Matt Barkley Out For The Notre Dame Game

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Maybe old news by now. I honestly didn't think ND could beat them with Barkley in the line up because I felt
USC's receivers would eat the Irish's young secondary alive.
USC will now start a freshman at QB. Looks like Notre Dame will get yet another lucky break which is fine with me
because I can't think of any team I'd rather play than them should we make it to the BCS Championship Game.

sip

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Alabama played a few teams this year without their starting QB - you play the hand you are dealt. I think that the USC backup QB is supposed to be pretty solid - he just lacks experience. I just wonder if this, combined with their #1 ranking, will diminish ND's commitment this week in practice. If it does, ND could struggle in this game. USC is going to be very motivated after their loss to UCLA.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Maybe old news by now. I honestly didn't think ND could beat them with Barkley in the line up because I felt
USC will now start a freshman at QB. Looks like Notre Dame will get yet another lucky break which is fine with me
because I can't think of any team I'd rather play than them should we make it to the BCS Championship Game.

sip
Wait, wait, wait...

I thought everyone was talking about US backing into the title game?

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL
Alabama played a few teams this year without their starting QB - you play the hand you are dealt. I think that the USC backup QB is supposed to be pretty solid - he just lacks experience. I just wonder if this, combined with their #1 ranking, will diminish ND's commitment this week in practice. If it does, ND could struggle in this game. USC is going to be very motivated after their loss to UCLA.
I just can't see a Lane Kiffin coached team being motivated at all. A team takes on the personna of their coach, and Lane is a spoiled little rich kid that thinks he is entitled to the world. I was pulling for Lane to win out just to help Bama, but that does not factor into anything now. So I hope ND beats them, so when the Tide beats ND maybe it will shut the mouths of the talking heads that have hyped up the Irish all year.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Notre Dame would be the easiest team to beat if we get the job done. Plus it would be huge in ratings. I hope they beat them. No way anyone jumps us with two more victories, and if we lose, it wouldn't matter either. Two teams will survive with 1 loss.

Notre Dame would be a great team to play for the championship, the most rewarding victory.

BamaLadyinMS

3rd Team
Nov 20, 2006
South Mississippi
I hate to see any player hurt, but I really hope Notre Dame beats USC. Alabama and Notre Dame in the BCS game--how awesome would that be? Of course we still have to get past AU and GA first.....

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
I like the idea of a BCS matchup with Notre Dame. I also like our chances, but I'm afraid they won't be quite the pushover we all hope. Brian Kelly seems to have his stuff together... reminds me a lot of Saban in the way he does things. .... OK, fire away :smile:

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
I can't see USC winning this. Love to see us get another shot at ND. I still remember 1973 and it is time to set that record straight. Over the years, we have played ND six times and lost five of them. A championship game with Bama and ND would be great. But, we have business to take care of before that can happen.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Barkley was bad about turnovers. If the backup can toss it up to Woods and Lee then they may be better off than with Barkley throwing INTs left and right. I think USC has a very good chance to win the game.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Personally, I'd rather play... and obliterate... Notre Dame.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
I guess I'm one of the few hoping ND wins out now...would love to see Bama win a NC championship against an undefeated ND in Miami.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
See, I'm not as noble as most of y'all. I never want notre dame to win any game against anybody. I reject the "good for college football" meme entirely. I hope notre dame goes 0-12 every year; I've enjoyed their recent years of football quite a bit. While I don't like USC at all (speaking of annually overrated...), I hope the freshman QB throws for 600 yards & they crush the irish. But if--as I expect--the irish win, then I hope we take care of business in three more games, the last one vs. them.

Now, back to Auburn...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

sip
For the first time in my life this Saturday I'm going to be pulling hard for the Irish. Almost feel dirty to even admit it, but about 4 or 5 weeks ago I started thinking about how great a Bama/ND BCSNCG would be.

We've got to take care of business and win two important games, but the possibility of it happening is very, very likely now.

This game would be epic! Huge! It would be more ginormous than Bama/Texas! It would be the dream matchup for those who love the traditional powers!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'm no N.D. hater but......

This is a team that went to 3 O.T.'s to defeat Pittsburgh and arguably was also helped by the officiating to win that game.

Add to this a U.S.C. squad with nothing to lose to play all out and upset the #1 undefeated team in the country.

Their freshman QB who is filling in for Barkley is Max Wittek at 6' 4" 235 lbs. and has a record of 8/9 for 95 yds. 1 TD and 0 int. He's played in 2 games this season...Colorado and UCLA where he went 3 for 3 for 40 yds. He lacks experience but has decent credentials so I'm not sure the QB issue is as huge as it may seem on the surface.

For me....this game could go either way - I really believe U.S.C. could beat N.D. even without Barkley.

Lastly....IMHO, Bama's toughest opponent going forward will be the Dawgs in the SECCG. If they get past them...no one will beat them.

We'll know more after next weekend but for now those are my thoughts on U.S.C. vs. N.D.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Would love to play ND for the crystal trophy.
Can you imagine the TV ratings for that game?
Plus it would be a great match up for us to win, they'd be hard pressed to score 10 points on us.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
USCw may be without their starting QB, but the cupboard ain't exactly bare either.
Likely a lot of teams wish they had the USCw #2 QB, much as they would like to have our #2.
I expect USCw won't have to simplify their Offense too much when they play #2 QB...

USCw biggest problems may be Lane Kiffen and daddy...
(USCw thought they were buying more than what they got, with the Kiffens...)

That said I expect ND to use up the last of their 'Luck of the Irish' this week...

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Wittek was one of the highest rated QB's in last year's recruiting class.

He is big....and has an arm like a cannon.

The Trojans have 2 highly talented receivers and a top-notch running back.

This game will come down to a battle of U.S.C. offense against N.D. defense.

Don't sell the frosh Q.B. short (npi)!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Kiffin has been silent about injuries all year but decides to announce this injury a week before the game? Wouldn't shock me to see Barkley play. Easily could be an attempt by Kiffin to make ND prepare for the running game (protect young QB) and then constantly throw with Barkley.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.