Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    FootMouth on TideFans.com

Re: Debunking The Myths Of The Iron Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
    That's my worry. Baylor hadn't played defense all year and suddenly they did. They've always had a good offense.

Auburn is playing better, but Baylor good?
    I disagree that they are playing better. That 51 points was against an FCS team.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Good job on that!

My biggest "worry" going into this game is the "how in the world" factor.

We saw it Saturday night. How in the world does Baylor, a team with no defense, rise up and play like that??? They were almost last in rushing stats and they run all over a "good" Kansas State defense???

The odds of Auburn pulling a rabbit out of their hat are minuscule but I guess I need something to worry about to keep me focused!
    How? Because every game is important, and your always only sixty minutes away from losing each and every saturday.

BamaNation All-American bama_fan01's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Confused on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Good job on that!

My biggest "worry" going into this game is the "how in the world" factor.

We saw it Saturday night. How in the world does Baylor, a team with no defense, rise up and play like that??? They were almost last in rushing stats and they run all over a "good" Kansas State defense???

The odds of Auburn pulling a rabbit out of their hat are minuscule but I guess I need something to worry about to keep me focused!
    I worry about them all before we kickoff! I was even worried about WCU last week, even though I knew deep down inside that we could have started our backups and hung 35 points on them.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO au is the kind of team you have to put away early, you cannot let them hang around down 7-10 points going into the 4th quarter. It is imperative we jump out quickly and keep our foot on their throat for 60 minutes.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    IMO au is the kind of team you have to put away early, you cannot let them hang around down 7-10 points going into the 4th quarter. It is imperative we jump out quickly and keep our foot on their throat for 60 minutes.
    This, squared.

To break from Selma's fine post just a bit ... I see the series through the lense of four games ... 1972, 1982, 1986 and 1997. That's a pretty depressing view, and it doesn't even include the torment of 2010.

Forget rankings. Once those games started, there was no logical way for Auburn to win. Yet they did.

Yes, "The Amazins'" had lost only once in 1972, but with the exception of the Tennessee game that year, we had blown through everyone and fully expected to do likewise in Birmingham. Then CPB made his "Cow College" comment at the close of his Sunday show. Auburn swore vengeance, then went out that day and got 80 yards total offense.

And they still won.

It happened to a lesser degree those other three years, too. Scissum fumbled in 1997 when we were five yards and 30 seconds from a victory formation, when a screen pass appeared to have been a low-risk, high-payoff play.

If you enjoy torment, go back and watch the '82 and '86 games, when we went up and down the fields like turbo mowers (Bobby Humphrey had more than 200 yards on the ground at halftime in '86) and yet fumbled or blocked in the back or found six different ways to keep Auburn around. The refs didn't help. The weeniest late hit call in the history of college football against Wayne Davis turned the '86 game completely around.

Which brings me to this: All this energy and hatred and ju-ju jammed into one game is hard to predict or control. Everything about the Iron Bowl sticks to chalk until it doesn't, and then the cackles from the cow college reach hyena pitch and the pain of living around them becomes unbearable.

Which brings me to this: If facts and historical trends bring you solace, I'm happy for you. But I'm going for my rosary and worry beads. Forty years ago, I watched David Langer run two blocked punts into the wrong end zone. Ever since, every Auburn game has scared me to death.

Kill them. Kill them now.
    Last edited by CrimsonEyeshade; November 21st, 2012 at 11:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Win Saturday. I don't care if it's 24-23 or 24-0. Just win.

Win a week from Saturday. I don't care if it's 24-23 or 24-0. Just win.

Win on Jan 7th. I don't care if it's 24-23 or 24-0. Just win.

And hoist the Crystal.

BamaNation All-American Crimson Flyboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Sports fans can be some of the most superstitious people, honestly. Two teams will take the field this saturday, and the better team will almost certainly win. It won't be because of the football gods, or fate. There is no difference between an Alabama vs. Auburn game and an Alabama vs. some other 3-8 team. Auburn is not going to suddenly become great because they are playing against Alabama. You cannot just will your way to being a great football team, and Auburn is by no means even a decent football team. Bama is going to smoke Auburn this saturday, rtr.
    שלום
    Pax
    Peace

"The sole object and only legitimate end of government is to protect the citizen in the enjoyment of life, liberty, and property, and when the government assumes other functions, it is usurpation and oppression."

