Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Alabama "Small" Crowd yesterday

Speaking of Calloway, he needs the ball. Kid is a play maker. He needs reps.
    ROLL TIDE!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American Crimson Flyboy's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Re: Alabama "Small" Crowd yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by ChesapeakeTide View Post
    I disagree... For a lot of fans there's a lot more cost involved in going to the game than just having a ticket.
    Quite true. Gas to get to the game can be very expensive, gas is well over $3.00 per gallon. Parking can cost $20 to $30. Food adds up for a family with children. And for a couple with children it can be very difficult to spend a full day on the road without the youngins going crazy.
    שלום
    Pax
    Peace

"The sole object and only legitimate end of government is to protect the citizen in the enjoyment of life, liberty, and property, and when the government assumes other functions, it is usurpation and oppression."

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for the sake of mine."

"Any man who strives for free inquiry, free thought, and self ownership is my brother and countryman."

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar

This would never happen at Aubren.

BamaNation Second Team bamajammer's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE24 View Post
    you either weren't there or you are kidding yourself. The student section was less than half full and the rest of the stadium was at least 80%.

Students don't have to travel, the should be there for ALL the games, not just the "big" ones. I have had season tickets for 9 years and the students section is only full for 1-2 games a year, but I have never seen it that empty. Until the students fill their section for every game they do not need to complain about not having enough tickets.
    The lower bowl of the student section wasn't even 1/3 full, and their side of the upper deck was empty. The student's support was abysmal at best. My niece and her boyfriend are students and explained that noone wants to sit in the upper deck. I pointed out to them that our tickets as well as both of their parent's tickets are in U3 (where they sat before being students.) They defended themselves by saying "well that's different." Really? How? The upper deck tickets should be taken away and sold to people on the years long waiting list.

And yes I drove 3 1/2 hours both ways to attend that early morning cupcake game because I, too, went to see Alabama play!

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    I shouldn't argue this but I guess I will...

...if you want to blame someone, blame the local Tuscaloosans were didn't bother looking for a scalped ticket. But I don't blame a single fan for not driving an hour or more for a glorified scrimmage the weekend before a major holiday, in a terrible economy, when most students have skipped town (and class), etc. etc.

But Roll Tide, y'all.
    Yeah, blame us... Whatever dude.

I was there. Took my son to his first Bama game. He didn't care who we were playing, he just loved watching the Tide play.
    "Touch dat thang folk!"
    -Cortney Upshaw

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    I know it was WCU but the crowd was very light yesterday. Student section was extremely light. I was upset. Yes we lost to aTm but we had so much to play for. It did get better and then I took my shades off and so all the empty seats. I hope it changes next week, or we may lose.

But seriously, what's wrong with our fans? Was the early kick, the loss, the opponent, or all
    Of the above?
    Sure would be nice if our fans got this upset about not packing out basketball games.

We can't even pack out a 15,000 seat arena against a big SEC opponent and we're upset that we're only a 90% capacity against a 1-9 FCS team for an 11AM kickoff?
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by bamacon View Post
    Yeah, blame us... Whatever dude.

I make my statement based on my years living and working in Tuscaloosa outside of school and even on some family who never attend games (but gump hard on gameday!). I found myself around plenty of diehards, Tide Pride members, etc. but also around tons of bandwagon fans who never darken the door of BDS or (heaven forbid) Coleman Colosseum even if tickets were very, very cheap. My wife and I had to turn down free tickets to the game because the cost of gas, food, drinks and incidentals would have just been too much stress on our budget this much. Lord knows I wish my financial house were in better order than it is now, but it is what it is. I imagine others find themselves in the same situation and I think it explains why many stay home for such games, especially late in the season.

Look, all things being equal, if you're discussing why people don't show up in large enough numbers to a weak OOC game, I think it's more fair to fuss at those fans who live in closer proximity to the venue and don't have to incur the costs of gas, meals, sitters, time, opportunity cost, etc. I just don't think it fair to lambaste our fan base across the board, but instead encourage people who can make the journey with more ease than fans who live further away. I also think that when we compare attendance to other schools - UGA, LSU, UF, FSU, etc. - we're dealing with schools that have a much larger population in close proximity to the stadium and have easier routes in and out of town. (UGA being the notable exception). I realize some of our fans don't mind the traffic or the drive or whatever, but a lot of folks do - cut them some slack.

In the abstract, I agree with every complaint. I don't like that our fans aren't loud enough or leave early or don't come to every game. But on the ground - in the day to day reality - I know that I am dealing with two young kids, a wife running her own business that she's trying to get off the ground, debt, saving for a house, a job that is tiring, I like not being exhausted on Sundays, etc. etc. etc. And if I may step up on my high horse for a moment, I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to others.
    Last edited by CrimsonProf; November 18th, 2012 at 07:23 PM.

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I would love to come to every game but it's a 10 hour drive. This is the only year we have not made it up, so I'm sorry for not doing my part.
    the family wanted to come to the aTm game but upper level was $300 a piece that's for 5 of us. Hey $1500 bucks plus, plus, plus is just to much.

I don't care who we play I love to see the Tide & the time is not an issue but tickets still on stub hub or aaatix was $175 for lower level.

Im not driving that distance to sit where I can not see the game, sorry but that's me.

For all of you who went & stayed, Thank You this team deserves the support.

We were in the Swamp yesterday to Jax State take on the Gators. There were a lot of empty seats, especially in the parts of the upper deck I could see from my seat. The crowd was not nearly as loud and rowdy as they would have been if they had been playing us or LSU.

So it isn't omly Bama fans who don't turn out for glorified scrimmages.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    My Mood
    Brooding on TideFans.com

The University has sent an e-mail asking students to show up and stay until the end of the game.
    The upper deck student section had about 20 people in it. The frat section was very lightly attended.
    The crimson seats in the north end zone (just below the boxes) never reached 1/4 filled.
    The crowd was so quiet (other than when reacting to scores) it was eerie. Like a funeral.
    Very weak opponent. Early kick. Sandwiched between two highly regarded games.

BamaNation First Team

I love Bama, just as I'm sure we all do. I'm getting old as well, but not too old to forget my time at the Capstone...and here's what I remember: as much as I loved the school and the team, football was the second thing on my mind on Saturday. Sorry. That's not likely to change.

BamaNation All-American RammerJammer14's Avatar
    My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE24 View Post
    you either weren't there or you are kidding yourself. The student section was less than half full and the rest of the stadium was at least 80%.

Students don't have to travel, the should be there for ALL the games, not just the "big" ones. I have had season tickets for 9 years and the students section is only full for 1-2 games a year, but I have never seen it that empty. Until the students fill their section for every game they do not need to complain about not having enough tickets.
    Whatever dude. All the upper decks had about 40% shiny silver showing, except where there were red chair backs. I'll split the difference and give you 30%. I've never seen such poor turnout the whole time I've been at bama for the entire stadium either, but pointing the finger at students is throwing boulders through your glass house.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."