Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Do we seriously count LSU as a rival now?

I'm surprised by some of these comments. I guess our definition of rivalry is different, but IMO just because LSU has been our biggest hurdle doesn't mean they're necessarily a rival. From my point of view, we only have 2 true rivals, the Barn and Tennessee.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Re: Do we seriously count LSU as a rival now?

The LSU series has been very competititive for the last 30 yrs and I believe the road team actually has a decided edge during that time period. I would definitely consider them to be a rival.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation First Team BamafanNPC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I cant remember the year, but I use to play NCCA (99 or 00) football on my PS2, and during the season mode, UT, LSU, and the Barn were labeled rivals. I considered them somewhat of a rival because of the streak we had in Baton Rouge dating back to 69.

BamaNation All-American OreBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamafanNPC View Post
    I cant remember the year, but I use to play NCCA (99 or 00) football on my PS2, and during the season mode, UT, LSU, and the Barn were labeled rivals. I considered them somewhat of a rival because of the streak we had in Baton Rouge dating back to 69.
    Funny stuff. I vividly remember that then and they still do it. I also learned about the different rivalry trophies that exist.
    Pronounced as or-e-bama not Obama.

Or Chris, if you prefer.

BamaNation First Team The Playmaker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I definitely think they're a rival now, just look at the past couple of years and look at recruiting. These teams don't like each other and LSU really hates us after the game a few weeks ago. I've considered them a rival for a while now and rivalries can start because of the success of the programs and the big games they play in.

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I can't describe it but Cajauns are Crazy. Kinda like being in a Evevator with someone acting weird.

Besides they eat things we would throw away. It's always a good game but 10rc & API have earned the hatred.

BamaNation First Team TidePride50's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Do we seriously count LSU as a rival now?

Quote Originally Posted by OreBama View Post
    I'm 33 years old, so here's my view of LSU. When I was growing up, I remember LSU being an important game, but in no way as important as AU and UT. It was a similiar feeling the Arkansas game is now in that they were good and could beat us, but they rarely did. It was game I looked forward to, but was never concerned about losing most times.

Fastforward to the 2000's and LSU has a top tier program that was maybe the best in the SEC. One great coach came and went and his replacement was pretty darned good too. Then we hired their old coach...

LSU is still very good and has some of their best teams ever and they are still behind Bama. They pine for Saban as much as they hate him. They transformed that hate into a psychotic vitriol. So you have a team in LSU that hates Alabama, our coach, and is also one of the top programs in the country. They share our division and we play them every year with direct National Title and recruiting implications. The games are brutal, physical, and usually the best game played in college football all year. Based on all that, I say LSU qualifies as a rival.
    Great post. I'm around the same age and see it the exact same way.

RTR '12!
    "Touch dat thang folk!"
    -Cortney Upshaw

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How could you not consider LSU a rival? I mean, not like they're in the same division of the same conference as us. We certainly don't play each other very often.
    RIP Hub

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rizolltizide View Post
    How could you not consider LSU a rival? I mean, not like they're in the same division of the same conference as us. We certainly don't play each other very often.
    And it's not as if the games have had anything riding on them, or that they get national attention or anything. The fact that ESPN the Magazine did an entire issue on the game ... well that just goes to show how out of touch the media is.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw on TideFans.com

Haven't we been through this A LOT already?

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170082

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114001
    http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95019
    http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78139

Every fan has their biggest rival. Mine will always be the Notre Dame nationally and Tennessee in conference. As fans like me die off LSU may become the true rival for future fans that those programs are for this fan.

BamaNation Scout Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a Bama graduate, but I live near Baton Rouge now. I can tell you that LSU considers us their chief rival.
    There is no team that they want to beat more than Bama. The Bama/Saban hate is thick.
    It is right up there with the most intense Alabama/Auburn hate.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by mswiggins123 View Post
    I am a Bama graduate, but I live near Baton Rouge now. I can tell you that LSU considers us their chief rival.
    There is no team that they want to beat more than Bama. The Bama/Saban hate is thick.
    It is right up there with the most intense Alabama/Auburn hate.
    I think it's artificial. They're trying anything to find something to rally around. There's nothing to say CNS wouldn't have gone back to LSU after discovering he didn't care much for the NFL. Even when he was at LSU doing well, I never thought ill of him or LSU. Well, it's ok if they consider us a rival but I just don't think of them that way. They're one of the few programs that are good and usually a trainwreck all at the same time.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

uburn and Tenc are old news/Old Rivalries...

LSU vaulted to the front when we hired Coach Saban. (LSU just wont give it a rest...)
    LSU has been a great game for several years now, and they have by default became our #1 Rival.
    We are the teams everybody hate.
    We have the best & maybe second best coaches.(Sorry 'Freak').
    I have one problem with LSU being our #1 Rival.
    I don't hate LSU... (Maybe with more time)