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for the sake of mine."

"Any man who strives for free inquiry, free thought, and self ownership is my brother and countryman."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Flyboy View Post
    Sports fans can be some of the most superstitious people, honestly. Two teams will take the field this saturday, and the better team will almost certainly win. It won't be because of the football gods, or fate. There is no difference between an Alabama vs. Auburn game and an Alabama vs. some other 3-8 team. Auburn is not going to suddenly become great because they are playing against Alabama. You cannot just will your way to being a great football team, and Auburn is by no means even a decent football team. Bama is going to smoke Auburn this saturday, rtr.
    well if i dont find my lucky hat before saturday, we are hosed against auburn
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    FootMouth on TideFans.com

I really don't get some of the comparisons to past Iron Bowls. Seriously, how can this current season be compared to seasons like 1982, 1986, 1989, 2002, and 2005? Was auburn 3-8 with no SEC wins coming in to any of those games? The answer is no.

1982-auburn came into the game 7-3 with two very close losses and one lopsided loss to Nebraska.

1986-auburn came into the game 8-2 with two very close losses. They were literally a play or two away from being undefeated. Not to mention, we had faded down the stretch, failing to beat LSU, a game that would have clinched the SEC Title for us (this was well before divisions and the SEC Title Game) Not to mention, the team was dealing with the imminent departure of Perkins.

1989-auburn came into the game with two losses, both on the road to Tennessee (by 7) and Florida State (by 8) This was our first ever trip to jordan-hare stadium, not to mention, Bill Curry never got the auburn monkey off his back. We still won the SEC Title that year, but we had pretty well clinched it weeks before. Maybe a slight upset here, but still, 8-2 is far cry from 3-8.

2002-This one was just plain weird. Franphony to Texas A&M was a done deal. The team did not prepare for this game, and it showed from the first play. auburn was an underdog at 7-4, but again, they were not winless in the SEC.

2005-I REALLY do not get this comparison. We started the year 9-0, but once Prothro went down, not to mention JB Clausner, our starting center, we never recovered. Even the wins we had after the injuries we extremely ugly. The team was mentally out of it after that overtime home loss to LSU that would have clinched the SEC West for us. Meanwhile, auburn was 8-2 with one loss by 7 to Georgia Tech and a 3 point overtime loss to LSU in Baton Rouge. The game was in auburn, and like Bill Curry, Shula never even got close to beating auburn.

None of those are even the least bit comparable to this season. There is one comparison, and even this one is a stretch. 1998. auburn came in 3-7. We were 6-4 and not exactly having a banner year ourselves. But, at least that auburn team had one SEC win. A 17-0 win over the man who would be their head coach the following season. But, nonetheless, we won that one 31-17.

When has a three win team (either us or the barn) EVER won the Iron Bowl, especially when going up against a 10 win team?
    Last edited by We_are_Bama; November 20th, 2012 at 08:50 AM.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

Debunking The Myths Of The Iron Bowl

Good thread

Post Thanks / Like

ttt
    JUST WIN
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Tebow cried, Cam lied, Trees died, and LSU tried..........ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation First Team Kevin4Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cold on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    well if i dont find my lucky hat before saturday, we are hosed against auburn
    Maybe you can find it in here: CLICKY
    "Auburn would never admit it, but it always wanted to be Alabama when it grew up." -ESPN's Gene Wojciechowski

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Flyboy View Post
    Boy I think you are right but I do think you are over-simplifying something that is genuinely complex. All 3-8 teams are NOT created equal. Auburn has quite a bit of SEC talent, a coach with a national title under his belt (I know that was Cam Newton's title but Chizik still possesses the experience gained in the process), and they are not scared of Alabama.

Some typical 3-8 Sun Belt team has NONE of those attributes. Those attributes mean it is entirely possible that Auburn could suddenly pull it together and play their best game this Saturday. I don't know if their best game would even get them close to a win, but if we combined their best game with some untimely turnovers, then you got yourself an upset brewing.

It happens. If you don't think so then you haven't been watching college football long.

That said, I predict 41-10.