Stanford proves once again why Bama's defense/offense doesn't need an overhaul.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I haven't seen mention that aTm has two possible first round picks at LT and RT. Veteran receivers, and their interior lineman weren't too bad either. To think we need an "overhaul" on either side of the ball after just getting beat, is naive. We ran into a veteran team with a hot QB. It's not the first time, won't be the last.
Not being able to get pressure on the QB with blitzing didn't just start in the aTm game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Upshaw is the closest and he wasn't a week-to-week dominant force...he really was almost better at scrapping down the LOS and tackling the runner for a TFL than getting sacks.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
Upshaw is the closest and he wasn't a week-to-week dominant force...he really was almost better at scrapping down the LOS and tackling the runner for a TFL than getting sacks.
Which goes to my point. We have NEVER had a dominant pass rusher, yet have won two titles. Would we LOVE one, of course. But it's not paramount to what we do defensively. The only thing I miss this year is the third down "rabbit" rusher, ex. Eric Anders, Nick Gentry. Those guys made big plays on third down. I don't see that we have that type of player this years.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Agree. But the shouts for an overhaul did. Have we had a dominant pass rusher since Saban has been here, sans blitz?
But a team doesn't have to have a dominant pass rusher to get pressure on the QB without blitzing. This year, opposing QBs seem to have more time to throw. It's not anything to panic about, but it is putting a lot of pressure on the secondary.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Which goes to my point. We have NEVER had a dominant pass rusher, yet have won two titles. Would we LOVE one, of course. But it's not paramount to what we do defensively. The only thing I miss this year is the third down "rabbit" rusher, ex. Eric Anders, Nick Gentry. Those guys made big plays on third down. I don't see that we have that type of player this years.
A lot of it is just not knowing how kids are going to develop. Z and Hubbard were supposed to grow into that role, but they haven't. Also, it's worth noting that Anders wasn't that highly regarded out of HS, yet he developed in to that role...

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
A lot of it is just not knowing how kids are going to develop. Z and Hubbard were supposed to grow into that role, but they haven't. Also, it's worth noting that Anders wasn't that highly regarded out of HS, yet he developed in to that role...
The question, to me, becomes "Do we have to have it this year"? I say no. Also, it seems like Denzel Devall has been able to get some pressure off the edge.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The thing people are glossing over is that it isn't about the fact the previous titles were won without a dominant Derrick Thomas-type pass rusher but the changes in philosophy across the nation are necessitating the need for effective down four pressure that makes the use of zone blitzes an occasional change up instead of a requirement to create pressure at all. Everybody else around us is changing, we have to adjust because the likelihood the majority of the SEC is playing a tempo offense in the next 5 years is pretty good.

We're going to need more guys who can be in the condition to play several series of downs and the linemen have got to be able to create some pressure on their own without help from the secondary and linebackers. The fact is that everybody sees the no-huddle as an opportunity to take away Saban's biggest advantages over them: his level of preparation and knowledge of how to defend almost everything you can throw at him is most evident when you huddle and allow him to check his defense into the best personnel and play.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The thing people are glossing over is that it isn't about the fact the previous titles were won without a dominant Derrick Thomas-type pass rusher but the changes in philosophy across the nation are necessitating the need for effective down four pressure that makes the use of zone blitzes an occasional change up instead of a requirement to create pressure at all. Everybody else around us is changing, we have to adjust because the likelihood the majority of the SEC is playing a tempo offense in the next 5 years is pretty good.

We're going to need more guys who can be in the condition to play several series of downs and the linemen have got to be able to create some pressure on their own without help from the secondary and linebackers. The fact is that everybody sees the no-huddle as an opportunity to take away Saban's biggest advantages over them: his level of preparation and knowledge of how to defend almost everything you can throw at him is most evident when you huddle and allow him to check his defense into the best personnel and play.
I think Saban can and will adjust without giving up his core philosophy on defense. The defensive line doesn't have to go from 300 lbs to 270 per man. As Herbstreit said several times last night about when Auburn, LSU and now Stanford played and stopped Oregon's offense. It came down to penetration from the defensive line. LSU's defensive line AIN'T small by any stretch of the imagination. Their ends might be light but their interior ain't. But they get penetration. That is where our Dline has struggled. If we can adjust/tweak our scheme where it allows our defensive line to get more penetration I think we're good to go. But the next defensive play I call on the D-1 level will be my first.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think Saban can and will adjust without giving up his core philosophy on defense. The defensive line doesn't have to go from 300 lbs to 270 per man. As Herbstreit said several times last night about when Auburn, LSU and now Stanford played and stopped Oregon's offense. It came down to penetration from the defensive line. LSU's defensive line AIN'T small by any stretch of the imagination. Their ends might be light but their interior ain't. But they get penetration. That is where our Dline has struggled. If we can adjust/tweak our scheme where it allows our defensive line to get more penetration I think we're good to go. But the next defensive play I call on the D-1 level will be my first.
That's the problem. The 3-4 isn't designed for the DL to get penetration. I'm not sure there are tweaks that will make DL penetration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
That's the problem. The 3-4 isn't designed for the DL to get penetration. I'm not sure there are tweaks that will make DL penetration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.
If I'm not mistaken many times we don't even run a true 3-4. Many times we have four down linemen. I've heard Saban mention this on and off during his time at Bama.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If I'm not mistaken many times we don't even run a true 3-4. Many times we have four down linemen. I've heard Saban mention this on and off during his time at Bama.
That is true. We have NTs intended for the 3-4 though. If we had Jesse and Ivory on the field together, I think we have more penetration.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Stanford could easily be mistaken for an SEC team from a scheme standpoint. Their current HC and previous HC both implement pro style systems on both offense and defense (like we do).

