Enjoy it while it lasts, it won't be like this with a playoff

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Man, I cant believe why some would rather focus on the anxiety of how the SEC potentially gets screwed 2 years from now rather than focus on the fact the SEC controls its own destiny again in regards to BCSNCG...

Have you not looked at the polls lately? The SEC occupies over 60% of the top 10! In the future the selection committee's 1a and 1b priorities will be to put the most deserving teams in the playoff and make sure these selections are compelling for TV. You wont see a No. 12 ranked Big 10 champ playing or a No. 10 ranked ACC champ playing in the playoff against a No. 1 and No. 2 ranked team. Its a criteria - not a requirement - that teams be conference champs. The committee will have discretion on this.

I dont see anyway that a 4-team playoff somehow diminishes the regular season at all. If anything it helps it. You will likely see stronger interconference games going forward as teams try to build their national appeal. The current system, which for the most part seems to get it right simply because teams cant take of business on the field is probably more unfair given the strength of schedule disparity. Currently, the SEC has to go through its schedule unbeaten to get the same consideration as teams from other conferences. How is that fair? The only reason the SEC with has had its success the last 6 years is because other teams from across the country have lost games in their weaker conferences late in the season and everyone respects the SEC conference strength thus propelling them back into the championship game. Regardless of who is better, one loss SEC teams will get left out of the game under the current system. With a playoff, their right to play for it will be protected.

While I am glad that we won the NCG last year, I dont propose it as a way to repeatedly win the game. We should aspire to win our conference championship to get to the game. I have no problem with the higher standard. The SEC has already proven that it is up to the challenge.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Man, I cant believe why some would rather focus on the anxiety of how the SEC potentially gets screwed 2 years from now rather than focus on the fact the SEC controls its own destiny again in regards to BCSNCG...

Have you not looked at the polls lately? The SEC occupies over 60% of the top 10! In the future the selection committee's 1a and 1b priorities will be to put the most deserving teams in the playoff and make sure these selections are compelling for TV. You wont see a No. 12 ranked Big 10 champ playing or a No. 10 ranked ACC champ playing in the playoff against a No. 1 and No. 2 ranked team. Its a criteria - not a requirement - that teams be conference champs. The committee will have discretion on this.

I dont see anyway that a 4-team playoff somehow diminishes the regular season at all. If anything it helps it. You will likely see stronger interconference games going forward as teams try to build their national appeal. The current system, which for the most part seems to get it right simply because teams cant take of business on the field is probably more unfair given the strength of schedule disparity. Currently, the SEC has to go through its schedule unbeaten to get the same consideration as teams from other conferences. How is that fair? The only reason the SEC with has had its success the last 6 years is because other teams from across the country have lost games in their weaker conferences late in the season and everyone respects the SEC conference strength thus propelling them back into the championship game. Regardless of who is better, one loss SEC teams will get left out of the game under the current system. With a playoff, their right to play for it will be protected.

While I am glad that we won the NCG last year, I dont propose it as a way to repeatedly win the game. We should aspire to win our conference championship to get to the game. I have no problem with the higher standard. The SEC has already proven that it is up to the challenge.
I care about Alabama, not the SEC.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
I was thinking how sad it is that a playoff is coming too. I couldn't help but get a little wistful after it was all. There's no was I would have been on the edge of my seat last night watching those games if there was a plus 1 this season, and I probably wouldn't have watched K-State v. Baylor at all.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Well, so do I but it seems silly to sit here waste ink on why we think this system or the new system is unfair to us exclusively. By and large any SEC team with one loss would likely get treated the same way as we would by all the other media across the country...

Sabine Free Sta

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 3, 2012
I guess you missed the conference champ criteria. That shoots all kinds of holes in what you just said. They already stated the criteria. It's not rock solid, you can get in without it, but in a mess of one loss teams you know the criteria will come into play, why else have it?

So, the past two weeks nothing, absolutely nothing, would have changed in terms of who is in a playoff. You just shuffled the seeding around. Kansas St. and Oregon would still have the inside track. This whole pretend intrigue thing is absolutely blown to bits by the conference champ criteria. When the rest of the top ten is SEC, the other top teams are golden.

Florida is the team that should be in play, but with a playoff they are not, assuming everyone wins out. Florida can't pull so far ahead of Kansas St. and Oregon to make conference champ criteria irrelevant. Any two loss SEC teams are absolutely hopeless in a playoff scenario, unless Oregon and Kansas St. lose again, and badly enough that they fall outside of the top 6.

This whole thing is most unfriendly to the SEC and the SECCG. It's a absolute extra round of playoffs, which Kansas St. and Notre Dame do not have to endure. There's no way under the future playoff structure that the loser is still in play, the loss alone might not have done it (if, for instance Oregon and Kansas St. slip up again), but the non-conference champ part is sure to toss them out. So, the SEC plays a three round playoff, and Kansas St. and Notre Dame play a two round playoff. That's fair, right?

I love how sheep just automatically assume a playoff makes things better. Show me how it does. Honestly, show me how the past two weeks really matter with this four team playoff. A lot of what I'm seeing here is operating under the false assumption that there is no conference champ criteria, like people missed that part of the playoff. It's there, and if you think it won't matter, look at the NCAA tournament's automatic inclusion of conference champs, or division champs automatic inclusions in other sports. They included it because they don't want the SEC having two teams in, and this year it would absolutely come into play.
I appreciate a lively discussion and those who initiate them. However, I do not appreciate being called a sheep because my opinion happens to coincide with the majority.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
And I think we all get your "point" that you've made! Many, just don't agree and that's fine!
Well, in my defense I have only started one topic about Auburn during my time on this board. :)

Good points--but remember Stanford and UCLA have the inside track on the PAC 12 not Oregon.
I actually forgot that one of Stanford's losses was out of conference. It does change what I said a bit, since it now makes it more of a toss up between Florida and Oregon. I just woke up this morning and it occurred to me that all the drama of the past two weeks might have merely had seeding implications in a playoff, and that was a bit of a shock to me. Even if that's not the case this year, it is going to happen on some years. And I guess that's what some people want, less late season drama.

I appreciate a lively discussion and those who initiate them. However, I do not appreciate being called a sheep because my opinion happens to coincide with the majority.
There is a price to be paid for posting stuff in the few minutes I have before heading out, and that lies in my being curt. Having said that, I did see a few people that seemed oblivious to the conference championship part of a four team playoff. I think that's because the media is shepherding along the notion that a playoff will be perfect, and we'll all like the results. SEC fans imagine getting 2 or more teams, Big 10, Big 12, and Pac-12 fans imagine getting in every single years. WAC and Big East fans imagine they get an undefeated team in. The new system will have the same level of angst with the selections, but for right now the grass is greener to most...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I was thinking how sad it is that a playoff is coming too. I couldn't help but get a little wistful after it was all. There's no was I would have been on the edge of my seat last night watching those games if there was a plus 1 this season, and I probably wouldn't have watched K-State v. Baylor at all.
But if O & KS had not lost, with a playoff we are probably in, without playoff we are out. I will gladly trade that for the excitement of seeing other teams play.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.