Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alabama "Small" Crowd yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by tide rider View Post
    We needed a bye week so instead we had this game. Get over yourself.
    There is zero excuse for the SEC to have such a weak conference schedule this late in the season. There were three conference games yesterday. Outside of that, only Mizzou played a D-1A school (Syracuse), while the other seven SEC teams all played D1-AA. It's not entirely the schools fault. Almost every other school was playing a conference game yesterday. Playing the D1-AA teams, if it must be done, should be played in the first 2-3 weeks of the season, IMO. Give us exciting matchups this time of year.

And just for the record, I was at the game start to finish.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Alabama "Small" Crowd yesterday

I drive 3 1/2 hours one way every weekend for games. Wasn't doing that for Western Carolina. It was opening weekend of gun season. I took my son hunting.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer14 View Post
    Please. The student section was just as empty as the rest of the stadium. The whole place was no more than 60% full. Regular seats are assigned though so it doesn't show up as easily. Lets stop blaming the students for every single empty seat in the stadium after every game.

60%?? Were you near Tuscaloosa or is a Moo in order? The upper student section was sparse because of the well-documented lower-level crowding but other sections were 90-100% full.

BamaNation First Team CrimsonDollar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by AngryEwok View Post
    Want a better crowd? Don't lose games you shouldn't and don't schedule 1-9 teams.
    Western Carolina was 0-0 for the season when we scheduled them. Regardless, we needed a 'cupcake' game to break up the grind of the schedule we have to endure in the SEC. Plus, it was cool to see Blake Sims run the zone read offense with some success.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf
    I'm being a jerk here, I know
    Yes.

...but there's 100,000 people in Tuscaloosa.
    True. Thirty-two percent of that population is below the poverty level, and another percentage has to help support the infrastructure that is required to host an event as large as Alabama football games are. Restaurant workers, bartenders, Police, Department of Transportation workers, etc. all have to work during these events. Furthermore, not everyone that lives in Tuscaloosa is a 'Bama fan, or even a football fan (blasphemy, right?).

I think it's more fair to fuss at those fans who live in closer proximity to the venue and don't have to incur the costs of gas, meals, sitters, time, opportunity cost, etc.
    Though not as great as someone traveling from out of town, residents of Tuscaloosa incur ALL of these costs. In my own experience, by working Saturday instead of going to the game I was able to net ~$1200. Clearly I should have done my duty as an Alabama fan and gone to the game instead.

The point is, it's not like the [approximately] 100,000 people living in Tuscaloosa can all drop what they're doing to go to a football game.

Fuss at the bandwagon fans who live fifteen minutes from the stadium, but don't make blanket accusations about our fanbase.
    I don't appreciate the implication that I'm being lazy by not attending the game simply because I live closer to the Stadium. And blanket statements about the residents of a city is no different than blanket statements about a fanbase.

The bottom line is that I hate seeing empty seats as much as anyone else does, and I don't like the impression that it may give recruits. But I also don't like the finger pointing and pervasive condescending attitude of fans that either a) live too far away to justify the trip but think others should feel obligated to step up in their absence, or b) have the means to go to all of the games and somehow don't understand that others can't justify the expense.

I live here. I'm as much of an Alabama fan as you'll find. I was able to go to one game this year (Michigan), and that was all I got. Every other gameday I am at work, and my case is NOT unique.

BamaNation First Team The Playmaker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Well I'm a student and didn't make the game because well it was Western Carolina, a 11 a.m. start, and it had nothing to do with us losing the week before. Since my freshman year (2010) I only missed 2 games and the other was last year against Georgia Southern when I was sick and never wanted to leave my bed again.

Some other guys I know already left for Thanksgiving, others didn't care to get up early for an easy win, and well others were hungover from night before. There's nothing to look into it's the weekend before Thanksgiving and playing a crap team at the earliest possible time.

BamaNation First Team The Playmaker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    Sure would be nice if our fans got this upset about not packing out basketball games.