After the aTm game there seemed to be a epic meltdown on the board about these high tempo offenses could only be stopped by going lighter across the board on defense and changing our offense to the fling it around high paced spread option.

Then came last night. Stanford ran for over 200 yards against Oregon. Ran a four man front for much of the game. They ran their offense, even turned the ball over a few times along the way, and held the vaunted, breath taking Oregon offense to 14 points.

The ONLY adjustment I see Saban needs to make on defense is to simplify his defense a bit so it doesn't require special packages for every other play. Keep the same philosophy, same aggressiveness, but simplify it a bit. Other than that it should be business as usual.

WE BACK IN IT BOYS!!!!! STRAP'UM ON CHICKEN BONE!!!!! "SO YOU'RE SAYIN' THERE'S A CHANCE?!!!!" ROOOOOOOOOOLL TIDE ROOOOOLL!!!! :biggrin2:
The only adjustment we needed was a healthy secondary.

I'm sorry, but if we had played A&M in game 3 it would've been a rout.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
My kingdom for a Nick Gentry.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
My kingdom for a Nick Gentry.
He was my favorite not a lot of fan fair but when he was in the game
he touched the QB or whoever had the football.

I just got a feeling we are going to see someone step up in the next 2 games then everyone does in the BCG.

I don't know what we do but all the 3 & outs Coach Nuss has to fix, I think he will.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
He was my favorite not a lot of fan fair but when he was in the game
he touched the QB or whoever had the football.

I just got a feeling we are going to see someone step up in the next 2 games then everyone does in the BCG.

I don't know what we do but all the 3 & outs Coach Nuss has to fix, I think he will.
I kept watching Nick's first cousins making play after play against Oregon -- pushing the line of scrimmage a yard back almost every down, moving laterally with surprising speed.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
That is true. We have NTs intended for the 3-4 though. If we had Jesse and Ivory on the field together, I think we have more penetration.

Yeah I agree. I remember LSU and Auburn getting penetration and it causing Oregon's offense fits. It disrupted the timing and once timing is disrupted in a play bad things tend to happen. :biggrin2:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The only adjustment we needed was a healthy secondary.

I'm sorry, but if we had played A&M in game 3 it would've been a rout.
How is Bama's defense different now than Week 3? Haha, Vinnie, and Perry were even more raw than they are now. The difference then would be that A&M's offense would have been less experienced.
Yeah I agree. I remember LSU and Auburn getting penetration and it causing Oregon's offense fits. It disrupted the timing and once timing is disrupted in a play bad things tend to happen. :biggrin2:
Is that a Miles-ism? :D

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
A scheme like Oregon's still has its merits, particularly if it is paired with a dominant offensive line. Most offensive schemes fall to pieces when the defensive front gets consistent penetration.

One coach who is ahead of the game in this regard is Holgorsen at WVU. Yes, I realize they are 5-5 this season but their poor record is primarily the result of an absolutely abhorrent defense. His offense does some pretty innovative things that really negate inferior personnel on the offensive line. Check out Chris Brown's write-up on WVU's Orange Bowl destruction of Clemson (below). I think this might be the next direction for many up-tempo spread teams:

"But for now, chew on this: In the Orange Bowl, where Holgorsen’s West Virginia squad bombarded Clemson for 70 points with a variety of interesting tactics, and where his quarterback racked up over 400 yards passing and six touchdown passes, how many true, Air Raid-style dropback passes did they throw? And be careful, when you make your evaluation, because you must study the offensive line on each play. On many of those downfield passes, the linemen did not pass block at all, but instead faked a screen or a run-play for play-action, or some other diversion. Holgorsen was not comfortable with his offensive line’s play all year, so he increasingly found ways to throw the ball and get players on the perimeter and in space, while barely pass blocking at all. Study the game for yourself:

This is football deconstruction. It’s taking the building blocks of the Air Raid, of football itself, and placing them in slight variations we haven’t seen before. There’s no rule that football has to look a certain way. In this game, the chess pieces can always do the unexpected."

Here's the link:

http://smartfootball.com/offense/the-air-raid-offense-history-evolution-weirdness-from-mumme-to-leach-to-franklin-to-holgorsen-and-beyond

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
If someone said that they ought to be buried. Our offense doesn't need an overhaul. We just needed to run the ball while on the 5 last weekend. I think our offense is greater, and the loss is going to make them even better.

as weird as it sounds, i think that sometimes theres a lot more to be learned from a loss than in a win...just look at last season...i think that it might help refocus the team on their objective now that its back in front of them...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.