Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American RammerJammer14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

Re: Stanford proves once again why Bama's defense/offense doesn't need an overhaul.

I disagree, we have run way too much shotgun lately instead of the 1-back Stanford used most of the time.

Seriously though, I wonder how different our offense would have looked this year if Fowler hadn't gotten injured. I loved the look we gave with him in the Michigan game, it looked very promising. I think we would have had a much more power-oriented offense this season. Can't wait to have him back next season. Speaking of which, I hear we picked up a commitment from a Derrick Henry who seems to have the same build as Fowler. Just an aside.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stanford proves once again why Bama's defense/offense doesn't need an overhaul.

Geez, you guys.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Stanford proves once again why Bama's defense/offense doesn't need an overhaul.

If someone said that they ought to be buried. Our offense doesn't need an overhaul. We just needed to run the ball while on the 5 last weekend. I think our offense is greater, and the loss is going to make them even better.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    It doesn't hurt that Stanford's defensive linemen have the ability to pressure the QB without the aid of a blitz being called.
    This allows the cover guys to stay in position and to offer additional run support.
    That's one area where we lack just a bit.
    That's a great point and it may relate to BamaBuzzard's notion about simplifying the defense in certain situations. I wonder if we have some talented pass rushers that don't see the field because they haven't picked up the some of the defense.

Hopefully we have a Charles Haley waiting in the wings.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ldlane View Post
    If you noticed though, Stanford didn't make "wholesale" substitutions with every package like we do. I think that is where the "tweaking" needs to be because it takes the fresh guys a bit of time to get up to game speed after they enter.
    I think I mentioned that in my post.

The ONLY adjustment I see Saban needs to make on defense is to simplify his defense a bit so it doesn't require special packages for every other play. Keep the same philosophy, same aggressiveness, but simplify it a bit. Other than that it should be business as usual.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation First Team tidefan26's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I haven't seen mention that aTm has two possible first round picks at LT and RT. Veteran receivers, and their interior lineman weren't too bad either. To think we need an "overhaul" on either side of the ball after just getting beat, is naive. We ran into a veteran team with a hot QB. It's not the first time, won't be the last.
    Sic semper tyrannis

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

We don't need an overhaul, but just some tweaks. Saban thinks so himself...we need more guys who we can trust in all situations out there instead of being so situation-based in our personnel. The tempo no-huddles are going to force our hand. It may mean getting a little smaller at SDE, Jack LB, and ILB so we can hold up against pass and run situations without compromising much. It may mean a smaller nose tackle too...a 3-down guy.

The scheme will stay the same but the personnel may need some more versatility.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tidefan26 View Post
    I haven't seen mention that aTm has two possible first round picks at LT and RT. Veteran receivers, and their interior lineman weren't too bad either. To think we need an "overhaul" on either side of the ball after just getting beat, is naive. We ran into a veteran team with a hot QB. It's not the first time, won't be the last.
    Not being able to get pressure on the QB with blitzing didn't just start in the aTm game.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    Not being able to get pressure on the QB with blitzing didn't just start in the aTm game.
    Agree. But the shouts for an overhaul did. Have we had a dominant pass rusher since Saban has been here, sans blitz?
    Sic semper tyrannis

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Upshaw is the closest and he wasn't a week-to-week dominant force...he really was almost better at scrapping down the LOS and tackling the runner for a TFL than getting sacks.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Upshaw is the closest and he wasn't a week-to-week dominant force...he really was almost better at scrapping down the LOS and tackling the runner for a TFL than getting sacks.
    Which goes to my point. We have NEVER had a dominant pass rusher, yet have won two titles. Would we LOVE one, of course. But it's not paramount to what we do defensively. The only thing I miss this year is the third down "rabbit" rusher, ex. Eric Anders, Nick Gentry. Those guys made big plays on third down. I don't see that we have that type of player this years.
    Sic semper tyrannis

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree. But the shouts for an overhaul did. Have we had a dominant pass rusher since Saban has been here, sans blitz?
    But a team doesn't have to have a dominant pass rusher to get pressure on the QB without blitzing. This year, opposing QBs seem to have more time to throw. It's not anything to panic about, but it is putting a lot of pressure on the secondary.

Post Thanks / Like

Which goes to my point. We have NEVER had a dominant pass rusher, yet have won two titles. Would we LOVE one, of course. But it's not paramount to what we do defensively. The only thing I miss this year is the third down "rabbit" rusher, ex. Eric Anders, Nick Gentry. Those guys made big plays on third down. I don't see that we have that type of player this years.
    A lot of it is just not knowing how kids are going to develop. Z and Hubbard were supposed to grow into that role, but they haven't. Also, it's worth noting that Anders wasn't that highly regarded out of HS, yet he developed in to that role...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus