Do we seriously count LSU as a rival now?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Noticing a trend here... Are LSU fans becoming the new whiny Auburn fans when Bama wins or something goes in favor of Bama? I won't post a link but check out their forum in recent weeks. They have gotten as bad as a fan-base can get with this sort of thing. They consider us a "rival" ... do you consider them a rival? In the same way that Auburn or UT is? I honestly never have. I like to beat them kind of in the same way I like to beat Florida but that's about it.

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
LSU has been the better program and bigger threat to Alabama for a decade. So, I would consider that our bigger rival.

I expect it to continue, because Auburn will be behind us, LSU, A&M, and possibly Arky on a consistent basis in the West.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Given the circumstances of the battles and what they've meant over the past 5 years, they're quickly becoming one of our biggest "rivals".
While they don't have the history of the UT or AU's (in terms of being a "rival"), they, in the moment, are clearly one of our biggest games year in and year out..
The vitriole their fan bash has toward us has made things worse and the rivalry that much more intense.
With the Coach Saban connections and all... it sure is a great game and if the stakes remain as high as they have been the last handful of years, the game will continue to gain importance and be mentioned among the UT and AU games.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I consider it a healthy rivalry. I have no ill will toward LSU fans. In fact, I find them quite entertaining, and passionate. In order for it to be a rivalry, you've gotta win some. And LSU can lay claim to winning some against us over the past half decade. Not many other people can.

I don't think anyone will ever get close to the level of the UA/AU thing. Even the UT rivalry has died down some because they haven't won one against us since Shula's last season. And it's really only among the fans anyway. It's not nearly as volatile as it was

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
If we count rivals as teams that pose the biggest hurdle to our aspirations, then they have been a rival for quite some time. As a bonus, they know how to tailgate and are generally good, passionate folks who live for college football as much as we do.

I only wish our rivals could still contribute here. The quality LSU posters added so much.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
This was discussed a few months ago on TF and I think it came down to 80/20 saying "yes, they are rivals" in one sense or another.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
My wife and I were passing through Louisiana last night. We stopped for dinner at a classic hole-in-the-wall place in Shreveport called "Herby K's." The bar was decorated with "Beat Bama" and "Beat Saban" LSU signs. We overheard one of the employees say that her favorite experience in recent memory "was watching A&M beat Alabama."

They were all really nice people, but we didn't reveal we were from Alabama until AFTER the meal... ;-)

LSU: the new Tennessee?

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
On the field LSU is our toughest and in some ways our most important rival. As for their fans, they've become worse than the barners. I've read post from LSU fans and they whine more than any other fan base I've seen.

I still consider LSU our #3 rival behind the barn and Tennessee.

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN
The rivalry dates back to 1895, just three years after the inception of Alabama football. It has long been considered Bama's third most intense rivalry. Since 2000, they have been, without question, the Tide's fiercest adversary. Via Wikipedia: Alabama-LSU football rivalry.

I honestly can't believe this thread exists. Were you here in the early to mid-2000s? Did you watch the regular season game last season? Do you remember when they burned Saban effigies in 2008? Do you remember their fanbase mocking Prothro's injury? All of those instances bred some intense LSU hatred on my part. Yes, I hate LSU with a burning passion, but we all should at least show their football program the respect it deserves. They have built that into a powerhouse in recent years. I have no respect at all for our other rivals, Auburn and Tennessee. Neither of those teams intimidate at all and I don't respect their history. Ole Miss considers Alabama their second-biggest rival, as does Mississippi State. Neither of those teams are legitimate rivals. LSU most certainly is. I actually pull for Tennessee against them. In case you hadn't noticed, Bama has owned the Vols since 2000, posting an 8-4 record and winning the last six in a row by an average margin of three touchdowns.