We can't even pack out a 15,000 seat arena against a big SEC opponent and we're upset that we're only a 90% capacity against a 1-9 FCS team for an 11AM kickoff?
    As much as I love basketball and attend as many games as possible most fans aren't going to drive an hour plus to catch a basketball game when we're in football country. As much as I would love getting sell outs for basketball more often, the crowds won't appear until we start winning more.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonDollar View Post
    Western Carolina was 0-0 for the season when we scheduled them. Regardless, we needed a 'cupcake' game to break up the grind of the schedule we have to endure in the SEC. Plus, it was cool to see Blake Sims run the zone read offense with some success.

Yes.

True. Thirty-two percent of that population is below the poverty level, and another percentage has to help support the infrastructure that is required to host an event as large as Alabama football games are. Restaurant workers, bartenders, Police, Department of Transportation workers, etc. all have to work during these events. Furthermore, not everyone that lives in Tuscaloosa is a 'Bama fan, or even a football fan (blasphemy, right?).

Though not as great as someone traveling from out of town, residents of Tuscaloosa incur ALL of these costs. In my own experience, by working Saturday instead of going to the game I was able to net ~$1200. Clearly I should have done my duty as an Alabama fan and gone to the game instead.

The point is, it's not like the [approximately] 100,000 people living in Tuscaloosa can all drop what they're doing to go to a football game.

I don't appreciate the implication that I'm being lazy by not attending the game simply because I live closer to the Stadium. And blanket statements about the residents of a city is no different than blanket statements about a fanbase.

The bottom line is that I hate seeing empty seats as much as anyone else does, and I don't like the impression that it may give recruits. But I also don't like the finger pointing and pervasive condescending attitude of fans that either a) live too far away to justify the trip but think others should feel obligated to step up in their absence, or b) have the means to go to all of the games and somehow don't understand that others can't justify the expense.

I live here. I'm as much of an Alabama fan as you'll find. I was able to go to one game this year (Michigan), and that was all I got. Every other gameday I am at work, and my case is NOT unique.
    Thanks for the response - I'm heading out the door to work, but we probably agree more than we disagree. More later.

RTR

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Playmaker View Post
    As much as I love basketball and attend as many games as possible most fans aren't going to drive an hour plus to catch a basketball game when we're in football country. As much as I would love getting sell outs for basketball more often, the crowds won't appear until we start winning more.

We've won an awful lot of basketball the last two years.

BamaNation All-American 2003TIDE's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by J4Bama View Post
    I was very disappointed with the attendance also. Obviously, we don't take football serious as some like to say. I'm watching the UGA/Ga Southern replay right now and it looks like they have a full house. Not sure what our problem is.
    LOL at this. You really think that was all UGA fans that packed the stadium? Think about it for a minute.....

BamaNation All-American We_are_Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

There really is no need to worry so much over this. It was Western Carolina, for pete's sake. I promise that THIS upcoming Saturday will be entirely different. If given the choice between going to a game vs. an FCS team, or going to the Iron Bowl (a game in which the SEC West is on the line for us, I might add), which one do you think people are going to pick? No offense to the OP, but this thread is a bit of a knee jerk reaction.
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

BamaNation All-American We_are_Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Tell me this. Was our game with Georgia Southern last year filled to capacity? How about two years ago on a Thursday night against Georgia State? Both of those were FCS teams played one week before the IB.
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Just want to point out that the A Day game (I know attendance is free bit it's far from Free for us) Still has more folks than any other school to see a practice.

Go on the road wherever even Duke, Bama fans travel well.

Its not been that long that Alabama added all the endzone upper section seats so in time you will see it full. They are just pricing me out of the market but it's because they are winning.

My Best Bama game experience was at Legion field Thanksgiving 1992 the Iron Bowl. We drove all night thru the worst rain ever, to get to a freezing cold Game. I will never forget it, it was worth it all.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

The opening day of gun season had a lot to do with not having a packed house but remember that playing a cup cake team before playing a rival especially when that rival is playing a cup cake team the same week end would have given an unfair advantage to one team or the other to have to play a tough opponent. If Bama had to play Tx. A&M the week before Albarn while Albarn played Ala A&M would have been unfair scheduling. No one would have guessed that Albarn was going to have such a crappy team this year. I'm afraind Bama will not have such an easy game against the Barn though as some might think. Remember the barn got up for LSU and had them playing for their life most of the game.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.