News Article: Debunking The Myths Of The Iron Bowl

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It’s late November, time for the trees to shed their leaves and become bare (except for those with toilet paper hanging from them), #1 to lose a big game, and Alabama to pulverize Auburn in the annual Iron Bowl. Due mostly to improvement in the football product put out by Auburn since the arrival of Pat Dye, a number of myths have cropped up surrounding the aura of the Iron Bowl. You are going to hear a number of those myths this week. In fact, you’ll probably hear more this week than normal because the circumstances surrounding both programs.

MYTH #1: Either team can win this game.

OK, so in a technical sense, I guess that’s true. Appalachian State did beat Michigan, after all. But this statement is usually nested among a discussion of how “the Iron Bowl is competitive and either team can pull out the victory even if they’re 0-10.” The only words for this are “unadulterated hogwash.” If anyone says this, simply ask them to list for you the upsets they can name in this series. Since it only rekindled in 1947 and Alabama rolled Auburn for most of the 1960s and 1970s, what examples can be given that substantiate this idea? Invariably, they will list in order: 1972, 1982, 1984, 2001, and 2002. Let’s dispense with the obvious ones. 2002 was an anomaly because it is clear that Dennis Franchione was already plotting his getaway a couple of weeks later. 1972 is not so memorable because it was an upset as it is how Auburn won: two blocked punts in the final five minutes, both returned for touchdowns that turned a 16-3 Tide rout into a 17-16 Auburn win. But Auburn was ranked in the top ten entering that game. While the way they won was truly phenomenal and ranks in Bama lore of painful moments right alongside the nutty pass from the end zone by Tom Clements in the 1973 Sugar Bowl and the “Cam-back” in the 2010 Iron Bowl, it can hardly be called an upset. 1982 was only considered an upset at the time because Alabama had been number 2 earlier in the year, and Auburn had not won in a decade. ANY Auburn win at that point even against an 0-10 Alabama would have been considered an upset. And the later loss by Auburn to LSU in 2001 proves that Auburn was not really all that great that year anyway. Thus, the only “true upset” of the last 65 years in the Iron Bowl is Alabama’s stunning win on December 1, 1984. And even that upset is tainted by the fact that Pat Dye simply outsmarted himself. Trailing 17-7 in the fourth quarter, Brent Fullwood hit a touchdown. Dye opted to gamble for the win early by calling for a two-point conversion that was successful and brought Auburn to within 17-15. Moments later thanks to a Tide fumble, Auburn was knocking at the door again. They got it to fourth down and goal from the one. Had Dye simply stuck with his prior plan of a field goal, Auburn gets a chip shot and – probably – wins the game. For whatever reason, he sent in a toss to Fullwood, who collided with Bo Jackson and bought the defense enough time to wrap up Fullwood and bring him down.

That one case simply does not give anyone the ammunition to argue that the Iron Bowl is closely contested and anyone can win it. The favorite nearly always wins the game – and a huge favorite ALWAYS wins the game. Bet the house on Alabama this Saturday.

MYTH #2: Coaches Are Hired And Fired on The Basis of the Iron Bowl

This is another waste of time argument that people on both sides of this rivalry actually say. It is then picked up by the clueless press (insert ESPN logo here) and proliferated. Almost every Iron Bowl and especially those telecast on ESPN feature a reference to this claim. But nobody at the four-letter network has ever bothered to do his homework. Once again – how many coaches can you name that have been fired SOLELY or even PRIMARILY because they couldn’t win the Iron Bowl?

Bill Curry? He wasn’t fired. He resigned and went to Kentucky.

Tommy Tuberville? Whatever the truth about that case, Tuberville was not fired because of the 36-0 blowout in 2008. Word on the street is he resigned and only the Auburn mafia knows. But he had won six in a row. He was not fired because of the Iron Bowl.

Terry Bowden? No, he resigned in the middle of the season. So WHO exactly has ever been fired because he couldn’t beat Alabama or Auburn?

