Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American EscaTider's Avatar

What is the possibility of a split National Title?

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Sorry - not true. For proof, look in your trophy case.
    Yes, I know what you are saying. What I'm getting at is that for the average fan around the country, and college football in general, the BCS champion is thought of as THE national champion.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: What is the possibility of a split National Title?

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAFEVER50 View Post
    Well put, see Auburn for an example. The frustrating part, for you too I'm sure, is the what if of the buckeyes. I would love to see them play an SEC team and get a true gauge an the Urban project.
    I went into this season knowing that we were guilty, so I have no hard feelings about this season. The reality - this Buckeyes team is playing without the pressure that they would normally feel. We have had many very close calls this season. Not sure that we would even be competitive against Alabama this year. Our time will come.

BamaNation All-SEC

You just threw the AP trophies in the garbage? I noticed that you gave your players separate rings for the BCS and AP championships. I assume you value both. Am I wrong?
    Oh ok, I just didn't make out your point. I have no idea about rings or anything like that. It is now a BCS world though, so an AP championship is just a added bonus bonus at this point.

I do agree that if the AP voters were open to voting Ohio State #1, they would have already moved them up to #2 behind Notre Dame.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by EscaTider View Post
    Yes, I know what you are saying. What I'm getting at is that for the average fan around the country, and college football in general, the BCS champion is thought of as THE national champion.
    It certainly has more legitimacy, but I doubt that any team (including Alabama) would disregard an AP national championship if they were passed over for the BCSCG.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    I do agree that if the AP voters were open to voting Ohio State #1, they would have already moved them up to #2 behind Notre Dame.
    Yep - that was my main point. They seem to purposely be keeping themselves from that precipice.

BamaNation First Team BamaAlum97's Avatar

Sorry - not true. For proof, look in your trophy case.
    I am certain that if it was split and Bama won the AP and not the BCS, we would still count it as #15...
    Twitter: @BamaAlum97

The University of Alabama: Class of 1997
    Oklahoma State University: Class of 2005

There is a fine line between being a "die-hard" fan and just another critic!

BamaNation All-SEC

Banned from Big Ten Championship Game + Banned from Bowl Game = No split title for Ohio State
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!

BamaNation All-SEC Timberline Tide's Avatar

Okie lite pinned a lot of hopes on the same thing last year. It didn't happen then, won't this year either.

BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar

Even if the AP spits the vote, it's completely irrelevant these days. We are currently in the BCS era and that is all that matters. LSU won the BCS Championship in 2003 ergo they won the national championship, period.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JD95 View Post
    Banned from Big Ten Championship Game + Banned from Bowl Game = No split title for Ohio State

Exactly. If they were allowed to play in their championship, I could see it. But not going to any bowl game at all and no conference championship, does not equate to an AP Trophy.

But, I would not be surprised if they were ranked in the top 5 preseason next year.
    Roll Tide

Suspended
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Last night I saw an officiating crew in Madison work their stripes off to keep OSU undefeated, and the Big 10 somewhat relevant

Suspended
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideMom2Boys View Post
    But, I would not be surprised if they were ranked in the top 5 preseason next year.
    ^^^ THIS is what Delany and his officiating minions are working for this year

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TrueGritnPluck View Post
    ^^^ THIS is what Delany and his officiating minions are working for this year
    That is what you are hanging your hat on - a conference wide officiating conspiracy designed to get one of the B1G team ranked in the top 5 to start the season NEXT YEAR?

We still have a big game with Michigan to close out the season, but next year is going to be tough. We lose a lot of talent to graduation and we do not get the benefit of the extra bowl practices. If we are somehow ranked in the top 5 to start the season, it will be hard to stay there - but it will not be because of some great conspiracy.