Can FSU become a BCSCG contender?

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I know the computers really hate FSU and their loss to NC State doesn't look good. On the other hand, Florida is ranked highly by humans and loved by the computers. Being stuck in Jacksonville, I'm exposed to lots of information about those teams and the concensus, even among most pro-Gator media, is that right now the Seminoles are a much better team than the Gators. Considering the struggles of Florida's offense, I tend to agree. If FSU beats Florida and then wins the ACC Championship (such as it is), how do you think the computers and voters will view the Seminoles? Could they jump high enough to be in the mix for the BCSCG?

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011
They are SO SO low in the computers they would likely need an insane combo of losses - another by KState, Oregon, LSU, maybe even South Carolina. That's on top of ND losing. Realistically, they can't pass ND, so their road tom the title game probably involves an SEC implosion. SC loses to Clemson, LSU to ?, Bama to AU, UGa to GT, plus Oregon and KState losses MIGHT put FSU up against ND. Texas A&M might be in that discussion too, though.

If they would have been a unanimous #1 in the human polls they still would have been like #6 in the BCS because the computers have them in the 20s.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
None at all. I think they have a chance to beat UF this week, but other than that "nothing"!

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Somehow, FSU did jump UF in the coaches poll & a win over UF would help them a lot in computers. Especially since the computers love UF - they were ranked ahead of unbeaten Oregon last week.

That being said, the only realistic way they get in is with a ND loss.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Somehow, FSU did jump UF in the coaches poll & a win over UF would help them a lot in computers. Especially since the computers love UF - they were ranked ahead of unbeaten Oregon last week.

That being said, the only realistic way they get in is with a ND loss.
And without Barkley, USC WILL NOT beat Notre Dame.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, if Oregon loses to Oregon State and Notre Dame loses to USC. This is, of course, assuming that FSU beats the Gators.

Either Alabama or Georgia will lose in the SECCG. FSU is #5. They just need to win and hope the people in front of them lose. A win over the Gators this late in the season would keep them ahead of KSU.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
And without Barkley, USC WILL NOT beat Notre Dame.
Agreed. The way USC has imploded, I'm not sure that they would have even won with him.

I'm surprised that more teams haven't carved up ND's secondary though. Before the season they lost their best DB and their secondary was already very thin before that. They were talking about having to move guys into the secondary that hadn't played the position.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
If they would have been a unanimous #1 in the human polls they still would have been like #6 in the BCS because the computers have them in the 20s.
That's amazing. Glad I'm not an FSU fan (for many reasons, but this is just the latest). For FSU to be a unanimous #1 in the human polls, they would need to be undefeated. That would have raised their computer numbers a bit, but since the loss was to NC State, it probably wouldn't have been a big jump. With the ACC rightfully rated so low by the computers, do you think an undefeated FSU might still be outside the top spot in the BCS poll?

I want to make it clear that I have no FSU agenda. What I do find interesting is that a major power might be able to go undefeated, yet not make the big game due to a really down year for their conference. The ACC has been much better, but when teams like Miami, UNC, and BC (among a couple of others) have bad years, the relatively successful seasons of Clemson and FSU don't seem to mean much. It seems that when a major conference has a really bad year --even a conference that has been and in other years might be one of the top 3 or 4 in football -- scheduling means everything. If being undefeated isn't good enough, Clemson and FSU can't afford to play the occasional cupcake outside of the ACC when the rest of their conference can be found in the pastry aisle as well. I'm wary of the selection by committee aspect of the upcoming playoff system, but this might be a reason to change the current formula. What if Clemson or FSU had been a genuine powerhouse stuck in this really down ACC? Would the computer rankings have prevented a BCS title shot, even with unanimous recognition from the human voters?

Last edited:

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Either Alabama or Georgia will lose in the SECCG. FSU is #5. They just need to win and hope the people in front of them lose. A win over the Gators this late in the season would keep them ahead of KSU.
It would also help their case significantly if Clemson can take out SCAR. A GT win over UGA might help, but only if UGA went on to beat Bama.

FSU's computer numbers would cease to hurt them with a win over UF and a Clemson win over SCAR.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
In the Coach's poll FSU has moved ahead of UF and this surely can't help them with a victory this week. Just a FYI I'm a FSU Alumnus, but once born Bama, always Bama!

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
We need to remember that FSU had a chance a few years back to join the SEC, but wanted no part of playing week to week in such a tough conference. So, there weak rankings are of their own making. I also have my concerns about the upcoming changes in selecting schools for the championship playoffs, but I also believe the new system wil not survive for long if the system does not place the best teams for those games. It is not a place for political correctness.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
. I also have my concerns about the upcoming changes in selecting schools for the championship playoffs, but I also believe the new system wil not survive for long if the system does not place the best teams for those games. It is not a place for political correctness.
I agree with this, as well. Avoiding the temptation to "level the playing field" by penalizing historically successful teams and conferences may prove difficult for some people. There are those who would love to claim they are bettering the competitive excitement of college football by publically emasculating big names and passing rules or making decisions that give the "little guy a chance." It won't be hard to appeal to those fans who have never or rarely experienced success by telling them that rules need to be passed to prevent the same group of teams from dominating the title process. It should be clear that the process used by any committee appointed to decide playoff participants is based on objective and measureable data. Their job should be finding the best four (or however many) teams, period. We need to be sure they are selecting a Final Four, not a version of March Madness.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
FSU doesn't have a shot unless....

Bama loses to the barn, beats UGA, UF loses to FSU, LSU loses to Arky, yada yada yada.

Not happening.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
If all of the other BCS teams 1-9 stop playing after next weekend AND FSU beats UF, THEN AND ONLY THEN will they have a shot!

crimsoncamaro

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 9, 2010
say bama wins the next 2 games and we are in..who gets in if notre dame loses next week, fsu beats florida and oregon beats oregon st?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
say bama wins the next 2 games and we are in..who gets in if notre dame loses next week, fsu beats florida and oregon beats oregon st?
Good question - the computers hate them both. Would come down to the human voters - and maybe the Stanford/UCLA game (regular season).

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If we beat the Barn and Georgia in the SECCG and Florida beats FSU, is there a chance that Florida can overtake us especially with their Computer Ranking. If they were #3 in the polls and still #2 in the Computer, can they overtake us? If ND were to lose, would Florida be ranked #1 in the Computer?

And what if ND does lose to USCw? Who moves up? Now, I don't think they will lose to USCw esp. since Barkley is not playing. Would it be Bama vs Florida if they beat FSU and we take care of our business?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.