Do we seriously count LSU as a rival now?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Noticing a trend here... Are LSU fans becoming the new whiny Auburn fans when Bama wins or something goes in favor of Bama? I won't post a link but check out their forum in recent weeks. They have gotten as bad as a fan-base can get with this sort of thing. They consider us a "rival" ... do you consider them a rival? In the same way that Auburn or UT is? I honestly never have. I like to beat them kind of in the same way I like to beat Florida but that's about it.
don't know where you have been, but they have been doin that for 40 years that I know of....they are not and should never be elevated to the status of Bama's "rival", IMO. That distinction should belong only to those teams who wear orange.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I simply believe it is the best rivalry in college football at the current time. There seems to be a lot at stake every time they play and I bet next years game will also be big.

With out question. How can it be denied? It's the game of the year between the best two teams in college football.
The winner is ultimately going to play for the national title if they take care of other business.
We still have to beat Auburn and Georgia. It's not a given, at all.
We have to play some football.
sip

BornABamaFan

2nd Team
Nov 22, 2011
Brandon,MS
Absolutely a rival, but living in MS I would never tell LSU fans that here. They want to be Bama's biggest rival, and you can tell the ones here do not like the fact that Ole Miss is considered their biggest rival(they are above that). I always let them know that the game with them does not mean as much as AU,Tn, or even Ga. Plus I like to remind them that they have only beaten Alabama in Death Valley 4 times in my lifetime, LOL & I'm 42 years old. (However, having said that..... Living in MS, I DO consider them our biggest rival- but they will NEVER know that!(Sorry but LSU fans outnumber AU fans 15-1 where I am)

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I'm 33 years old, so here's my view of LSU. When I was growing up, I remember LSU being an important game, but in no way as important as AU and UT. It was a similiar feeling the Arkansas game is now in that they were good and could beat us, but they rarely did. It was game I looked forward to, but was never concerned about losing most times.

Fastforward to the 2000's and LSU has a top tier program that was maybe the best in the SEC. One great coach came and went and his replacement was pretty darned good too. Then we hired their old coach...

LSU is still very good and has some of their best teams ever and they are still behind Bama. They pine for Saban as much as they hate him. They transformed that hate into a psychotic vitriol. So you have a team in LSU that hates Alabama, our coach, and is also one of the top programs in the country. They share our division and we play them every year with direct National Title and recruiting implications. The games are brutal, physical, and usually the best game played in college football all year. Based on all that, I say LSU qualifies as a rival.

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
The word "rivalry" in the context of college football means to me at least three things: (1) the two programs have been playing each other more or less continually for multiple decades; (2) there is relative parity between the two programs (i.e., in terms of championships, bowl wins, winning percentage, and national recognition generally.); (3) the two fan bases genuinely dislike each other. LSU qualifies on criterion #1. Regarding criterion #2, the matter is, I suppose, debatable. According to College Football Data Warehouse, LSU ranks #9 on the "All Time Team Rankings" list. (Alabama is ranked #1.) Since Tennessee is ranked # 10 on the same list and nobody would dispute that Tennessee is Alabama's rival, I will give LSU the benefit of the doubt on criterion #2. Regarding mutual animosity between the respective fan bases, my criterion #3, I do not think that LSU qualifies. LSU fans are, in my opinion, more humerous than hateful.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I'm surprised by some of these comments. I guess our definition of rivalry is different, but IMO just because LSU has been our biggest hurdle doesn't mean they're necessarily a rival. From my point of view, we only have 2 true rivals, the Barn and Tennessee.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The LSU series has been very competititive for the last 30 yrs and I believe the road team actually has a decided edge during that time period. I would definitely consider them to be a rival.

BamafanNPC

3rd Team
Jan 3, 2007
Pell City, AL
I cant remember the year, but I use to play NCCA (99 or 00) football on my PS2, and during the season mode, UT, LSU, and the Barn were labeled rivals. I considered them somewhat of a rival because of the streak we had in Baton Rouge dating back to 69.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I cant remember the year, but I use to play NCCA (99 or 00) football on my PS2, and during the season mode, UT, LSU, and the Barn were labeled rivals. I considered them somewhat of a rival because of the streak we had in Baton Rouge dating back to 69.
Funny stuff. I vividly remember that then and they still do it. I also learned about the different rivalry trophies that exist.