Not counting the interims (Bill Oliver, Joe Kines), there have been eleven Alabama coaches since 1947 and seven Auburn head coaches. One of those (Mike Price) never coached a game, and the other two will coach next week. That leaves fifteen head coaches in the last 65 years whose reputation supposedly depended on the Iron Bowl win. Yet out of those fifteen coaches, only six were fired: Earl Brown, Harold “Red” Drew, JB “Ears” Whitworth, Doug Barfield, Mike DuBose, and Mike Shula. And even Drew’s case is somewhat strange as he remained the Tide track coach for another decade. Thus, we have five coaches on which this case could be made. Earl Brown had a three-year record at Auburn of 3-22-4. To make this even stranger, one of Brown’s three wins was against Alabama in 1949. Given that he was 0-10 in 1950, you would be hard-pressed to say he got fired because he lost the Iron Bowl. The same is true regarding the disastrous regime of J.B. “Ears” Whitworth, who compiled the worst record of any coach in modern Alabama football history. His 4-24-2 record coincided with Auburn’s 1957 national title, which probably had more to do with his firing than anything else.

More recent history suggests that only perhaps Barfield’s case could be considered proof of this myth. DuBose was a disaster from day one, undone by off-the-field shenanigans and on-the-field under-achievement. And I should point out that on the day DuBose was fired shortly after the Central Florida debacle in 2000, he had a 2-1 record in the Iron Bowl that should have been 3-0. Shula never beat Auburn, but he also never beat LSU and his lone victory over Tennessee had more to do with luck than anything else. A 1-11 record against those three teams would get Nick Saban fired, and it wouldn’t be because he couldn’t beat Auburn.

So does Barfield then prove the myth? Not really. Doug Barfield had the misfortune of taking over from a coach who towered over his university in the same way Johnny Vaught and Vince Dooley ruled their prospective campuses. Barfield was not such a big man, but his firing wasn’t due to his failure to win the Iron Bowl but rather his 0-6 record in the SEC in his fifth season. Thus, we have debunked the second myth.

MYTH #3: If You Go 1-11 But Win The Iron Bowl, You Had A Great Year

This myth is unquestionably the invention of Auburn fans during the heyday of a certain man in the hound’s tooth hat. For starters, the expansion of FBS to include unworthy teams at the lower end has virtually guaranteed neither team will ever enter the Iron Bowl winless. Even a terrible Auburn team managed to hang 51 points on Alabama A&M. The worst Alabama team of the last 50 years (2000) won three SEC games, two by double-digit margins. So the likelihood of this even happening is virtually nil.

But let’s assume for the sake of argument that it actually happened: does anybody REALLY believe that Alabama fans would celebrate a 1-11 year just because they happened to beat Auburn? Alabama fans begin every season looking forward to the possibility of winning the national championship. Auburn fans begin every season looking forward to seeing how they measure up to Alabama, even in years Auburn is better.

Let’s not overcome ourselves with bull. These three myths need to be abandoned immediately. Remember that – you’re going to hear a lot about them the next five days or so.

Roll Tide

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Admittedly, living in the State of Alabama would be a smidgen better/easier at 1-11 than 0-12. Anyone saying otherwise is not being truthful.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
A couple of points here:

1) I concur that Auburn would probably be happy with 1-11 and an Iron Bowl win. I meant to clarify that but oh well. That insane Auburn position is presented as if both sides feel that way.

2) I disagree to a point on it being easier to live in Alabama if a 1-11 Tide beat say an unbeaten Auburn only because you will then hear this: "They won the big game then fired their coach."

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Good job on that!

My biggest "worry" going into this game is the "how in the world" factor.

We saw it Saturday night. How in the world does Baylor, a team with no defense, rise up and play like that??? They were almost last in rushing stats and they run all over a "good" Kansas State defense???

