 slots go to SEC schools. Among the anti-BCS faction are many people who think that a playoff system (even a four team one) will diminish the probability of getting a SEC national champion. It won't.
    Statistically it does and is designed to do just that. The conference champ criteria was fought over, and resisted by the SEC. Ultimately the Big 12 backed it and the SEC was forced into a playoff that included it. This is huge, and once again we can't just wish it away. It's there, it will be there, and it wouldn't be there unless it was to do something. That something is to favor conference champs over non-conference champs.

    It is not coincidence that this occurs in the aftermath of Alabama winning the BCS as a non-conference champ. It was an immediate response. Anyway, what this does is simple, it does mathematically lower the SEC's chances. Take this year for instance, Alabama has an inside track to the BCSCG game. It's not that simple, but let's call that a 50% chance of the SEC winning the championship.

    Well, you expand to four teams and Florida should also have an inside track. Whooops, not conference champ. So, Kansas St. and Oregon have an inside track. The chances go from 50%, to 25%. That won't matter some years, but it will make a difference and it's exactly why they all ganged up on the SEC and did it! I'm astounded that some people are still oblivious to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall1959 View Post
    Agree. After the BCS ranking come out today there will probably be 3 SEC teams in the top 4. Can see the SEC year after year with at least two teams in the playoffs. Should mean that we see more all SEC championship games and the rest of the country will lose their minds.
    Conference Champion Criteria
    The old BCS formula will not exist.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; November 18th, 2012 at 08:40 AM.

  4. #16
    BamaNation First Team CrimSonami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ardmore, AL; Too close to 10RC
    Posts
    739
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy on TideFans.com

    Re: Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be like this with a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by but the non-conference champ part is sure to toss them out. So, the SEC plays a three round playoff, and Kansas St. and Notre Dame play a two round playoff. That's fair, right?

    [U
    I love how sheep just automatically assume a playoff makes things better.[/U] Show me how it does. Honestly, show me how the past two weeks really matter with this four team playoff. A lot of what I'm seeing here is operating under the false assumption that there is no conference champ criteria, like people missed that part of the playoff. It's there, and if you think it won't matter, look at the NCAA tournament's automatic inclusion of conference champs, or division champs automatic inclusions in other sports. They included it because they don't want the SEC having two teams in, and this year it would absolutely come into play.
    Yep. You are exactly right. Growing pains of a new/revised system. The selection commitee and it's current structure are gonna take some hits during the first few years. Definitely has anti-SEC undertones at this point. Most of us understand that. We still gotta win when we have to and get a little help from time to time such as Okie State last year and #'s 1 & 2 falling last night. And we ain't outa the woods yet. It ain't fair in some regards but it's the Major CFB dollars driving the bus and choosing where to stop, who to let off and who to let on.

    RTR!!!

  5. #17
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    1,725
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be like this with a playoff

    Wow, some people just want to complain about every single thing. Conference championships will be a factor, and they should be. But once you get three strong conference champions in, I think there will be a real effort to make sure that 4th team is the best of who's left out there. And more often than not, I think that will be an SEC team.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!

  6. #18
    BamaNation All-American KrAzY3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,143
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com
    Thread Starter

    Re: Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be like this with a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by JD95 View Post
    Conference championships will be a factor, and they should be. But once you get three strong conference champions in, I think there will be a real effort to make sure that 4th team is the best of who's left out there. And more often than not, I think that will be an SEC team.
    Oh, so the conference champion criteria only matters for the top three. I missed that part, I was worried for a little while. Thanks for pointing that out because I was thinking it applied to all four teams, silly me.

  7. #19
    BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sylacauga, AL
    Posts
    2,397
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

    Re: Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be like this with a playoff

    By the way... Oregon, unless Stanford is upset by Cal, won't be in their conference championship game...

