Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Re: Do we seriously count LSU as a rival now?

Yes as a rival but not as our biggest rival. That will always be the Barn.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

For those of us that remember the Coach Bryant years, we consider LSU a rivalry. Bryant vs McClendon
    LSU vs Bama was a big series in the early 1970s when both teams were ranked near the top of the polls for several years. LSU had future all-pro Burt Jones at QB and the games determined the winner of the SEC and right to play for a National Title. It was one of the few games that would be televised nationally. I lived in Boston from 1971-1973 and it was the Bama game that was televised nationally each year. The game made the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1972.

I am glad to see it regaining its status of rivalry game for the entire nation.

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

how can you not count lsu as a rival. we dont like them, they dont like us and the games are super competitive and have had a major hand in winning the west.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

BamaNation All-American cuda.1973's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sick on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bama1985;2035567[COLOR=#333333
    It was one of the few games that would be televised nationally. I lived in Boston from 1971-1973 and it was the Bama game that was televised nationally each year. The game made the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1972.[/COLOR]
    Yep...........some folks here might not be old enough to remember what life was like, pre-ESPN.

A lot of crappy games I could care less about watching. And missing a few Iron Bowls. So much for the "good ol' days". Weren't that good, when it came to being able to watch Bama, for those of us away from home.
    "Mama called."

So, we took her home.

3/8/26-8/20/13

BamaNation First Team Tider n LA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

I simply believe it is the best rivalry in college football at the current time. There seems to be a lot at stake every time they play and I bet next years game will also be big.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCrusade View Post
    The rivalry dates back to 1895, just three years after the inception of Alabama football. It has long been considered Bama's third most intense rivalry. Since 2000, they have been, without question, the Tide's fiercest adversary. Via Wikipedia: Alabama-LSU football rivalry.

I honestly can't believe this thread exists. Were you here in the early to mid-2000s? Did you watch the regular season game last season? Do you remember when they burned Saban effigies in 2008? Do you remember their fanbase mocking Prothro's injury? All of those instances bred some intense LSU hatred on my part. Yes, I hate LSU with a burning passion, but we all should at least show their football program the respect it deserves. They have built that into a powerhouse in recent years. I have no respect at all for our other rivals, Auburn and Tennessee. Neither of those teams intimidate at all and I don't respect their history. Ole Miss considers Alabama their second-biggest rival, as does Mississippi State. Neither of those teams are legitimate rivals. LSU most certainly is. I actually pull for Tennessee against them. In case you hadn't noticed, Bama has owned the Vols since 2000, posting an 8-4 record and winning the last six in a row by an average margin of three touchdowns.

Let's look at the stats from Saban's career

LSU vs Alabama 2007: LSU 41 - Alabama 34
    Tennessee vs Alabama 2007: Alabama 41 - Tennessee 17

LSU vs Alabama 2008: Alabama 27 - LSU 21 OT
    Tennessee vs Alabama 2008: Alabama 29 - Tennessee 9

LSU vs Alabama 2009: Alabama 24 - LSU 15
    Tennessee vs Alabama 2009: Alabama 12 - Tennessee 10

LSU vs Alabama 2010: LSU 24 - Alabama 21
    Tennessee vs Alabama 2010: Alabama 41 - Tennessee 10

LSU vs Alabama 2011 I: LSU 9 - Alabama 6 OT
    Tennessee vs Alabama 2011: Alabama 37 - Tennessee 6

LSU vs Alabama 2011 II: Alabama 21 - LSU 0

LSU vs Alabama 2012: Alabama 21 - LSU 17
    Tennessee vs Alabama 2012: Alabama 44 - Tennessee 13
    i don't get it either. if you start a thread to ask this question you are either a) in denial or b) don't know alabama football history.

BamaNation All-SEC Crimsongator's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

No!
    from way down South in the Florida Swamps comes a mighty roar!

RRRRRROOOOOOOLLLLLLL T I D E ! ! ! ! !

I Remember 55 *JS*

The casual college football fan won't be shocked if Alabama is a ten-win type of team again simply because of the brand name, Alabama is supposed to be good,

No one is going to have a parade for an Alabama team that comes up short of a championship

The Last Time Florida……went undefeated…1911

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    Noticing a trend here... Are LSU fans becoming the new whiny Auburn fans when Bama wins or something goes in favor of Bama? I won't post a link but check out their forum in recent weeks. They have gotten as bad as a fan-base can get with this sort of thing. They consider us a "rival" ... do you consider them a rival? In the same way that Auburn or UT is? I honestly never have. I like to beat them kind of in the same way I like to beat Florida but that's about it.
    don't know where you have been, but they have been doin that for 40 years that I know of....they are not and should never be elevated to the status of Bama's "rival", IMO. That distinction should belong only to those teams who wear orange.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tider n LA View Post
    I simply believe it is the best rivalry in college football at the current time. There seems to be a lot at stake every time they play and I bet next years game will also be big.

With out question. How can it be denied? It's the game of the year between the best two teams in college football.
    The winner is ultimately going to play for the national title if they take care of other business.
    We still have to beat Auburn and Georgia. It's not a given, at all.
    We have to play some football.
    sip

BamaNation First Team BornABamaFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Absolutely a rival, but living in MS I would never tell LSU fans that here. They want to be Bama's biggest rival, and you can tell the ones here do not like the fact that Ole Miss is considered their biggest rival(they are above that). I always let them know that the game with them does not mean as much as AU,Tn, or even Ga. Plus I like to remind them that they have only beaten Alabama in Death Valley 4 times in my lifetime, LOL & I'm 42 years old. (However, having said that..... Living in MS, I DO consider them our biggest rival- but they will NEVER know that!(Sorry but LSU fans outnumber AU fans 15-1 where I am)

BamaNation All-American OreBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

I'm 33 years old, so here's my view of LSU. When I was growing up, I remember LSU being an important game, but in no way as important as AU and UT. It was a similiar feeling the Arkansas game is now in that they were good and could beat us, but they rarely did. It was game I looked forward to, but was never concerned about losing most times.

Fastforward to the 2000's and LSU has a top tier program that was maybe the best in the SEC. One great coach came and went and his replacement was pretty darned good too. Then we hired their old coach...

LSU is still very good and has some of their best teams ever and they are still behind Bama. They pine for Saban as much as they hate him. They transformed that hate into a psychotic vitriol. So you have a team in LSU that hates Alabama, our coach, and is also one of the top programs in the country. They share our division and we play them every year with direct National Title and recruiting implications. The games are brutal, physical, and usually the best game played in college football all year. Based on all that, I say LSU qualifies as a rival.
    Pronounced as or-e-bama not Obama.

Or Chris, if you prefer.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

EVERYONE considers themselves an "Alabama Rival"

Post Thanks / Like

The word "rivalry" in the context of college football means to me at least three things: (1) the two programs have been playing each other more or less continually for multiple decades; (2) there is relative parity between the two programs (i.e., in terms of championships, bowl wins, winning percentage, and national recognition generally.); (3) the two fan bases genuinely dislike each other. LSU qualifies on criterion #1. Regarding criterion #2, the matter is, I suppose, debatable. According to College Football Data Warehouse, LSU ranks #9 on the "All Time Team Rankings" list. (Alabama is ranked #1.) Since Tennessee is ranked # 10 on the same list and nobody would dispute that Tennessee is Alabama's rival, I will give LSU the benefit of the doubt on criterion #2. Regarding mutual animosity between the respective fan bases, my criterion #3, I do not think that LSU qualifies. LSU fans are, in my opinion, more humerous than hateful.