News Article: UNC whistleblower goes public

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
CBS Sports:

Academic Fraud Tolerated by UNC

• The no-show classes that had been offered by the chairman of the Department of African and Afro-American Studies date back at least to the time Willingham began working for the support program in 2003. Commonly known within the program as “paper classes,” they were billed as lecture classes, but the classes never met.

Willingham learned of them when she was asked to work with a female athlete on a paper. Willingham said the paper was a “cut-and-paste” job, but when she raised questions about it, staff members told her not to worry. The student later received a grade of B or better.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Should make every big-time school tremble.
Rant

The entire NCAA is a farce. There has been a balancing of greed vs enough integrity to warrant keeping it amateur for years. Greed this past 10 years with $'s dictating the every move has tipped the scales so far to the left that the system is now unmanageable and ripe for exposure. The NCAA is closer to Belmont Park than the NCAA of 1975.

I would go as far to say that the NCAA has buried some major violations the past 5 years out for the benefit of the league, self preservation of amateur status.
This would not be such a problem if a large percentage of the athletes from BCS schools were not coming from families at or below the poverty line. This system can not continue to grow like a public industry with the same rates to the workers. At some point, players that break the rules out of desperation due to financial or intelligence dilemmas will not be deemed bad necessarily. Not everyone needs college curriculum, but for some reason every 2,000 yards RB, or 6-8 PF does. They have abused "learning disabilities" to get around that. And since many are poor and black, who can complain? Works out well for the NCAA system.

Just one example, the one and done basketball rule is the biggest big money back scratching farce in sports that I can remember. It weeds out potential draft busts for the NBA while allowing college's to showcase the countries best for at least a year. Didn't Kentucky have 3 this year? Would you rather be exposed in school but be able to get your education or be Kwame Brown? I'll take Kwame's money and go back to school in a few years.

The whole system is a disingenuous these days and the media will catch up to it once it doesn't hinder their bottom line. NBC might strike 1st :).

While I love Alabama football, I feel that college football has been hijacked by people with zero regard for for tradition of the game. From the teams, bowls down to the uniform. It's all about money.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Rant

The entire NCAA is a farce. There has been a balancing of greed vs enough integrity to warrant keeping it amateur for years. Greed this past 10 years with $'s dictating the every move has tipped the scales so far to the left that the system is now unmanageable and ripe for exposure. The NCAA is closer to Belmont Park than the NCAA of 1975.

I would go as far to say that the NCAA has buried some major violations the past 5 years out for the benefit of the league, self preservation of amateur status.
This would not be such a problem if a large percentage of the athletes from BCS schools were not coming from families at or below the poverty line. This system can not continue to grow like a public industry with the same rates to the workers. At some point, players that break the rules out of desperation due to financial or intelligence dilemmas will not be deemed bad necessarily. Not everyone needs college curriculum, but for some reason every 2,000 yards RB, or 6-8 PF does. They have abused "learning disabilities" to get around that. And since many are poor and black, who can complain? Works out well for the NCAA system.

Just one example, the one and done basketball rule is the biggest big money back scratching farce in sports that I can remember. It weeds out potential draft busts for the NBA while allowing college's to showcase the countries best for at least a year. Didn't Kentucky have 3 this year? Would you rather be exposed in school but be able to get your education or be Kwame Brown? I'll take Kwame.

The whole system is a disingenuous these days and the media will catch up to it once it doesn't hinder their bottom line. NBC might strike 1st :).

While I love Alabama football, I feel that college football has been hijacked by people with zero regard for for tradition of the game. From the teams, bowls down to the uniform. It's all about money.
Haha! You said "Kwame Brown"!!!! :pDT_jok: on TideFans.com

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Haha! You said "Kwame Brown"!!!! :pDT_jok: on TideFans.com
I actually know the guy. He went to my High School and was in my mothers class along with Adam Wainright.. Was friends with Davis Love growing up.

St. Simons Island was a great place to grow up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.