The Playmaker

2nd Team
Jan 9, 2011
T-town
I definitely think they're a rival now, just look at the past couple of years and look at recruiting. These teams don't like each other and LSU really hates us after the game a few weeks ago. I've considered them a rival for a while now and rivalries can start because of the success of the programs and the big games they play in.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I can't describe it but Cajauns are Crazy. Kinda like being in a Evevator with someone acting weird.

Besides they eat things we would throw away. It's always a good game but 10rc & API have earned the hatred.

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
I'm 33 years old, so here's my view of LSU. When I was growing up, I remember LSU being an important game, but in no way as important as AU and UT. It was a similiar feeling the Arkansas game is now in that they were good and could beat us, but they rarely did. It was game I looked forward to, but was never concerned about losing most times.

Fastforward to the 2000's and LSU has a top tier program that was maybe the best in the SEC. One great coach came and went and his replacement was pretty darned good too. Then we hired their old coach...

LSU is still very good and has some of their best teams ever and they are still behind Bama. They pine for Saban as much as they hate him. They transformed that hate into a psychotic vitriol. So you have a team in LSU that hates Alabama, our coach, and is also one of the top programs in the country. They share our division and we play them every year with direct National Title and recruiting implications. The games are brutal, physical, and usually the best game played in college football all year. Based on all that, I say LSU qualifies as a rival.
Great post. I'm around the same age and see it the exact same way.

RTR '12!

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
How could you not consider LSU a rival? I mean, not like they're in the same division of the same conference as us. We certainly don't play each other very often.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
How could you not consider LSU a rival? I mean, not like they're in the same division of the same conference as us. We certainly don't play each other very often.
And it's not as if the games have had anything riding on them, or that they get national attention or anything. The fact that ESPN the Magazine did an entire issue on the game ... well that just goes to show how out of touch the media is.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

mswiggins123

Oct 7, 2012
I am a Bama graduate, but I live near Baton Rouge now. I can tell you that LSU considers us their chief rival.
There is no team that they want to beat more than Bama. The Bama/Saban hate is thick.
It is right up there with the most intense Alabama/Auburn hate.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I am a Bama graduate, but I live near Baton Rouge now. I can tell you that LSU considers us their chief rival.
There is no team that they want to beat more than Bama. The Bama/Saban hate is thick.
It is right up there with the most intense Alabama/Auburn hate.
I think it's artificial. They're trying anything to find something to rally around. There's nothing to say CNS wouldn't have gone back to LSU after discovering he didn't care much for the NFL. Even when he was at LSU doing well, I never thought ill of him or LSU. Well, it's ok if they consider us a rival but I just don't think of them that way. They're one of the few programs that are good and usually a trainwreck all at the same time.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
uburn and Tenc are old news/Old Rivalries...

LSU vaulted to the front when we hired Coach Saban. (LSU just wont give it a rest...)
LSU has been a great game for several years now, and they have by default became our #1 Rival.
We are the teams everybody hate.
We have the best & maybe second best coaches.(Sorry 'Freak').
I have one problem with LSU being our #1 Rival.
I don't hate LSU... (Maybe with more time) ;)

mswiggins123

Oct 7, 2012
I think it's artificial. They're trying anything to find something to rally around. There's nothing to say CNS wouldn't have gone back to LSU after discovering he didn't care much for the NFL. Even when he was at LSU doing well, I never thought ill of him or LSU. Well, it's ok if they consider us a rival but I just don't think of them that way. They're one of the few programs that are good and usually a trainwreck all at the same time.
If Saban had gone to say.... Texas or Ohio St, I don't think the hate would be so big. The big sin is that he went to Alabama.
They try to say that Saban lied to his recruits at LSU and left. Well all coaches do that. Les Miles lied to his recruits at OK St and came to LSU.

Most of the LSU fans do realize that it is Saban that turned LSU into a winning program. Les Miles has done a good job building on that.
But most LSU fans thinks Les Miles is an idiot... a winning idiot, but an idiot just the same.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.