  8. #20
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    1,725
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be like this with a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Oh, so the conference champion criteria only matters for the top three. I missed that part, I was worried for a little while. Thanks for pointing that out because I was thinking it applied to all four teams, silly me.
    Let's just watch what happens in a couple of years. No where does it say all 4 teams must be conferences champs -- it's just a factor. If that system had been in place last year, even with the conference champion factor, Alabama still would have gotten a spot. It's hard to say how this year will look with so many games left to play, but given the current rankings the SEC would have a great shot at a second team again this year. But you go ahead and rant about it for the next 24 months, along with rants about fans not satisfying you're expectations for stadium intensity, and whatever else you think is wrong with the Alabama program and college football in general.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!

  9. #21
    BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be like this with a playoff

    We will have to wait and see. I will not waste my time worrying about a problem that doesn't exist, and may never exist.

  10. #22
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,236
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be like this with a playoff

    Why in the world can't we do a playoff with these 8 teams?

    Conference champ from SEC, Pac12, Big 12, Big 10 and ACC
    3 at-large teams ranked the highest who are not conference champs?

    Each round seeded with highest ranking matched to lowest ranking.

    Fairly simple. You don't get in, you have no excuse.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

  11. #23
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,236
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be like this with a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Oh, so the conference champion criteria only matters for the top three. I missed that part, I was worried for a little while. Thanks for pointing that out because I was thinking it applied to all four teams, silly me.
    Currently BCS only guarantees #1 and #2 matchup. I think they've done that for the most part better than any other system.

    4 team playoff only guarantees #1, 2, 3, 4 are in. I think this will be better.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

  12. #24
    BamaNation All-American KrAzY3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,143
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com
    Thread Starter

    Re: Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be like this with a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by JD95 View Post
    Let's just watch what happens in a couple of years. No where does it say all 4 teams must be conferences champs -- it's just a factor. If that system had been in place last year, even with the conference champion factor, Alabama still would have gotten a spot.
    Message boards are for discussion. If it was all us agreeing with each other, what would be we discussing?

    I agree with this part of your statement. Alabama was #2, I do not see them dropping them all the way out last year. However, they clearly would have moved Okie St. ahead. However, Florida is in a different position and as things stand they are highly likely to be out. Of course there is a wait and see aspect, but there's no need to be naive. The SEC fought against it, it was added anyway. There will be repercussions and if it has 0 impact, then all that fuss over it was pointless and I doubt they all got together and said let's argue over nothing because it will make us look good.

    Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    Currently BCS only guarantees #1 and #2 matchup. I think they've done that for the most part better than any other system.

    4 team playoff only guarantees #1, 2, 3, 4 are in. I think this will be better.
    I agree with the first part of your statement. And, while I don't like a playoff in college football, I could see your argument for 1-4 being better. But, they put criteria in that works contrary to that and I don't think they would have done that if they didn't want to toss out the BCS selection process for the top 4. They could have kept it, instead it's committee with conference champs as criteria. It can't work like it did before, it can't just be the next two teams in the BCS standings or else they would have left the selection part as is.

    I understand the point to saying let's just wait, but my point is that things will never be like this again.

  13. #25
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Shonto, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    11,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be like this with a playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Message boards are for discussion. If it was all us agreeing with each other, what would be we discussing?

    I agree with this part of your statement. Alabama was #2, I do not see them dropping them all the way out last year. However, they clearly would have moved Okie St. ahead. However, Florida is in a different position and as things stand they are highly likely to be out. Of course there is a wait and see aspect, but there's no need to be naive. The SEC fought against it, it was added anyway. There will be repercussions and if it has 0 impact, then all that fuss over it was pointless and I doubt they all got together and said let's argue over nothing because it will make us look good.


    I agree with the first part of your statement. And, while I don't like a playoff in college football, I could see your argument for 1-4 being better. But, they put criteria in that works contrary to that and I don't think they would have done that if they didn't want to toss out the BCS selection process for the top 4. They could have kept it, instead it's committee with conference champs as criteria. It can't work like it did before, it can't just be the next two teams in the BCS standings or else they would have left the selection part as is.

    I understand the point to saying let's just wait, but my point is that things will never be like this again.
    And I think we all get your "point" that you've made! Many, just don't agree and that's fine!

  14. #26
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Jacksonville, Md USA
    Posts
    15,010
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

    Re: Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be like this with a playoff

    True, it will be different but it will be better also.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!