The odds of Auburn pulling a rabbit out of their hat are minuscule but I guess I need something to worry about to keep me focused!:wink:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Good job on that!

We saw it Saturday night. How in the world does Baylor, a team with no defense, rise up and play like that??? They were almost last in rushing stats and they run all over a "good" Kansas State defense???

The odds of Auburn pulling a rabbit out of their hat are minuscule but I guess I need something to worry about to keep me focused!:wink:
That's my worry. Baylor hadn't played defense all year and suddenly they did. They've always had a good offense.

Auburn is playing better, but Baylor good?

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
That's my worry. Baylor hadn't played defense all year and suddenly they did. They've always had a good offense.

Auburn is playing better, but Baylor good?
I disagree that they are playing better. That 51 points was against an FCS team.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Good job on that!

How? Because every game is important, and your always only sixty minutes away from losing each and every saturday.

bama_fan01

Hall of Fame
Aug 25, 2003
Ranburne, AL, USA
Good job on that!

I worry about them all before we kickoff! I was even worried about WCU last week, even though I knew deep down inside that we could have started our backups and hung 35 points on them.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IMO au is the kind of team you have to put away early, you cannot let them hang around down 7-10 points going into the 4th quarter. It is imperative we jump out quickly and keep our foot on their throat for 60 minutes.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
IMO au is the kind of team you have to put away early, you cannot let them hang around down 7-10 points going into the 4th quarter. It is imperative we jump out quickly and keep our foot on their throat for 60 minutes.
This, squared.

To break from Selma's fine post just a bit ... I see the series through the lense of four games ... 1972, 1982, 1986 and 1997. That's a pretty depressing view, and it doesn't even include the torment of 2010.

Forget rankings. Once those games started, there was no logical way for Auburn to win. Yet they did.

Yes, "The Amazins'" had lost only once in 1972, but with the exception of the Tennessee game that year, we had blown through everyone and fully expected to do likewise in Birmingham. Then CPB made his "Cow College" comment at the close of his Sunday show. Auburn swore vengeance, then went out that day and got 80 yards total offense.

And they still won.

It happened to a lesser degree those other three years, too. Scissum fumbled in 1997 when we were five yards and 30 seconds from a victory formation, when a screen pass appeared to have been a low-risk, high-payoff play.

If you enjoy torment, go back and watch the '82 and '86 games, when we went up and down the fields like turbo mowers (Bobby Humphrey had more than 200 yards on the ground at halftime in '86) and yet fumbled or blocked in the back or found six different ways to keep Auburn around. The refs didn't help. The weeniest late hit call in the history of college football against Wayne Davis turned the '86 game completely around.

Which brings me to this: All this energy and hatred and ju-ju jammed into one game is hard to predict or control. Everything about the Iron Bowl sticks to chalk until it doesn't, and then the cackles from the cow college reach hyena pitch and the pain of living around them becomes unbearable.

Which brings me to this: If facts and historical trends bring you solace, I'm happy for you. But I'm going for my rosary and worry beads. Forty years ago, I watched David Langer run two blocked punts into the wrong end zone. Ever since, every Auburn game has scared me to death.

Kill them. Kill them now.

Last edited:

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
Win Saturday. I don't care if it's 24-23 or 24-0. Just win.

Win a week from Saturday. I don't care if it's 24-23 or 24-0. Just win.

Win on Jan 7th. I don't care if it's 24-23 or 24-0. Just win.

And hoist the Crystal.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Sports fans can be some of the most superstitious people, honestly. Two teams will take the field this saturday, and the better team will almost certainly win. It won't be because of the football gods, or fate. There is no difference between an Alabama vs. Auburn game and an Alabama vs. some other 3-8 team. Auburn is not going to suddenly become great because they are playing against Alabama. You cannot just will your way to being a great football team, and Auburn is by no means even a decent football team. Bama is going to smoke Auburn this saturday, rtr.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.