Let's look at the stats from Saban's career

LSU vs Alabama 2007: LSU 41 - Alabama 34
Tennessee vs Alabama 2007: Alabama 41 - Tennessee 17

LSU vs Alabama 2008: Alabama 27 - LSU 21 OT
Tennessee vs Alabama 2008: Alabama 29 - Tennessee 9

LSU vs Alabama 2009: Alabama 24 - LSU 15
Tennessee vs Alabama 2009: Alabama 12 - Tennessee 10

LSU vs Alabama 2010: LSU 24 - Alabama 21
Tennessee vs Alabama 2010: Alabama 41 - Tennessee 10

LSU vs Alabama 2011 I: LSU 9 - Alabama 6 OT
Tennessee vs Alabama 2011: Alabama 37 - Tennessee 6

LSU vs Alabama 2011 II: Alabama 21 - LSU 0

LSU vs Alabama 2012: Alabama 21 - LSU 17
Tennessee vs Alabama 2012: Alabama 44 - Tennessee 13

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
For those of us that remember the Coach Bryant years, we consider LSU a rivalry. Bryant vs McClendon
LSU vs Bama was a big series in the early 1970s when both teams were ranked near the top of the polls for several years. LSU had future all-pro Burt Jones at QB and the games determined the winner of the SEC and right to play for a National Title. It was one of the few games that would be televised nationally. I lived in Boston from 1971-1973 and it was the Bama game that was televised nationally each year. The game made the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1972.

I am glad to see it regaining its status of rivalry game for the entire nation.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
how can you not count lsu as a rival. we dont like them, they dont like us and the games are super competitive and have had a major hand in winning the west.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Bama1985;2035567[COLOR=#333333 said:
It was one of the few games that would be televised nationally. I lived in Boston from 1971-1973 and it was the Bama game that was televised nationally each year. The game made the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1972.[/COLOR]
Yep...........some folks here might not be old enough to remember what life was like, pre-ESPN.

A lot of crappy games I could care less about watching. And missing a few Iron Bowls. So much for the "good ol' days". Weren't that good, when it came to being able to watch Bama, for those of us away from home.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
I simply believe it is the best rivalry in college football at the current time. There seems to be a lot at stake every time they play and I bet next years game will also be big.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
The rivalry dates back to 1895, just three years after the inception of Alabama football. It has long been considered Bama's third most intense rivalry. Since 2000, they have been, without question, the Tide's fiercest adversary. Via Wikipedia: Alabama-LSU football rivalry.

I honestly can't believe this thread exists. Were you here in the early to mid-2000s? Did you watch the regular season game last season? Do you remember when they burned Saban effigies in 2008? Do you remember their fanbase mocking Prothro's injury? All of those instances bred some intense LSU hatred on my part. Yes, I hate LSU with a burning passion, but we all should at least show their football program the respect it deserves. They have built that into a powerhouse in recent years. I have no respect at all for our other rivals, Auburn and Tennessee. Neither of those teams intimidate at all and I don't respect their history. Ole Miss considers Alabama their second-biggest rival, as does Mississippi State. Neither of those teams are legitimate rivals. LSU most certainly is. I actually pull for Tennessee against them. In case you hadn't noticed, Bama has owned the Vols since 2000, posting an 8-4 record and winning the last six in a row by an average margin of three touchdowns.

Let's look at the stats from Saban's career

LSU vs Alabama 2007: LSU 41 - Alabama 34
Tennessee vs Alabama 2007: Alabama 41 - Tennessee 17

LSU vs Alabama 2008: Alabama 27 - LSU 21 OT
Tennessee vs Alabama 2008: Alabama 29 - Tennessee 9

LSU vs Alabama 2009: Alabama 24 - LSU 15
Tennessee vs Alabama 2009: Alabama 12 - Tennessee 10

LSU vs Alabama 2010: LSU 24 - Alabama 21
Tennessee vs Alabama 2010: Alabama 41 - Tennessee 10

LSU vs Alabama 2011 I: LSU 9 - Alabama 6 OT
Tennessee vs Alabama 2011: Alabama 37 - Tennessee 6

LSU vs Alabama 2011 II: Alabama 21 - LSU 0

LSU vs Alabama 2012: Alabama 21 - LSU 17
Tennessee vs Alabama 2012: Alabama 44 - Tennessee 13
i don't get it either. if you start a thread to ask this question you are either a) in denial or b) don't know alabama football history.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.