What to make of Malzahn in Mobile, today. Hmm ...

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
Malzahn 'hurting' for Auburn, but focused on Arkansas State

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/11/gus_malzahn_hurting_for_auburn.html#incart_river_default

MOBILE, Alabama -- Gus Malzahn is running his own football program now at Arkansas State. But that doesn't mean he's oblivious to what has happened atAuburn since he left the Plains.

Malzahn spent the previous three seasons as the Tigers' offensive coordinator, including Auburn's undefeated 2010 campaign. This year, the Tigers head into the Iron Bowl with a 3-8 record.

"I'm very close to a lot of the players and some of the coaches," Malzahn said on Monday night, "and I just wish them nothing but the best and, hopefully, they can finish this thing."

Later, he said, "I'm hurting for them."

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
Re: What to make of Malzaln in Mobile, today. Hmm ...

Betcha y'all all a quarter right now ....

Given the success Texas A&M and, to a lesser extent, Mississippi had against us ....

Given that Auburn still has so many "skill" (I know, with that record, how skilled
can they be?) players better suited for a spread attack ...

Given the success Malzahn is having in his first head gig ...

Given that the biggest hurdle may be figuring out a way that everyone can live with Mrs. Malzahn ...

I believe there's more than a puncher's chance that Gus will be the guy.

Friend of mine with AU connections says that keeping the defensive coordinator is the priority in all of this, but that he doesn't want to be be head coach but will have great say in who is.

Sure, guessing with Auburn's collective psychosis is the farthest thing from an exact science, but the stars may be aligning for Gus like never before.
That's the best news I've heard in years...probably the funniest news, as well.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile

I wouldn't take anything from Malzahn being in Mobile yesterday. There are college football coaches speaking at various events in Mobile every week of the college football season.

The group that Malzahn was speaking to is tied in with the GoDaddy.com Bowl and Arkansas State is the leading candidate to represent the Sun Belt Conference in that bowl game this year. Malzahn, Barry Alvarez, Ron Zook, Ellis Johnson, Howard Schnellenberger, Joey Jones, Bobby Bowden, etc. have spoken to that group this year.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

The record will show that the guy with the funny mustache has done an excellent job everywhere he's been. Georgia's defense fell off the end of the earth after he stopped coaching it. If he stays at Auburn, he'll turn that defense around.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL

I've heard that there were too many bridges burned between AU and Malzahn. It would take a lot to convince him to even entertain an Auburn offer, IMO.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

He took a pretty substantial pay cut when he left the barn. Money talks, and he could en up there again, but I doubt it....
Exactly..And with him knowing how the "good ole boys" truly run things at The Barn..And he knows the NCAA is still snooping around in Lee County is reasons enough to keep him from taking the job..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.